Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1260401 times)

« Reply #4320 on: July 04, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
Apple pie again...kidding.

I'm alive and I've got books and no summer school.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4321 on: July 04, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
I just got back from a mad fun 4th of July celebration at my friend's, although I had to choose between two parties, which was tough. In the end, I picked the one that had more people I knew, which turned out pretty well. One girl really seemed to like me, if you catch my drift.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4322 on: July 04, 2009, 09:55:03 PM »
I was at a great Fourth of July celebration earlier today as well. I ended up doing massive amounts of tech support on the hosts' computers, which are depressingly old (one much worse than the other, which is newer than my desktop even though it's weaker) but now running better than they were before I got my hands on them. (Note in case I have to log into a Netgear router again: Default username "admin," password "password".)

Also, the new shell I ordered for my DS will ship from Hong Kong tomorrow. I'll probably find out that it's shipped shortly before I go to see the postponed fireworks from today. It should be here Friday or so.

« Reply #4323 on: July 05, 2009, 01:47:05 AM »
Amazon had a sale today and I bought Animal Crossing City Folk brand new for $20.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #4324 on: July 05, 2009, 04:25:46 PM »
You've made one slick purchase there, Pt... Provided that you didn't own Wild World already. City Folk is essentially a large-screen carbon copy of the DS game, albeit with a smattering of new features here and there.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #4325 on: July 06, 2009, 09:32:46 AM »
I had Wild World but I sold it a while back.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4326 on: July 06, 2009, 09:05:10 PM »
I just bought my first physical albums in about two years: Divided by Night by The Crystal Method and All-Pro Soundtrack by Z-Trip. Very satisfied.
every

« Reply #4327 on: July 07, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »
You know, the last physical album I bought doesn't really count as an album because it was a Greatest Hits CD (Jimi Hendrix).  However, I burned an iTunes card on Sky Blue Sky by Wilco and I have to say it's one of the best albums I've listened to in a long time, front to back.  Seems like all of the songs really tie together well, and the mood is very relaxing and kind of folksy.

BTW, how is The Crystal Method, Glorb?  I keep hearing good things about them but I have yet to really listen to some of their stuff...
-------------

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4328 on: July 07, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
They're primarily breakbeat with rock and rap influences; they're not as aggressive as, say, The Prodigy, but not as funky and R&B-influenced as Fatboy Slim. They were pretty huge during the 90s, and one of their albums (either Tweekend or Legion of Boom) has had every single track from it licensed in some way, something extremely rare. However, once they started realizing pretty much anything they churned out would end up netting them royalties from an action movie trailer or Nike commercial, they became heavily formulaic and reliant on their existing sound; case in point, almost everything on Legion of Boom sounds like a 5-minute loop of a 30-second trailer soundtrack. Their new album, Divided by Night, is a total 180 flip, focusing way less on heavy beats and rock guitars and having a darker, more cerebral production. It's way different from their earlier stuff, and in a few cases, a little too un-heavy to support some parts of the songs. All in all, though, it's a great album.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4329 on: July 07, 2009, 04:30:32 PM »
The last--and first--physical album I think I ever bought was Jellyfish's Best! Greatest 20-odd dollars I ever spent.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4330 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »
Am I crazy for preferring CD's over MP3 albums? I just find the all-encompassing sound of external speakers much more pleasant than the "confined" effect of headphones. My iTunes selection consists of a mere handful of downloaded albums and nearly 100 physical CDs whose tracks have been imported into iTunes.

« Reply #4331 on: July 07, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »
I just prefer CD albums because they're more concrete, more traditional, than electronically-downloaded music.  The sound quality doesn't make much difference, because if I want decent sound I can just play my iPod out of a speaker or something. 
Regardless, I'm in the same situation, Weegee; the vast majority of the music on my iPod is from CDs, I've probably only purchased about 50 songs or so out of around 1200.
-------------

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4332 on: July 07, 2009, 07:33:03 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same camp as you two. I don't really listen to modern music, anyway, so I don't have to worry all that much about buying digital or physical tunes.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4333 on: July 07, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »
That's uncanny, Fox: I have sixty-odd downloaded songs out of 1150 files. Likewise, perhaps my inclination towards CDs comes from the music industry's aggressive agenda for abandoning physical manifestations of music altogether. Well, that, and because I love impressing older relatives with my extensive oldies/classic rock collection.

« Reply #4334 on: July 07, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »
That's crazy, guys; either we all have similar tastes in music or it's just a TMK thing :P

It really does seem that the industry is trying to move to all-electronic music and to get rid of traditional storage (oh well, over to the ANGST thread, I guess).  The unfortunate thing is that now that people can buy only the songs that they recognize/have heard on the radio, they can't enjoy the experience of listening to an entire album.  Some albums, such as Radiohead's "OK Computer" or "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys, can't fully be enjoyed without just putting in a CD and listening to the whole thing, front to back.
-------------

Print