Print

Author Topic: Chaotic Concerts  (Read 6102 times)

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« on: April 10, 2007, 10:18:05 PM »
While attending the totally-awesome Chevelle concert yesterday night, I thought that a good idea for a topic would be to have everyone talk about their concert experiences (if any). So, what concerts have you been to? Who played there/how well did they play? What was it like there? Were there people holding candles or people flying in the air and moshing (like where I went)? Did you enjoy it? Would you recommend that band to anyone? Please talk about your concert experiences here.

So far, I've been to about three real concerts with nationally-/internationally-recognized bands: Soundgarden (before they were popular and when I was really young), George Thorogood, and Chevelle. Every concert was great. I can't remember much about the Soundgarden concert except that my dad, a friend of his, and I were searching for our other friends who were no where to be found. We walked through a big crowd, and I remember that it was loud enough for me to want to cover my ears (I was young at the time). At the George Thorogood concert, people were moving around with the beat of the music, drinking, and having a great time, and I was, too. It was an awesome concert, and my official first real rock band concert in my mind. At the Chevelle concert, moshing was going on up front as the band thrashed. People were crowd surfing and everything, and I even saw a guy get carried out of the place by two of his buddies (serves them right, I say, as I'm not a big supporter of the ideas of moshing). The concert was great and very loud, but that made it all the better.

Now that I have dwelled on the topic a little, why don't you?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 09:43:51 AM by Mr. Melee »
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:13:10 PM »
We walked through a big crowd, and I remember that it was loud enough for me to want to cover my ears (I was young at the time).
This makes it sound like you think it's babyish to want to protect your hearing. What?
That was a joke.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:03:23 AM »
The first concert I ever went to was Q101's Jamboree '98, headlined by the Foo Fighters. The other bands there were Creed, Ben Folds Five, Eve 6, Barenaked Ladies, as well as a few other bands that were really only popular during that year, and -- the reason I'm writing this -- They Might Be Giants.

TMBG was to play on the second stage, so when it was time for their set, our group went over and stood on the asphalt in front of the stage, but most every one else got there before us and we ended up near the back of the crowd. Even though it was prohibited, there was a steady flow of crowd surfing going on during the set. About halfway through, this big guy starts surfing by, traveling left to right in front of us. He wasn't incredibly obese or anything, but people were having trouble keeping him up as he was moving across. When he was about 10 feet in front of us, he fell. Hard. I couldn't see the dude, but I heard a woman say something like, "You can see the bone sticking through his leg!" And that's pretty much all I remember about TMBG's set.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 04:25:47 AM »
This makes it sound like you think it's babyish to want to protect your hearing. What?
I think he means that it's easier for a young child to damage its hearing.

Anyway, I've been to like, five concerts. Three of them were country music concerts, and they weren't too loud or exciting. The other two were both Lynyrd Skynyrd concerts; the first one wasn't too great since we were far away but whatever. The second one, however, was pretty interesting. The concert was rained out, and boy oh boy was that stadium filled with angry rednecks. I was pretty angry myself; my spot was about 10 feet from the stage when the concert was canceled. I don't know what it is about being near the band in a concert. It's just really awesome.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »
The only concert I've been to was when I was about six and my mom took me to something that I forget.
every

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »
Great name for a band.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »
Err, I saw Ringo Starr do a concert in the Summer of 2001 with whatever band he's in now (or was at that time).

Because it was almost 6 years ago already, I cannot remember for the life of me what songs he did, or anything special that happened.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
I have been to a Weird Al concert. When I was little. That's all.

My friend, however, went to a concert and started a killer grass fight. I'll post a video as soon as I find it.

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 05:36:21 AM »
I've never been to a big name concert, partly because I never had, until recently perhaps, an interest or knowledge at all of popular music like that and partly because I live in Montana.

The coolest group I've probably seen in person was Free Flight.

Ah, and the More Friends Final Fantasy concert before E3 2005 was awesome except for the POP!s. Extra awesome since CW and MB were there.

Also extra awesome because it's the only time I've seen a Pictochat room full 16/16.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:12:18 AM »
I just noticed: Mr. Melee spelled "Chaotic" like "Choatic".
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:39:01 PM »
LD reminds me that I should buy the CD of that concert. Although I bet it doesn't have any POP!s.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 05:14:23 PM »
My favorite concerts are never "chaotic."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 07:25:11 PM »
I've never been to a chaotic concert either.
And I go to rock shows.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:36:32 PM »
The first rock concert I went to was Third Eye Blind / Vertical Horizon / Nine Days in 2000.  I wasn't as worried about my hearing as much as I was my heart since the bass was strong enough to vibrate my rib cage.  The organizers had put chairs in the middle of the convention center, making it harder to have a proper concert with body surfing, etc., and 3EB made their disappointment with that known.

The second concert was the Nintendo Fusion Tour last year thanks to Nintendo.  The bands there were Hawthorne Heights, Relient K, Emery, Plain White T's, and The Sleeping.  Of course, I was more interested in playing the Wii than watching/listening to the bands (I hadn't even heard of most of them).

I've been to two video game music concerts: More Friends, which Lizard Dude already mentioned, and Video Games Live last month.  Both concerts had a great mix of orchestral, choir, rock, and piano music.  Particularly of note, the former had Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy composer) on keyboard, and the latter had Koji Kondo (Mario and Zelda composer) on piano.  VGL had a lot of interaction, and near the end, people waved their cell phones in the air as "digital lighters."  I'll be going to a third one, PLAY!, next month.

I've also been to numerous local and university symphony concerts as well as a couple by a local Christian rock band, Twenty-four Seven.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 08:17:22 PM »
Wow, I really want to go to PLAY! after having seen a "Video Games Live" versus "Play" comparison on GameVideos. In the particular video I thinking of, there was a short clip of them playing my favorite theme from Link to the Past, the Dark Overworld. The only problem with it is that I'm not really looking for a bunch of Final Fantasy music. I'm not saying Final Fantasy music is bad (that would be stupid), but again, it's not what I'd look forward to.

Unfortunately, Video Games Live is the only thing that's coming to Washington any time soon, and that's probably in 2008.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 08:31:29 PM by Suffix »

Print