Print

Author Topic: General Animation Topic  (Read 28726 times)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:08 AM »
I think the topic title describes everything, no?
...FINE! Favorite and least favorite cartoons, cartoon characters, and...yeah. Just everything that could be lumped with animation. Anime and stop motion discussion welcome.
First off, I'm sick of everyone pretending to be too highbrow for Family Guy. If you don't like it, fine. Just shut up about how all it is is just random, VERY lowbrow gags. Beavis and Butt-head, from what little I've seen of it, (Did-Not-Do-The-Research claims, ahoy! And they'd be valid, to boot!) is pretty crude, but everyone likes it. As for "wah wah wah snot Family Guy is a rip-off of The Simpsons," then...
Family Guy=Lowbrow, vulgar The Simpsons
The Simpsons=Modern-day Jetsons for adults
The Jetsons=Futuristic version of The Flintstones
If you don't think the jokes are funny/are in good taste, I don't mind that.
Basically, it was only hated because South Park4chan's favorite animated series ever insulted it.
Before then, everyone loved it. Of course, the show's plots are much weaker and the jokes are ruder, but the point is, this show gets too much hate.
Also, I find newer The Simpsons funny. Yes, I have bad taste, blahbbity blah.
I believe that King of the Hill wasn't as good when Bobby broke up with Connie.
So, yeah, this topic is going to be quickly turning into flaming me for liking Family Guy and new Simpsons. Still, talk about whatever non-hentai animated stuff you want to.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:40:07 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
For TV shows:

Earthworm Jim - Funniest random show ever. I can't believe I missed out on this show as a kid. Peter Puppy's quickly become my favorite character on that show. For laughs, my favorite episode was Peanut of the Apes (same episode where Peter transforms into a haggis in the third act). It's also one of those shows with a bunch of famous voice actors (remember, Earthworm Jim was voiced by the same guy who voices Homer Simpson), though what I tend to enjoy is that they don't make much of an effort to disguise their voice. Professor Monkey-For-a-Head sounds exactly like Ed Bighead.
As TV Tropes points out, this show "played with and subverted about five tropes per week".

Family Guy - Usually funny. It's true that it's basically random jokes, but I like it when they catch me off guard. Favorite joke is Peter with the anvil (it would take longer to describe than to just show it).

Futurama - Pretty good all-around. We turned to it after the Simpsons got too out there and dumb. The only trouble was the botched scheduling of the show during its original run. We watch it on Cartoon Network now, but hate all the weird commercials they show in between.

New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - I usually overlook this because this seems like one of those "for kids only" shows (although some of the Nick Jr. shows would better qualify), but it'd be a shame to forget that I adored Eeyore and Rabbit. What ended up becoming my favorite episode was one I would have hated as a kid for not having enough funny: "Find Her, Keep Her" which is a sentimental episode about Rabbit taking care of a bird named Kessie, then being unable to let go once Kessie grows up and wants to fly off on her own. The ending was so perfect that I didn't want an inevitable sequel because it could never live up to the original. And a sequel came and it couldn't live up. Special mention to Gopher and his involuntary whistling during his speech.

Robot Chicken - Liked it in the first two seasons before it relied too heavily on the low-brow jokes. What I tended to like were the sudden violence parts. A few sketches that were my favorites were Napoleon Bonamite, Numbchucks (kid tumbling down a hill while numbed from novocaine), and Super Mario Bros. meets Grand Theft Auto.

Sonic SatAM - Way WAY better than Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Everything the Nostalgia Critic said about it is true (and he gave it a glowing praise-worthy review too), including the injustice of the show being cancelled after its second-season cliffhanger (though in retrospect, they finished off Robotnik by then, so the only loose end was how they'd continue the story after they pretty much wrapped it up). Drives me nuts that Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was responsible for kicking it off the air.

South Park - I only watch the stuff from recent series, and even then I usually forget that it's on. But sometimes it's pretty good. I started watching it when Nintendojo said the next episode would feature Cartman waiting for a Wii and having to deal with sea otters in the future. I was more jazzed about seeing the sea otters than the Wii, but it was still an awesome episode. And there was also the excellent "Make Love Not Warcraft" (especially when Cartman flips out in rage after he's killed a second time). But my favorite South Park episode of all time is Season 8's "Woodland Critter Christmas". Not because of the evil animals, but because Stan fights against the narrator the whole time, not wanting to take part in what the episode wants him to do, and yet he's forced to anyway.

Super Mario World - The show kinda sucks in retrospect (I preferred SMB3 mainly for the "Mush-Rumors" episode), but hey, seeing Mario on TV was awesome back then. And I wasn't aware of Sonic SatAM at the time. The reason I remember this show so much is that I wanted to see an animated Yoshi, which was before I heard his voice. But easily the best episode was the last, "Mama Luigi". It's kind of fitting it's since turned into the foundation of YouTube Poop along with the Zelda CD-I cutscenes.

Tiny Toon Adventures - My cartoon of choice as a kid (whenever Looney Tunes or a Mario cartoon wasn't on). Favorite episode is Kon Ducki. I mainly watched the show for Fifi the skunk, one of those cartoon characters I had a crush on.

There used to be a Redwall cartoon where each season covered a different book, the first season being "Redwall", the second being "Mattimeo", and the third being "Martin the Warrior". I was a big fan of the books, and seeing a screenshot of Martin from the third season influenced me to read that book early on, which quickly became one of my favorite books in the series. So naturally I wanted to see the third season. And I did, by buying it on DVD. And it was awesome. Then I was... er... *cough*partially responsible for the whole series getting uploaded on YouTube*cough*. Which gave me the opportunity to see the other two seasons. First one sucked but featured some iconic characters of the series, and has the best-looking design for Cluny the Scourge ever. Second one was, surprisingly, better than the third. I had forgotten, Mattimeo just had a better storyline. Tim Curry as the voice of Slagar really made that fox villain shine.

I had hopes that animated films would be mentioned, but I guess not. So I'll talk about them:

Balto series - The first film was brilliant (although the real-life story is much more interesting). Lots of memorable characters in here like Balto, Jenna, Steele, and my favorite of the bunch, the overlooked Star. Kevin Bacon does the voice of Balto here, which I'm sure will open up the possibilities for Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon quite a bit more. It's also something of a cult classic film for furries (along with Disney's animal version of Robin Hood). Second film sucked with its weird "get in touch with your spirit, find out who you are" theme, but it had Aleu and some beautiful backgrounds. Third film... some think it was wonderful due to being closer to the first film, but I thought it sucked even harder for playing it safe. Stella being one of the most embarrassing characters in history didn't help. I had more fun watching some YouTuber try and fail to understand the movie in Spanish.

Ice Age series - First film, wonderful. Second film, not quite as much. Third film surprised me, it wasn't bad (although I mainly paid attention to the antics of Scrat and the female squirrel-thing Scratte). But looking back at them all, the main thing I enjoyed was Scrat. So really, give us a Scrat-solo film already!

Lion King series - First film is iconic and is still surprisingly good. I recommend getting the Special Edition DVD (or whatever the latest re-re-release of it is) for extra-sharp details. IMAX version was awesome (particularly the opening shots) and I hope that's the print they used for the Special Edition DVD, because I don't remember it looking that good. Second film... well, I thought it was great, kept getting better each time I watched it (I was suppressing the lame parts apparently). Kovu's my favorite character in the series. But the third film is even more of an accomplishment for giving Timon and Pumbaa serious character development, enough to make me finally respect them as characters rather than sidekicks. The scenes with young Simba are priceless. But what I like most of all is that nearly every Lion King song sounds awesome in any language. Try it, go to YouTube, they have every song in almost 30 different languages. I always thought Scar's German voice was the best for him.
"No King, No King, Lalala" scene in multiple languages. You get to hear the word "Idiot" in almost 30 languages!

Plague Dogs - It's very violent, depressing, and hard to sit through. I wouldn't say it's as hard to get through as the book, since the book insists on going into every gory detail (I only got a third of the way through). So it's even more of a miracle that it exists at all, and it's even more daring than Watership Down was. What I liked most about the film was the Tod and his Geordie accent, just adds a irresistable flavor to everything he says.

Ratatouille - The problem with Pixar films is that they're all so good that they cease to be super (or you're just getting sick of Pixar topping the ratings list every single time), so I can't name a favorite Pixar film (and don't you DARE bring up Finding Nemo. I've already seen that 20 times). This was the exception. Somehow, this film stood out as being my favorite of them all. Was it because it had a talking rat in it? Probably. Or maybe it was the realistic-looking food. Or maybe it's the amazing attention to detail, like when Seymour darts his eyes when reading a letter (which is how reading normally works). I can't describe it except that Ratatouille had some kind of magic the other films didn't have.

Spirit Stallion of the Cimarron - I just watched this for Rain. Most attractive mare ever (screenshot), used to be #1 on my Favorite Characters list until I found out about the Redwall series. But it turns out the film also has some stunning backgrounds (since backgrounds were one big part of what they focused on, going so far as to make the whole film Cinemascope because of it, it better be stunning). And it was a pretty enjoyable film by itself too.

Watership Down - It may be flawed, but you will never find a more faithful adaptation of the book. I heard that when Americans first saw it, they sure weren't expecting it to be as violent as it was. But I say good, because I don't think you'd ever get away with a film like this nowadays. I loved the book for many things (such as balancing several main characters), but what I liked most in the film was Kehaar.

Special mention to Opus & Bill in "A Wish For Wings That Work". I thought the movie was terrible, but at least now I know what Opus & Bill are like in animated form. Somehow Opus being voiced by the same guy who did Chaz Finster in "Rugrats" totally fits.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:17:31 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:30:14 PM »
Some of the best original animation I've seen in the past few years is a show called Superjail!. It was on Adult Swim (maybe it still has reruns?) and was very violent and for adults only. I heard it was coming to DVD, so I'm happy about that. I suggest you check it out for its over the top concepts and fluidity of animation.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
I really miss Cartoon Network's golden days.  And I'm not referring to Toonami; shows like the Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Lab were great.  They were witty and well-written, with jokes aimed at both the kids and adults (I seem to remember a few college students I knew loving PPG).  The best thing to come from Cartoon Network in recent times is Ben 10, and even that was cheapened by a time-skip/sequel that killed a lot of what I liked about its predecessor.  Oh, and I suppose Secret Saturdays is decent when it's not trying too hard to be hip or cool.  It gives me a modern-day Jonny Quest vibe (we'll get to Jonny Quest later).

As far as Nickelodeon goes: I used to really like Fairly OddParents, but in retrospect, they used the same gags over and over again and really derailed the characters as time went on.  Danny Phantom was great, even though I didn't see as much of it as I would have liked (not that it was on a whole lot).  SpongeBob SquarePants is another show that used to be better, but if you can get past the mind-numbing stupidity of the cast of characters, it's highly entertaining.

Some old Disney animated series (Aladdin, DuckTales, etc.) were nicely done as well, but you won't see those anymore; they've been done away with in favor of half-baked sitcoms involving and targeting preteen girls.  The one exception these days seems to be Phineas and Ferb, which despite coming off as "kiddy" sometimes, has some genuinely funny gags.

Yeah, all the Pixar movies have been at least good, with most of them being exceptional.  Toy Story is still my favorite Pixar movie, possibly because I have fond memories of watching it over and over when I was five.  Seriously, though, I've never met a Pixar movie I didn't like (although the hype for Finding Nemo and later Cars has rather turned me off to those two in particular); other than Toy Story, my favorite Pixar films include A Bug's Life and Up.

Sheesh, how have I not mentioned Batman: The Animated Series yet?  What can I say about the show that hasn't been said a million times by fanboys before me?  It nailed the voices perfectly; to this day, I imagine Kevin Conroy's voice for Batman and Mark Hamill's for the Joker on the rare occasion I read a Batman comic.  The storylines were excellent, and even influenced the comics that they were based on (the character Harley Quinn had her start in B:TAS, and Mr. Freeze's comic incarnation was later changed to match his animated counterpart).  Other DC Animated shows were mediocre, but B:TAS really stands out.

I like Looney Tunes... well, the older ones, anyway.  I don't really care for some of the things that have been done with the franchise in the past ten years or so (I hear Tiny Toons was good, but haven't seen enough of it to judge whether that's true).  

I believe I mentioned Jonny Quest earlier?  That show was gold.  It wasn't afraid to give villains (and heroes) real guns instead of hokey lasers, although it certainly didn't shy away from the realm of Science Fiction.  It had explosions and mutants out the wazoo (the Invisible Monster episode still kind of creeps me out).  Despite "concerned mothers" freaking out about how dark the show got (characters were frequently murdered or met otherwise grim fates; just about everyone on the show handled a gun or knife at one point or another), I think it provided a good example of how to make an awesome action-adventure series.  Too bad the original and best incarnation only lasted 26 episodes.

I may think of other animated shows/movies later.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:46:43 PM »
The Team Fortress 2 Meet the Team shorts are awesome. If you haven't watched them, just, go watch them. I'll wait.

Something that's not too awesome is Flapjack. I don't know, I just always get this weird vibe coming off it that they're trying too hard to make it like Spongebob.
every

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »
Flapjack is a hit or miss with me. Chowder is just awful.

The best cartoon of all time is Animaniacs.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
Holy crap, I'd forgotten just how badass this song from Lion King 2 was. I really like TLK2. The plot and execution do leave a bit to be desired, but the characters are perfect. It was about as good as could be expected, as the two major changes they would have had to make for it to reach its full potential were to admit that Kovu was Scar's son (it's obvious that's what they originally intended, as well as what fits best with the story, but they threw in some awkward denials when they realized that would make him and Kiara second cousins) and leave in Zira's suicide, neither of which were going to happen in a Disney movie. I also really like it because Jason Marsden is in it and because Vitani is awesome. Still want to see a third TLK based on Macbeth.

Pixar is awesome, as is most of the stuff they big Pixar players did outside of Pixar (Brave Little Toaster and Iron Giant, off the top of my head). They're basically the modern replacement for the Disney that pretty much died about ten years ago -- animated movies that don't think they're just kids movies and kids are too stupid to deserve real plots or character development or emotions, nor do they try to go in completely the opposite direction of kiddyness like Family Guy, South Park, etc. Every Pixar movie can be thoroughly and genuinely enjoyed by anyone at any age level -- and not just as a "family movie" or whatever; everyone will actually like it regardless of who's watching it with them. Kids like the talking dog and the funny bird, adults like the philosophical reflections and deep wrenching emotions (And yeah, we like the talking dog too. "A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead."). Also this.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »
Some of the best original animation I've seen in the past few years is a show called Superjail!.

This show is the [dukar]. I haven't seen too many episodes, sadly.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 04:50:33 PM »
Flapjack is a hit or miss with me. Chowder is just awful.

The best cartoon of all time is Animaniacs.
Chowder is just awful.

Chowderawful.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:11:36 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
It's quite honestly the worst show I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. You suck if you think it's funnier than Animaniacs.

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 04:58:51 PM »
Actually you suck if you think it's funnier than anything that's ever been on television.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
Chowder is probably the single best show on Cartoon Network still receiving new episodes and is definitely not horrible. I can't really bring myself to watch The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack for some reason. PaperLuigi hasn't watched many cartoons if he honestly thinks Animaniacs is the best cartoon of all time.

Since no one else has mentioned them: the recent Duck Dodgers series was excellent, as was Samurai Jack.

Most of what I've been watching and enjoying that hasn't already been mentioned by various people in this thread is anime. A few I've finished are Koharu Biyori (a fanservice anime pretty much the whole way through), Elfen Lied (copious amounts of violence, nudity, and amnesia), Kodomo no Jikan (funny story: Seven Seas, who publishes the loli manga Dance in the Vampire Bund, was originally going to publish the KnJ manga in the US under the title "Nymphet" before being overtaken by a wave of common sense), and Azumanga Daioh. I'm in the process of watching Welcome to the NHK!, Yakitate!! Japan (the unofficial favorite anime of The Mushroom Kingdom), Akagi, Saki, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Princess Tutu, He Is My Master, the Disgaea anime (though I've only watched the first episode so far, since I'd like to finish the game before I watch the anime based on the game), A Certain Scientific Railgun, Spice & Wolf, and Darker than Black.

I wish there was an anime adaptation of Yotsuba&!. Ditto for Asuka Hybrid.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
Please. I've seen many cartoons. Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob, Looney Toons, Family Guy, The Simpsons, to name a few. Animaniacs made me laugh the most, ergo it is the best.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
Since when is the sole purpose of a cartoon making you laugh?

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:32:20 PM »
Music is great, animation is crisp, voice acting is superb, writing is witty, etc.

Print