Print

Author Topic: The Croc Hunter is Dead!  (Read 9800 times)

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 07:38:03 AM »
It's not exactly his fault that he died.  He wasn't harassing or advancing dangerously on the stingray.  It just turned around, got spooked, and ...well, you know the rest.  I'd say it was more chance than it was his fault.  And so what if it is his fault?  He wasn't doing it to be cool, he was filming a documentary.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 05:06:09 PM »
Creepily, the documentary was called "Deadly Creatures of the Deep".

I actually heard from somewhere that "if the stingray had hit him anywhere else we wouldn't be talking about a fatality here..."

That's really sad.
-------------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 05:43:26 PM »
It wasn't his fault.
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 05:45:18 PM »
Of course not.  He was a great guy, and I wish that this wouldn't have happened.  And he was so young, too...
-------------

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 08:04:14 PM »
It's funny how the thing he loved most in life killed him.

...A stingray killed him.

And he was so young, too...

He was 44, but that's younger than my mom.

What's incredibly strange and ironic about this is that only seventeen deaths from stingrays had been recorded as of 1996. Steve Irwin had been dealing with far more dangerous animals for a long time, and hadn't come to any harm from them. It reminds me of how Lawrence of Arabia died - from a motorcycle accident.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 08:50:10 PM »
Dude, he loved animals. I KNOW a stingray killed him. Please don't treat me like an idiot.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 08:56:51 PM »
It's not exactly his fault that he died.  He wasn't harassing or advancing dangerously on the stingray.  It just turned around, got spooked, and ...well, you know the rest.  I'd say it was more chance than it was his fault.  And so what if it is his fault?  He wasn't doing it to be cool, he was filming a documentary.

I still believe he should'nt have been doing that in the first place.

Luigison

• Old Person™
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 09:09:06 PM »
So, did he get killed by a shock from the stingray's tail, or did the tail of the stingray actually stab him in the chest? I've heard both stories, so I'm curious to see which one it is.

This whole thing sort of reminds me about how General Patton spent many long years in the war, and just after it was over got killed by a jeep. Not really related, but hey. I have weird trains of thought.

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 10:13:40 PM »
Well, the last few minutes of the recorded documentary apparently shows Irwin pulling out the barb himself. I think he only died shortly afterward.

The barb was in his heart, which of course could've been fatal if left in OR pulled out.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 01:28:48 AM »
Well, the last few minutes of the recorded documentary apparently shows Irwin pulling out the barb himself. I think he only died shortly afterward.

The barb was in his heart, which of course could've been fatal if left in OR pulled out.
Hmmm.  Did the barb break off the stinkray?  Is that typical?  I remember my grand dad cuting the stinger off one I caught, but I was just a kid and didn't notice much about the barb itself.

Irwin family refuse offer of a state funeral:  "CROCODILE Hunter" Steve Irwin would not have wanted a state funeral because he wanted to be remembered as "an ordinary bloke," the television star's father said yesterday.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 10:05:34 AM »
Dude, he loved animals. I KNOW a stingray killed him. Please don't treat me like an idiot.
That was pretty vague still. "The thing he loved most" was animals? It sounded like you thought a crocodile killed him.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 02:26:41 PM »
This week, three people I know have died. What a profilic week forfor deaths... :(.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 04:25:36 PM »
It sounded like you thought a crocodile killed him.

It's only all over the news. If I didn't know what killed him, I would have asked.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print