Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1695761 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7080 on: January 21, 2011, 10:23:27 AM »
I wish.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7081 on: January 21, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »
Life's what you make of it, buddy. If you think it's going to be  awful, then it's going to be.

But he who has low expectations is never disappointed.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7082 on: January 21, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
Well, why haven't you gotten one then?

« Reply #7083 on: January 21, 2011, 04:51:25 PM »
But he who has low expectations is never disappointed.

I have pretty standard expectations and I'm heavily disappointed.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7084 on: January 21, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »
Well, why haven't you gotten one then?
Don't think I haven't tried.  Of course, I also need to get a driver's license to have any sort of real options.  And that's what really scares me, not the getting a job part.

« Reply #7085 on: January 22, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
I was scared too, not really driving until I also had a job. My suggestion is to take a car to a local park and drive around there, getting a feel for the vehicle, or just driving in general. It'll be like second nature after  a while. :)

Are there two parts to your state's driving test? A written part, and an actual driving part, or do you know?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7086 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
I think there's just the driving bit as far as testing goes.

I've been driving for a couple of years now.  I wish I were more comfortable with it, but I'm not.  I'm certainly not ready to drive on my own.  I would have been in dozens of accidents by now if I didn't have a parent in the front seat.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7087 on: January 22, 2011, 11:43:15 PM »
How often do you drive? It takes practice to get comfortable and if you're not driving frequently then you're not going to get comfortable.

When I was learning to drive, I wasn't comfortable doing it either. It was stressful and wasn't something I was chomping at the bit to do. But what I did was went ahead and scheduled my driver's exam anyway. That gave me a solid date so I couldn't keep putting it off, which forced me to keep practicing up until the date rolled around.

Things won't improve unless you do something about it and crying that you have "no future" isn't going to get you one, ya know?

« Reply #7088 on: January 23, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
Yeah man I was pretty scared of driving when I first started. When my scheduled driving sessions were coming up I'd be nervous all day. My instructor had me going on big roads really early, which I realized is a good way to just get the scary stuff out of the way fast. It took me probably a year before I was totally completely comfortable with driving (toward the end it was mostly long distances and areas I didn't know that made me nervous), and even now I get a little anxious on the freeway. But it's important to be confident and practice defensive driving, your confidence in your skill should overshadow nerves.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7089 on: January 23, 2011, 07:06:35 AM »
It's city driving that hits me the hardest.  Freeways are easy for me since there are no turns and everyone's going the same direction, and the speed limit stays constant most of the way.  But city driving?  Morons around every corner.  I've never had any problems on a straight road going at a high speed.  It's when I'm stopped at intersections that I'm worried about.

And I'm not worried about not having a future.  I said I have nothing to look forward to, not "no future."  I have a future.  I don't want to face it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:31:35 AM by Turtlekid1 »

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7090 on: January 23, 2011, 12:27:16 PM »
You're nitpicking words.

If you have time to complain about it, you have time to fix it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7091 on: January 23, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »
Well, that's just not true.  It takes a lot less time to complain about something on the Internet than it takes to significantly change it.

« Reply #7092 on: January 23, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
Then use the time it takes to complain about it to change it.

« Reply #7093 on: January 23, 2011, 02:45:08 PM »
But city driving?  Morons around every corner.  I've never had any problems on a straight road going at a high speed.  It's when I'm stopped at intersections that I'm worried about.

I was worried about that too, and there are morons in every town. Just kinda go with the flow of traffic. Whenever I reach an intersection, if there's no stoplight, I generally take my time pulling up to it. I'll slow down just a little bit sooner to make sure I was the last one to reach my stop sign. That way, there is no way the moron across from me can tell me they had right-of-way in an accident.

Edit: If it wasn't for my son having to go back to the state's Children's Hospital every month/couple of months, I never would have gotten over my fear of highway driving, and/or driving long distances (it's a 2 hour drive down there..)

What gets me is these people that stop when there's not even a stop sign or when they have right-of-way, but that's a rant/story for another time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:47:03 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7094 on: January 23, 2011, 05:38:17 PM »
Or when they slow down for a green light.

Print