Print

Author Topic: Most-Hated Boss Fight  (Read 7034 times)

« on: December 29, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
So I'm really committing to finally playing The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past all the way through. Kind of an early New Year's resolution. I think the furthest I've ever gotten is beating the first three temples and getting the Master Sword a few years ago. For whatever reason the Zelda series wasn't my cup of tea prior to the N64 games, so I never spent much time with LttP.

But the point is I'm playing LttP now, and it's awesome... up until the ****ing stupid boss fight in the third temple. Moldorm. A big googly-eyed retardopillar. Remember him? **** this stupid thing right in its stupid, cross-eyed face. I'm borrowing the game from my girlfriend who loves LttP and has since it originally came out. Turns out she hates Moldorm too, it's her least favorite boss in the game. But man... I really hate this thing.

Seriously, I'm hard pressed to think of a boss fight I hate more than this. It's not that this is the toughest boss I've ever dealt with. Because a difficult boss is challenging and feels like an accomplishment when you defeat it. No, this one is just aggravating and so ****ing stupid-looking. Having to restart it every couple minutes because he knocks me off the platform I'm sure is where the majority of my frustration comes from. Without that irritating mechanic, this boss fight would be way too easy, so I get why it is the way it is. But I still ****ing hate it.

Maybe it's just late and I'm tired. Maybe the next time I go to play this I'll kick Moldorm's stupid, lazy-eyed face in on my first try and laugh about how frustrating he was for me. Or maybe he's my most -hated boss fight. Not just in Link to the Past, not just in the Zelda series, but in video games. Period.

Even Dracula in Castlevania 1, who is a son of a ***** mother-****er bull[dukar] is less infuriating than Moldorm. He's the FINAL boss of what is widely regarded as a difficult game, and he's ****ing DRACULA.

The only two other bosses that came to mind that seem to be in the same class as Moldorm are both from Metroid Prime II, the Boost Guardian and Emperor Ing. Emporer Ing I think falls more into the Dracula category. He's the the final boss (more or less), so of course he should be difficult. He's also weird and huge and impressive. And unlike Dracula, I was able to conquer him, which was pretty satisfying.

Boost Guardian though... I think he's more in league with Moldorm. Just kind of a herp-a-derp assface in the early/middle part of the game who's too [darn] hard for no reason. They actually toned done the difficulty of the fight when they ported MPII to Europe and for the Metroid Prime Trilogy. You know something is up when even the developer is like "Yeah this was ridiculous."

But yeah, most hated boss fights. What are yours?
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 10:57:10 AM »
Metal Gear RAY on European Extreme in MGS2 while trying to earn the Big Boss title. You have to fight like...20 of them and just one hit basically ruins your chances of victory (you're not allowed to use rations while going for Big Boss). Not to mention you have three of them attacking you at once at all times AND the attacks vary. Back  when I was trying to complete Metal Gear Solid 2 in as little time as possible, this was the bane of my existence and I dreaded doing it every time I began a new game.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 11:53:38 AM »
A few that have earned my ire over the years:

-Yakuza (Metroid: Fusion) - Even if it weren't in the middle of that part of the game where you traverse a rather large portion of the game with any saves or recharges, Yakuza is still incredibly annoying in his own right.  If you manage to make it through his first phase relatively unscathed, the second one can be nigh-impossible to land a hit on and can whittle your energy down through a battle of attrition.
-The SA-X (Metroid: Fusion) - Both collision damage with it and its Ice Beam do far too much damage.  If Samus could take as many hits from the SA-X as it can take from her, it might be balanced, but it's also a damage sponge.
-Dracula and Death (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - I must have attempted this battle literally hundreds of times.  I wish I were exaggerating.  Hard mode is nasty.
-Mogenar (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption) - "Haha, good luck hitting these orbs in both front and back with Lock-On Free Aim forcefully enabled, I'm constantly moving and you're unlikely to land even half of your shots.  Oh, what's this?  You've managed to destroy a couple of them?  That's fine, I can just pull out more from nowhere and replace the ones you've destroyed."
-Mother Brain (Metroid: Zero Mission) - Everything from everywhere is coming at you all the time in this fight.  It's infuriatingly difficult to get into a position where you can actually land a hit, provided her eye is open at the time.
-Lazarevic (Uncharted 2: Among Thieves) - Just... ugh.  He has a shotgun and super strength.  He has an endless supply of grenades of which he'll throw up to three at a time.  He takes who knows how many hits before finally going down.  Just... ugh.  Not the best boss fight you've come up with, Naughty Dog.
-Albus (Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia) - The only reason I went on to beat the game was because I got very lucky with Albus' attack patterns - he gave me all the easy-to-dodge ones.  To this day I doubt I could beat him more than 5% of the time.

You'll note most of my selections are from Metroidvanias.  That's because both series that are the genre's namesake have bosses that make other series' bosses look like pansies.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:36:55 PM »
-Bouldergeist (SMG): While easy to beat under normal circumstances, the Daredevil Comet makes him into one of the worst Mario bosses to date.
-Golbez (Final Fantasy IV): Your success depends entirely on the attacks he chooses to use. Better yet, losing means having to fight the boss immediately prior to Golbez again.
-Ganondorf (LoZ:TP): Fighting him on horseback was bull[dukar].

I'll think of more later.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:44:35 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:09 PM »
Pretty much any JRPG boss is potentially a candidate for this topic, and for all the wrong reasons.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:09:21 PM »
Because you're bad at using items?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
Luigi's Mansion: Boolossus. If there's a trick to make catching his last 3 or so Boos a little less impossible, I don't know it.

Mega Man 5: Wave Man stands out in my memory as being particularly dickish.

WarioWare: Touched!: Global Warning, Ashley's boss game. Her game set is already a little more challenging than the others, but then her boss game, your only shot at recovering from misses, is a nerve-wracking testimony to how evil video games can be if they want.

Punch-Out!!: Bald Bull. It doesn't help that the only boxers after him (Super Macho Man and Mr. Sandman) weren't made much harder in Title Defense. Bald Bull, on the other hand, was made into an evil god of Turkish fury.

Dead Rising: Cletus, the redneck in the gun store. I don't know if I ever have been able to kill him without the Real Mega Buster, and if I have, it was probably a big deal involving lots and lots of wine, books that boost health recovery, and a few shotguns. At some point in the game (maybe it's after you get all the achievements) you start feeling like you're invincible in this game and that nothing can kill you even if you're unarmed. And Cletus will always be there to prove you wrong.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:48:26 PM »
Because you're bad at using items?
Because my being good or bad doesn't come into play at all.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:30:11 PM »
In recent memory, the suckiest boss fight ever is Hard Corps: Uprising.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »
Oh man, that game's final boss is an ASS.

Also, pretty much any SNK final boss fits in this thread.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 06:03:09 AM »
-Ganondorf (LoZ:TP): Fighting him on horseback was bull[dukar].

I disagree. That was the most fun I've had with a Zelda final boss in a long time.

Major Burrows in SMG, whether the regular version or the Daredevil Run version, is one of the most frustrating. I actually had less trouble with Bouldergeist than with the Major..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »
I disagree. That was the most fun I've had with a Zelda final boss in a long time.

Yeah, I loved the final stages of that fight.  It felt very personal but still grand and cinematic.  One of the best parts of the game in my book.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
I'd be GLaD to say one of mine, but I'll probably get trolled again, so I won't.
Others:
•That one guy from IV-3 in Lego Star Wars II (infinite stormtroopers+movement through warp doors=annoying)
•Final Zone from Sonic 1

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »

Print