Print

Author Topic: Tournament/Competitive Play  (Read 3949 times)

« on: April 01, 2011, 09:31:57 PM »
I've been on a sort of competitive streak lately. Do you guys have any good tournament stories? How often do you participate? Would any of you be interested in getting a forum tourney going?

For those interested, the "Play to Win" games I tend to gravitate towards are SSBB, Super Turbo, I guess you can count Tetris, and Monday Night Combat. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
I would be interested in a SSBB tournament, assuming incredible luck with the Wi-Fi.

I was pretty into Tetris a while back, but I was never great and what little skill I gained has probably atrophied to nothing by now.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
The Super Smash Brothers series and Pokemon series are the only ones I've played in a competitive environment.

I'd definitely be up for a Brawl tournament, despite the horrid online lag.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
A couple years back I participated in a yearly shmups score tournament over on the system11 forums. I entered last year (and was actually the captain of a team), but various real life factors conspired to make it impossible for me to participate. Hopefully there won't be any issues like that this year, though whether or not you play never matters much when you're going up against world record-level players.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 12:07:37 AM »
I have a lot of Guitar Hero tournament experience and have won various sums of money from those, the most at one time being $90.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 01:16:27 AM »
GH_Tournament.wmv

GH_Tournament 2.wmv

There are two GH tournaments that happened to be filmed. I've been in at least 3 others.

CoconutMikeNIke: Do you have Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix?

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 01:56:35 AM »
I do not. I was last attending tournaments when I was still at RIT, and my buddy had it, so I just used his 360. Since buying my own 360 I haven't had the itch for it until now, but I can't justify spending money on it until I get a job again.   
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 06:17:37 AM »
You went to RIT? I'm an alumni from there too!

Small world. Did you take part in any of the Smash tournies while there? EGS had a few.

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 01:34:57 PM »
I went to a few events there, and I went to a couple of pretty good tournies at MCC. It was there I got beat so bad by some guy playing Ganondorf, it was comical. Ran into him again at a tourney at RIT, but wasn't matched against him. 

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »
I've got the same story as bobman37 and Lizard Dude, except the contests I went to weren't nearly as bustling as Lizard Dude's, and the greatest winning I ever got was an Xbox 360 with a Guitar Hero World Tour Bundle. The worst winning I got was 3 bottles of root beer, and a bargain bin movie, and that was after traveling the width of Wisconsin to get there.

I'd be totally interested in a TMK Brawl tournament, although I'd probably get my butt kicked, it'd still be fun to participate.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 04:20:46 AM »
They had tournaments for a bunch of games at my college last Saturday. I registered for Super Smash Bros. 64 and Mario Kart Wii. Winning that Super Smash Bros. Tournament was honestly easier than having two Level 9 CPUs team against me with Team Attack on.

Mario Kart Wii is a different story. I won that one too, but not by much. For some very strange reason, the judges thought it was a good idea for us to play with CPU players in a Grand Prix. Now I had to worry about more Blue Shells being thrown at me. Regardless, it was a fun tournament (too bad the prizes were incredibly lame).
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
I actually attended a MKW tournament a couple of months ago at my college, but it was the first time they'd ever done one, so they weren't able to find enough people that actually had everything unlocked to allow all courses to be played, thus eliminiating some of my stronger courses (notably Bowser Castle 3) as options.  Furthermore, they only let us use Wii Wheels, thereby softening the competition in general (if I had to guess, 90% of us normally used Gamecube controllers).  I did get to the final round, but I came in second every race (we raced four courses, four players at a time).  Just as well, as I think all they were giving away were T-shirts with the LAN party logo on them.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 01:45:09 AM »
So there's a tournament at my local comic shop on the 2nd for Street Fighter 4 AE and MvC3. I won't be participating because I haven't enough practice, but I do believe my buddy will be in it, and I'll no doubt tag along if he does. But why I am here is to share some varying normal, odd, and crazy-no-nonsense rules. Straight from the site: 

Tournament Rules:
1. BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER
2. AFTER EVERY MATCH TURN OFF CONTROLLER
3. PAUSING DURING ANY MATCH WILL RESULT IN A ROUND LOST (MVC3 CHARACTER LOST)
4. PRESSING THE HOME BUTTON WILL RESULT IN A KICK IN THE NUTS
5. RESULTS OF ANY MONEY MATCHES MUST BE HANDLE OUTSIDE OF STORE
6. The tournaments will be run on ps3 but there will be an xbox360. If an xbox player is matched up against a ps3 player, the match will be played on ps3.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 03:24:24 AM »
Hahaha, it's like that Brawl Club. Except awesome.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 09:53:19 AM »
All of those are sensible reasons, at least. (PS3 is what's used for official tournaments like EVO, for those not aware. Unlike the 360, it allows input from a wide variety of controllers, which is a big deal when you have players who use things like keyboards and USB Sega Saturn pads.)

While we're on the subject of fighting games, I'd be up for playing anyone here in any GGPO-capable fighting game (in particular, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Vampire Savior, or The King of Fighters '98). If I'm available to play I'll be in #tmk as Illyasviel (meaning I'm on my laptop and using someone else's connection rather than my terrible home connection).

Print