Print

Author Topic: Bayonetta: This is going to be the best!  (Read 13400 times)

« on: September 23, 2008, 04:01:55 AM »
Until today, I'd really only seen info on one of the upcoming PlatinumGames games. (PlatinumGames, you'll remember, is the studio that formed from the ashes of Clover.) This was MadWorld, the black-and-white-and-red-all-over hyperviolent Wii title. For reasons I'm not totally sure about, I recently started getting EGMs mailed to me. The one I just looked at had an interview with Hideki Kamiya, creator of a few little things like Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe and Okami. His new baby is called Bayonetta, and it's for the good system, Xbox 360 (and PS3).

Now I will quote things from the article so you can share in my excitement:

Bayonetta wields four guns in total: two guns in her hands and another two on her feet.

The names of Bayonetta's guns are Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.

With Okami, I tried to create an adventure game that a lot of people could enjoy. But for this one, I'm really concentrating on the action. And we're a team that's really good at action games, so we wanna create an extreme action game. So when we call a climax scene a "climax scene", it's not just a climax scene–it's like the extreme climax scene. It's not just something that you can sit back and press the button and get through. You have to be really into the game and sweating and drying your contact lenses while you're playing. That kind of serious gameplay.

When she does the two-step jumps, she's using the power that only women have, the beautiful power, the beauty in women. Beauty power.

Bayonetta's outfit isn't actually leather despite the stitching you see in the CG art–it's magical hair that covers her entire body, and it's used in her attacks. So in-game, she'll become more and more unclothed as she uses these hair attacks. The most powerful ones render her almost completely nude.

But out of all those action titles, there's one game that I am paying really close attention to that I think is a rival series–a good game–which is called God of War. I guess they're working on a sequel? I want to make a game that exceeds God of War's sequel. That's one title that I'm paying attention to.

The whole theme of her attacks is "sexiness". When I was working on Dante's theme, it was "coolness", and Joe's theme was "beauty". When you punch somebody, you could just do a straightforward punch. But to make it cool, you have to add this one little move that makes it cool, and it's the same with Bayonetta. So what do I want Bayonetta to do was the question. What I want her to do is to use that little space to make herself look sexy.

This is going to be the best game ever.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:54:35 AM »
I can't decide if this is fake or too ridiculous to not be fake.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:13:45 AM »
While I agree it is too awesome for our world, the laws of physics have somehow still allowed it to exist.

Check out the movie on the website!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:03:05 AM »
While I agree it is too awesome for our world, the laws of physics have somehow still allowed it to exist.

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:12 AM »
Obviously it was too much awesome for IE to handle.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 06:41:58 AM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »
Actually, it came up okay when I tried again...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:41 AM »
Well, I'm definitely down with a game featuring a sexy, technically naked witch with guns on her feet fighting angels. That, and it's made by "PlatinumGames" (Clover!). However, I've naught but a Wii, and I doubt I'd get away with playing it if I had anything else.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »
Her guns have cool names.
That was a joke.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:20 AM »
It looks like a really cool game.  I'll probably buy it.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
CrossEyed7 is 86 years old?

But yeah, I'm not too sure about this. Unless there's some extra-sweet gimick to this game, I don't just want to play DMC with a female Dante. Over-the-top-ness alone doesn't do it for me.
every

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 01:52:20 AM »
Reminds me of Bloodrayne somehow. Or the movie Grindhouse, with that lady who had a gun for a leg. And I thought P.N.03 was about being stylish while blasting things to smithereens. Er, well, Viewtiful Joe was also about being stylish.

Idea sounds cool, yes, but I just have my doubts that it's going to be any good because the concept's so high up in the air. Extreme action scenes? Feet guns? Attacks that gradually make the woman more nude? Press a button for extra sexiness? Sounds gimmicky to me.

And I hear "this is gonna be the best game ever" bandied around a lot in response to games with ridiculous concepts, or starpower (imagine a game with Chuck Norris and Samuel L. Jackson in it), or games that look so bad as to be good. I'm pretty sure the label was applied to that DS/PSP game "Napoleon Dynamite: The Game" too.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »
The DS version was way better than the PSP version, I heard.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 05:33:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's going to be good, maybe even kewl, but it was obviously carefully designed in a P.R. lab somewhere to raise eyebrows and be spread through word of mouth. This is obvious because the only "features" revealed so far are LOLZ SHE HAS GUNS ON HR FEETS and OMG SHE HAZ NEKID BOOBYS. Like Snakes on a Plane, they're trying to make a cult classic by having a goofy concept and playing it totally straight, which will probably backfire on them once everyone on the internets realizes they've been manipulated into buying a DMC reskin.

I'm still buying it, though.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 06:30:01 PM »
LOLZ SHE HAS GUNS ON HR FEETS and OMG SHE HAZ NEKID BOOBYS.

LOLZ RLY???

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 07:17:53 PM »
Why are you people so nervous about this being maybe not good? This guy's last two games were Viewtiful Joe and Okami.

And P.R. lab? You think this guy can't be crazy on his own? His last two games were Viewtiful Joe and Okami!

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »
A chick with guns. Sounds pretty original to me.
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 09:57:52 PM »
A witch chick with shoe guns. Sounds pretty awesome to me.
Ah, that's better.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 02:38:13 PM »
Why are you people so nervous about this being maybe not good? This guy's last two games were Viewtiful Joe and Okami.

I'm not afraid it's not going to be good, 'cause it will. I'm afraid that kitsch value is being made a higher priority than gameplay depth.

And, unfortunately, I'm obligated to say:

LOLZ RLY???

Are you trying to be funny?
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 03:22:34 PM »
Just for the record... how many times has he been asked that question?

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 03:29:37 PM »
Twice (so far).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »
That phrase gets used so much it might as well be our motto.
every

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 07:04:46 PM »
Bayonetta just became the 12th game to get a perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu magazine. Half of the twelve have been in the last two years so them 40's aren't what they used to be, but still: hot dang!

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
Mind you, only the 360 version received a 40/40. Its PS3 counterpart got a 38, reportedly due mainly to framerate issues.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 03:08:07 AM »
Three more days, gentlemen.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
Are you trying to be funny?
every

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
Isn't this coming from Platinum Games?

Guaranteed retail bomb in that case.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
I actually saw a commercial for it. I was surprised.
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
This definitely lived up to my predictions from two years ago. Never bet against Hideki Kamiya, because everything he touches is solid gold. Actually, make that platinum. ;)

There's no question that this is one of the finest beat-'em-ups ever made, rivaled only by God of War and Viewtiful Joe. I hesitate to declare a "best" because they all have their advantages. Bayonetta has the best fighting system, cutscene panache, and BY FAR the best boss fights. God of War has much better level design and BY FAR a tighter, more effective story.

One touch I really enjoyed in Bayonetta was the references to all the previous Clover/Platinum games, some incredibly subtle. Stranger than that, it uses remixed music from many old Sega arcade games! (OutRun, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, After Burner) The music is great overall, too, especially the grand religious tracks with organs, pianos, and choirs.

Kamiya's games always have superb grand finales and ending sequences. I won't write it here, even under spoiler tag, but describing the ending of Bayonetta allows you to write possibly the most absurd sentence ever conceived in the English language.

And the extra happy end to this whole story is that Wiggles was wrong.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »
...but describing the ending of Bayonetta allows you to write possibly the most absurd sentence ever conceived in the English language.
More absurd than "Uwe Boll made a good movie?"

Actually, the most absurd thing I've seen that is true is when footage of Duke Nukem Forever was released after 3D Realms shut down, and the footage looked GOOD. The only thing worse than putzing around for a decade is finally deciding to put in some effort (or rather, showing off something impressive) when it's already too late.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:49:40 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
I'm guessing more absurd even than "Daikatana, Kingdom Hearts II, and Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures are pinnacles of video gaming."

I hear a patch came out for the PS3 version of Bayonetta - well, in Japan, anyway - allowing the game to be installed to the system's hard drive.

I also hear Sony developed it, because Sega didn't want to.

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 01:21:43 PM »
allowing the game to be installed to the system's hard drive.
Kinda like... ANY 360 game. :)

Yeah that patch hit the US too and you can use it to decrease load times, but the PS3 version is still definitely inferior. Platinum developed the game on 360, that's the real game, Sega (not Platinum) ported it to PS3 and being a port it doesn't perform as well on the different hardware. I have a friend who got it for PS3 even though he has both systems and I call him a retard every day for it.

I actually enjoy the load sceen, BTW. It shows a movelist and displays your inputs. Very good for practicing new weapon combos.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
It looked pretty perfect on PS3 and I can't imagine that the 360 version actually looks better or something. Maybe it loads faster though.
That was a joke.

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 01:44:25 PM »
Like most games, the 360 version both looks and performs better. Read the internet or magazines.

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 05:44:39 PM »
I'm guessing more absurd even than "Daikatana, Superman 64, and Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures are pinnacles of video gaming."
Fixed that for you. There were some people who liked Kingdom Hearts II, and according to MetaCritic, quite a few. I'm not one of them because I never played it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:46:27 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
There were people who liked Superman 64, too.

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
There were people who liked Superman 64, too.
Links please, because I haven't heard of one positive review.
You didn't say wot wot.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 08:07:25 PM »
I could only find one thing close to a "positive" review, but with games like Superman 64, you want to keep something in mind:

"No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it."

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »
I could only find one thing close to a "positive" review, but with games like Superman 64, you want to keep something in mind:

"No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it."
That's true. I recall saying it a couple of times too. I was just pointing out that, in general, it seems a lot of people didn't like that game. But surprisingly ProtonJon has no problem with it. I wish he did review it, because of how unusual it is (apparently) to see someone easily get through the opening hoops level.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 01:42:43 AM »
And the extra happy end to this whole story is that Wiggles was wrong.

Well I'll be.

Good for Platinum Games in that case. They deserve some success after most of their past games were commercial failures.

Read the internet or magazines

Come on, i thought you were better than that.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »
Eight months after starting it, and over two years after its initial US release, I have completed Bayonetta. And what a game it was.

I do have to wonder why they put in two easy modes, though, since it felt like one would have been more than enough. I played through on Normal the entire time, and while I died a couple of times in the story, it never felt like the difficulty was too high; just having the ability to slow time by hitting a button should be enough difficulty mitigation for 95% of the game.

Print