Print

Author Topic: New Wii U controller revealed!  (Read 13315 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 03:18:48 PM »
I hope it's USB to speed up some PC hacks.  (Assuming it connects more than just power.)
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
How the hell are racing games gonna work (that aren't Mario Kart) where it'd be impossible to play if there's only 0% throttle and 100% throttle (if the triggers aren't analog)? (Think Forza or Gran Turismo)
Formerly quite reasonable.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »
F-ZERO works fine without it. But it needs analog triggers for drifting.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
F-ZERO works fine without it. But it needs analog triggers for drifting.

Right, but I'm specifically talking about the crap-tons of games that aren't just "A is go, not A is not go", aka Forza, Gran Turismo, Need For Speed, DiRT, ATV vs MX, etc.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 09:53:08 PM »
(looks at screenless controlers.)

Wow.  This is going to be the first time in a while that a Nintendo system won't be made fun of because of their controllers.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
Oh, don't worry. People will find reasons. "What are the face buttons doing all the way down there?" comes to mind.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
What, about the 360 controller clone?

Yeah, I imagine that might be awkward, especially considering the Gamecube controller wasn't set up that way. Though, if they did do it just like the Xbox controller, I imagine Nintendo would somehow be infringing on MS' controller design (even though all Xbox controllers were essentially fatter, more organized GCN controllers).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
I don't know why people are giving it [dukar] about being "unoriginal". What, would you rather it was uncomfortable and/or ugly, but "unique?" None of these had better be the same people who defend Nintendo games when "rehash" arguments arise.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:16 PM »
I don't see what else they could have done with the Pro controller. After seeing so many developers screw up the Gamecube controller by making you press B+X or whatever, they knew they needed a controller that would allow for effortless porting (other than analog triggers), but they also needed a strong unique brand identity that even most moms would be able to tell the difference from the other two controllers. Putting both sticks on top was pretty much the only way to do both. As for the shape, it's to be expected. There are only two other first-party primary controllers out there right now -- one was specifically designed to fit in a hand, and the other is pretty much just a SNES controller with handles added. If another company makes a controller that's also specifically designed to fit in a hand, they're both based on human hands, so yeah, there's a good chance they'll be shaped similar.

I mean, what, were people expecting that star controller? (I am actually intrigued by that top-right controller. And the one on the left... does that have a taped-on piece of notebook paper for an A button?)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Looks more like a taped on "4" as in controller number four to me. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
What's the deal with the bottom-right one? And the top left one looks strangely similar to one of the CDi controllers.

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
Bottom-right looks like a Virtual Console Gamecube controller.
Top-right looks like Sony's version of the Bop It.
Left looks like a Chinese knockoff Wiimote.
Middle looks like a kick-ass Club Nintendo prize.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 05:58:17 PM »
Middle looks like a Frisbii

Guess they gave up on that when PS3's Boomerang Controller was revealed. Would've been hard to compete with!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
i like the E3 2011 design, the other looks like it would be harder to reach the control sticks.
people who hack sports games, obviously didn't make the team!

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
[img]
So were these ever revealed as official? Looking at these again they seem like a repeat of when the Wii was first revealed and we saw all sorts of fake images.

Print