Poll

How do you mark pages when you read a book?

Dog-ear
4 (17.4%)
Bookmark
5 (21.7%)
Mark page with a random object
7 (30.4%)
Remember the Page Number
5 (21.7%)
Other
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: What is your preferred method of marking pages within a book  (Read 5713 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:47 PM »
When you read a book, I'm sure none of you read it cover to cover without stopping, so what method do you use to mark your pages. Personally I just find a random object to use as a bookmark, like money or a receipt. I've always been against dog earing pages, although I don't give my books extreme care or anything.

Also, first person to make an internet browser joke will be hunted down.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:22:52 PM by SolidShroom »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 05:44:30 PM »
I usually use a bookmark.

By the way, when I saw this poll, my first thought was that it was made by megamush.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
I shudder at the thought of bending page corners to mark a place in a book; or for any reason really.

I'm a random object man: blank CDs, food wrappers, pencils, smaller books. I'm a MacGyver of bookmarking.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 05:53:20 PM »
I remember the page number (or page contents), though if I have one handy (usually one with a picture of Morpheus), I'll use a bookmark.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:09:27 PM »
I'm a bookmarker, but I don't usually have a bookmark. I do have one here with Harry meeting Sirius Black in the Shrieking Shack, and one somewhere in my closet made to look like a ten thousand-dollar bill. But oftentimes I have to fold/rip a paper to make a rectangle, I'll draw something on it, book is marked.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:30:33 PM »
I use one of my many Garfield bookmarks. And Mario.

I do fold pages down in my drawing notebooks, however. It bends the paper and creates less space to draw with, which hinders my already sad ability to try and fill the entire sheet of paper up with a drawing. But that's a rant for another topic.. [/topic derailment]
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 06:33:20 PM »
I am a dog-ear kinda guy. I know I will ruin my pages like that, but I usually read in huge sittings, so I am not constantly dog-earing the pages. It's a nasty habit. Sometimes, when doing homework, I use my highlighter to mark the page and close the book when I'm in need of more desk space.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
As a proud member of the Dudes Against Defacing Literature, I am a random-object man. I hate tampering with a book's pages in any way. I'll more often use a tube of toothpaste to hold my book open as I brush my teeth, or my bowl of cereal or napkin container as I enjoy a delicious breakfast meal. For this reason, I prefer those huge hardcovers a la Redwall, Harry Potter, The Dark Tower series, etc.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
I used a bookmark once but it was some fancy one and it slightly damaged a page of the book I was reading. Since then, I've never used anything to mark my books, and just remembered where I was.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
Put me down for random object guy. I've used money, candy, a neckband, a drawing of the LOL WUT pear, and Pokemon cards.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
I remember the page number.

If it's a chapter book, I usually stop between chapters.

Back when I read Flowers for Algernon, which had "Progris riport"s instead of chapters, I stopped in between those as well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »
Hmm, quirky thread...

I can't remember the last time I've dog-eared. Too many flaws there, if you ask me. Usually, I just grab whatever's at hand.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 09:12:26 PM »
I like to use papers that are lying around as bookmarks. Usually, they're the tips of old calculus assignments. Why the tips? Those don't have graphite on them, so I don't mess up the book's innards.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »

By the way, when I saw this poll, my first thought was that it was made by megamush.

excuse me matey, what be ye point
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 10:30:14 PM »
I dog-ear pages, but not to keep track of pages.  Generally I do it for my Lit class, if it's a good example of theme or something of that like.  As for general reading, I'll just remember the pages, or throw a random piece of paper into it.  I remember that I used to, with hard cover books, put an end of the dust jacket in, which worked well enough.  I don't read hard cover books that often anymore though, so...
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Print