Print

Author Topic: Emulators vs. Consoles  (Read 18184 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:43:10 PM »
Well, there are lots of situations where it can be fun to tinker with the different settings like that.  Emulation might allow you to extract game assets or discover secrets in the code.  Sometimes an emulator can even improve the experience, say, by increasing the resolution a game is rendered at.  But I still like accuracy, and my PC's not set up for serious modern gaming, so I mostly use emulators for handhelds or very old systems in general.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »
How does emulation on a Nintendo Wii console fit into this contest?  That's my current preferred "experience". 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 01:36:34 AM »
I have one ROM on my computer, but I don't like playing it because using a keyboard as a video game controller feels awkward to me.  I've seen VG controllers that connect to computers.  Do they work on ROMs?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 10:41:58 AM »
They work on emulators.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:01:47 AM »
The Super Gameboy does not work on emulators either but I have information about it. There is an action replay code for it to work on ZSNES and a real SNES if you don't have a gb game but I can't give you the code because I didn't make it. Super Gameboy doesn't work either but there is a code for that as well.
http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=13695
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »
Well, firstly, I refuse to play roms of games from any current game systems, whatever the case. The only way I ever play gamecube or wii games is on the actual system (besides, there's no real way to play games from those systems on your computer yet, but if there was, I wouldn't do it.)

Now, on the other hand, I see nothing wrong with playing games that are not readily available. A couple years ago, I constantly played Smash Bros and Mario Kart for the N64 on an emulator because buying a real system would be much harder (yard sales, ebay auctions, and all second hand ways were the only way to go, none of which are very reliable). Now days, with the Virtual Console, actual versions of many games are available for download from Nintendo, so I don't play emulators actively anymore, unless its a game thats not on the Virtual Console yet.

Basically, I'm against just playing games on an emulator if you don't want to pay a few bucks to Nintendo and play them on the Wii. Other cases are fine with me, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:09:35 AM by Zarkanthesmasher »
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
I only really play games emulated for purposes of hacking(or playing hacked games), or beating old games I just never got around to finishing before. If something's available for a console I have, I'll buy it. I got Sonic Mega Collection instead of emulating, same with Mario 64 DS(in a sense, though it's a different game). I'd also buy a Mother/Earthbound collection.

Actually, I think I love playing pirate games or testing out abstract, messed up game saves as well.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 05:47:46 PM »
Sonic Mega Collection is emulation! Hahahahahahhahahaha
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
The Super Gameboy does not work on emulators either but I have information about it. There is an action replay code for it to work on ZSNES and a real SNES if you don't have a gb game but I can't give you the code because I didn't make it. Super Gameboy doesn't work either but there is a code for that as well.
http://board.gscentral.org/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=13695
I don't understand what you're saying.  Aren't Super Game Boy features usually built into Game Boy emulators rather than Super Nintendo Entertainment System emulators?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
I'm gonna go with:

-I like seeing the boxart/cartridge art
-I like stuff that's legal...
-MY COMPUTER SUCKS!

but, games that are collections of older games work for me (sega classics collection, PSP) because that's true emulation (saving, loading to cheat the game) and I can pick up where I left off.

the virtual console for Wii isn't as adept as it should be, though. and I don't like using a different controller to play my favorite old games.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 10:07:46 PM »
I'm fine with illegal downloads of anything (music, ROMs, movies, what have you), but I follow a loose "code of honor".

ROMs: If it's a serious classic (Metroid, SMB, Tetris, etc.) or, even more importantly, an underappreciated one (Earthbound, Duck Tales, Jackyl, etc.), don't emulate unless you own it.

Music: If it's indie/alternative/not widely known (Buckethead or Bloc Party or some such), just pay for it. Same goes for groups that are just plain awesome (Daft Punk and Wolfmother).

Movies: Pfft, everything's fair game. Especially secks tapes.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »
ROMs: If it's a serious classic (Metroid, SMB, Tetris, etc.) or, even more importantly, an underappreciated one (Earthbound, Duck Tales, Jackyl, etc.), don't emulate unless you own it.
You do know how hard it is to own EarthBound these days?? I'm holding out for Chupperson to get a copy and give me a good deal so I won't have to pay $90+ for a cart on eBay.

And, just a reminder, because this thread is leaning towards "Emulation = computer!!"

All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »
To add to what Bird Person is saying, I use SNEmulDS to play Wario's Woods (which I do own), Super Tetris 3 (which is Japan-only, another reason for console emulation), and EarthBound (same reason as BP except without the hope of me getting a copy).

Also, the current version of Lameboy (GB/GBC emulator for the DS) has SGB support. Game Boy emulators for the PC have it as well.

Also also, on the subject of legal emulation, the PC versions of Taito Legends and Taito Legends 2 run actual ROM dumps through what I believe to be a specialized version of MAME.

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »
You might be right on that one.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2008, 09:37:54 PM »
I prefer the console. But it is very very hard to find a working NES nowadays, and keeping it working, so thats when you need a emulator.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Print