No, Rare's games are better
13 (44.8%)
No, but Nintendo's games are still better
6 (20.7%)
Other opinion
7 (24.1%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Print

Author Topic: Did Rareware Ltd. Ruin the DK series?  (Read 10187 times)

« on: May 26, 2006, 06:40:16 PM »
I know alot of people (such as myself) absoultley adore what Rare has done with Donkey Kong, while others much rather like how Nintendo has handled the Donkey Kong license. I'm curious as to know, how many people here think Rareware actually ruined the Donkey Kong series.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:48:07 PM »
How about "No, both companies did a good job" ?

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 08:04:59 PM »
Ruined is a bit harsh, but I do hate how Donkey Kong Country themes and characters have become the default version of DK. Rare's Donkey Kong games had very little to do with Donkey Kong at all (the title character didn't even really feature in Country/Land 2 and 3 for crying out loud) and essentially trying to cut Donkey Kong Jr. out of the series was a bad move.

On their own merits, Rare's DK games weren't even that good. Their success was almost solely due to the rendered graphics, which were technically impressive at the time, but haven't aged very well at all. Personally I've always found them to be bland, cluttered and artificial looking. The character designs were equally as generic and uninspired, the only one I particularly like is Dixie Kong. There was some great music though, the wonderful and understated kind you don't come across often in platform games.

For me Game Boy Donkey Kong (1994) is the definitive Donkey Kong game, and Mario vs Donkey Kong is a worthy successor (though not without its faults). March of the Minis has already won me over for the return of Pauline (hopefully Junior will make it in too). The Game & Watch Gallery games were also fantastic and did a wonderful job of making Donkey Kong and DK Junior seem natural parts of Mario's world.

I can tolerate the Donkey Kong Country style games existing as their own series, I just wish that the Mario spinoff games would use more classic DK elements (ala GBDK, G&WG and MvsDK) than Country DK elements.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:21:24 PM »
Donkey Kong is a stupid character with a stupid name.  Both Nintendo's and Rare's Donkey Kong games are good as games, but Donkey Kong is a stupid character and always has been.

Since I have no love for the Donkey Kong character, I don't mind that there is no consistency between Nintendo's and Rare's Donkey Kong games.  They are completely independent in my mind, and they're all fun.  Rare's games are more fun.  Donkey Kong Country 2 and Donkey Kong Country 3 are both masterpieces, and Donkey Kong 64 is pretty good too.  Crazy Penguin is spot on about the music (Monkey Rap excluded).  I am particularly fond of Crocodile Cacophony (vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/dkc2krl.mid), the music that plays during the last boss battle (or maybe second-to-last boss battle if you count the secret world) in Donkey Kong Country 2.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
...I'd say Nintendo and Rare did great with Donkey Kong games. No one ruined the series for either company.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 10:11:57 AM »
I liked Rare's games(although DKC1 was a bit drab and DK64 was unreasonably time-consuming), but they sure ruined the character's identity. That's my biggest gripe.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 12:59:10 PM »
Both companies produced great DK games, but I prefer Rare's handling of the series. The DK Country trilogy is beyond awesome. Beautiful backgrounds, a great soundtrack, some of the best level designs, not to mention the rising difficulty and the few hidden secrets. I'm holding out hope that if Diddy Kong Racing DS is successful, Nintendo allows Rare to develop Donkey Kong Country 4.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 01:00:36 PM »
...I'd say Nintendo and Rare did great with Donkey Kong games. No one ruined the series for either company.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »
The only thing Rare ruined was DK's placement in the time-space continuum (as was previously stated) and his family tree.  I'm sorry, but Lanky, Tiny, Chunky and Kiddy Kong suck.  (Though granted, Kiddy doesn't suck quite as much as the DK64 has-beens)
Haters gonna hate

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 08:48:07 AM »
Okay. Being a fan of the DKC series, let me warn you, what I'm about to say may be considered highly opinionated:

No, infact, I think they did better than Nintendo does. Before Rare got a hold of him, he was just a "stubborn ape" and would have only starred as a villian or made a few guest appearances (not too mention, Kamek would have been in Mario Kart 64 instead of DK. I like Kamek, personally, but not as much as DK). Also, they introduced some new loavable characters, like Diddy Kong and even Lanky Kong. However, I will admit that I like Namco's Donkey Konga (as I even bought it recently, mostly for when DK Bongo Blast get's released though) and I can't really judge Donkey Kong Jungle Beat or DKa2 too much, since I have not played them enough, but I will say that I absolutely hate the toothy grin style of DK.

I know the DK character has had a toothy grin since the first games, but too me, the toothy grin just doesn't look right on Rare's design for DK. He looks like a psychotic freak who's about to beat the crap out of you.

Edit:
I'm holding out hope that if Diddy Kong Racing DS is successful, Nintendo allows Rare to develop Donkey Kong Country 4.

Eh, I don't think that could happen either way. I believe they are only able to create ports of thier older DK games. However, DK King of Swing is pretty much the official sequal to DK64, since it contains elements from the older games.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:11:46 AM by Poop Dude »
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 02:43:19 PM »
The "toothy grin DK" that everybody gripes about is the SAME version as Rare's, only smiling.  Is smiling so wrong? 

Haters gonna hate

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 06:31:15 PM »
Yeah, I know that. That is why I said "it does not look right on Rare's Donkey Kong". I mean, I don't have a problem with him smiling, but couldn't he smile like this at least?

Or if with an open mouth, without the teeth?
Professional Paisano here

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 07:45:17 PM »
He's a stupid character either way.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 08:47:56 AM »
How is he a stupid character? I've seen characters that are far more likely to be considered 'stupid' than DK.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 11:42:40 AM »
Basically, it's his name I don't like.  I like all the other Kongs and I like the Kremlings.  But Donkey Kong???  His name is obviously meant to be a parody of King Kong, which itself makes the character unoriginal but isn't so terrible.  But to prefix Kong with Donkey???  It makes no sense.  It would be like me making a spy character who parodies James Bond, and naming him Carrot Bond, even though he has nothing to do with carrots.  I've heard the stories of the origin of Donkey Kong's name but none of them adequately justify the name in my mind.  I think his name should be changed.  There is precedent for this.  In the USA at least, King Koopa's name was changed to Bowser, Princess Toadstool's name was changed to Peach, and Dr. Robotnik's name was changed to Eggman.  All of these changes caused temporary confusion but in the end they were improvements.  It's time Donkey Kong's name was changed.

Print