Print

Author Topic: The Name Of the Game  (Read 11562 times)

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2007, 03:33:03 PM »
On the plus side, at least they didn't use a colon.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2007, 06:09:45 PM »
Really, would a parent buy a game named Doom for their young ones?

Oddly, yes. Although I've never thought it was an awesome name. In fact all the names you have cited as awesome so far have been some of my least favorites. Now I'm trying to find a game that I do in fact think has an awesome name. It's a little harder than I thought. Bandit Kings of Ancient China is a pretty awesome name.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2007, 07:16:28 PM »
Something colon-related that's really annoying is when you're writing or typing the title of a game, and you're not sure if it has a colon in it or not. But that doesn't really pertain to the topic much...

Before it came out, would any of you have played a game titled "Kingdom Hearts"? How about "Pokémon" (before the show and cards)? "Pickle Wars" (actual DOS game)? All of these games are pretty good, though they don't exactly have spectacular titles.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2007, 10:14:28 PM »
Honestly Kingdom Hearts makes me think Romance of the Three Kingdoms or some generic romance novel like "Restless Hearts" or something. If I could think right now I could pinpoint the title it makes me think of.
That was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »
Holy cow! I haven't thought about Pickle Wars in a decade. That game was totally awesome. Thanks, donotcare95!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2007, 01:50:06 PM »
I think the name "Resident Evil" is interesting in that it's two random words that, taken at face value, have little to do with the game (yeah, I know, it's an EVIL RESIDENT in a house with zombies, or whatever, but that's not relevant) but still sounds awesome. It sounds cool without sounding goofy or anything.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2007, 03:06:09 PM »
Paper Mario was a pretty embarrassing title.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 04:44:10 PM »
Paper Mario? Embarrassing? I doubt it. It describes the story telling aspect quite well, I think. It's also a nice bit of distance away from the standard "Super Mario."

Anyway, what's so embarrassing about it?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 04:47:07 PM »
Why would it emberass TC? He didn't make the game... So??
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 05:12:53 PM »
I always thought "Resident Evil" was like "The Local Evil that Lives Here." I like the name Biohazard much better because it's actually accurate.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »
When I first heard "Resident Evil," I thought of something similar-- some person who lives in the vicinity of other people that is apparently evil. I don't understand what it has to do with viruses, zombies, or otherwise.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 06:56:02 PM »
Paper Mario? Embarrassing? I doubt it. It describes the story telling aspect quite well, I think. It's also a nice bit of distance away from the standard "Super Mario."

Anyway, what's so embarrassing about it?

You'd be surprised how many people I know who actually thought the game's plot revolved around saving Peach from a paper shredder. :/

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
When I first saw it, I thought it centered around arts and crafts. o_o
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 09:19:11 AM »
Well, that's the thing. Most people hear "paper", they think, uh, paper. Most people hear "Mario" and think, "that's a kids' game", even if that's not entirely accurate. So paper + kids' game = arts and crafts, at least when you first hear it.
every

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:31 AM »
Paper Mario seems more like a sequel to Mario Paint...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print