Print

Author Topic: The Fungi Forums Plays Terraria - (Win the game here!)  (Read 13176 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
I have one more copy of the game to give away.  Restriction is that you have to currently be or have been a mod on this forum, TMK staff, or have contributed something that is now posted on TMK or at least acknowledged by TMK staff.  Simply respond to this thread or PM me that you interested.  First response wins. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »

I killed two Devourers with a single bomb. Felt good man.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

First I find two demon altars near the initial spawn for this world, and now this. Thanks, game.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »

From 1.0.5. I can't wait to pretend to play VVVVVV in Terraria!

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
Quick question. Would this or Minecraft be a better buy? I've got more friends who play Minecraft, and I like it for the fact that at any given time you can get the server creator to op you and wreak havoc, but this looks a bit more like the action-y goodness I'm more adjusted to. I'm a bit iffy about the Mana bar on the right hand side. Can anyone give any clarification?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
From what I've played so far, Terraria is actually quite comparable to Minecraft.  Both have a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning, similar mechanics, and - so far - about the same amount of depth to the combat.  Of course, even if I were far enough into Terraria to give you more than just my first impressions, it is, by all accounts, mostly a matter of personal preference.

Mind you, Minecraft has a pretty big modding community for everything from graphics mods to adding whole new blocks, so chances are if you don't find what you're looking for in either of them, Minecraft might be more likely to remedy that.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Ultima Shadow, the mana gauge is used for a few mid- to late-game items, including cool stuff like the SPACE GUN. You don't have one to start and don't really need to worry about it for a while, since the earliest you can get mana-using items is from destroying Shadow Orbs (which can be reached early using dynamite, but normally requires the fifth-tier pickaxe).

The learning curve isn't particularly steep, especially since the only punishment for death is that you drop half of the money you're carrying at the time, but you might still want to keep the game's wiki handy for things like drop rates and biome information.

Also, Minecraft costs twice as much. Just a thought.

Also also, grappling hook.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
I have one more copy of the game to give away.  Restriction is that you have to currently be or have been a mod on this forum, TMK staff, or have contributed something that is now posted on TMK or at least acknowledged by TMK staff.  Simply respond to this thread or PM me that you interested.  First response wins. 

I'll take it!.. if noone else has.

I've never been a mod or on staff, but I have contributed something. See the SMB3 bugs page. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
Toad, can post your Steam info on http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=13602.0;all and/or PM me. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
Done and done. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Toad, your gift should be in your account now.  If it doesn't popup try restarting Steam.  Have fun.

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »
I got it. Thank you very much!

I played for a bit last night, and would have then posted impressions, but it was late and I had to get up early today.

Anyway, it seems to me like this kind of game would work better on a console, with a controller. I was always hit by Slimes when fighting them because they would jump over me and I would often be facing the wrong direction after that.

It seems like it's a lot of fun, though, and I can't wait to play some more later today. I'll have to search for a pc game controller though. I have one, just need to find it..

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
Trust me, no, Terraria pretty much requires direct input (mouse or touchscreen). Too much stuff to do that needs that cursor. A gamepad would be dreadfully slow for anything except, like, killing stuff with a sword.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
I'm more of a controller guy myself, but I suggest you stick with the keyboard/mouse controls.  I had a hard time with them at first too, but got used to it and now can't see how you'd play with a controller.  It's also now an options to set the ESC menu to pause the game.  I think that would have helped me in the beginning.  Also note that the pickaxe and sword can be swung no matter where your mouse pointer is.   You can take advantage of the for switching weapons or place them in easy to reach number buttons.  For the slimes, you'll get used to their movements, make better weapons and armor, and soon they won't even be a concern. 

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Yeah, the addition of a pause button was a Godsend. I actually only played the game once before 1.0.4 came out and added that, and the inability to pause was a big part of why I didn't play it more before then.

1.0.5 is going to have a lot more accessibility and gameplay tweaks, including showing the name of the item you currently have selected over the item bar, showing the names of items on-screen when you pick them up, and hotkeys for potions. Can't wait for that to come out.

(Speaking of keys, for anyone who's interested, F10 turns on the framerate display, and F11 turns off the HUD.)

Print