Print

Author Topic: Scary Games  (Read 7279 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: October 17, 2006, 05:20:22 PM »
It's that time of year again: The air is chilly, the wind is vaguely spooky-sounding, leaves fall off the trees and somehow form into malicious-looking piles on your lawn, and assorted miscreants dressed as the guy from Scream knock on your door and demand candy.

It's a perfect time for playing scary games! At Halloweentime, nothing's better than vegetating on the couch watching AMC's MonsterFest and then getting up to vegetate at your computer or console of choice and play some appropriately scary video games.

And no, Mario Party doesn't count.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 06:50:33 PM »
Short term memory, eh Glorb?
Well, let it be said that I have not yet played a game scarier than The Scary Game.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »
Wow, that was one of Glorb's first topics. Kinda old, but it brings back memories from when I first came here.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
This might be one of the best Halloween games out there. It isn't scary, as far as I know, but it's really cool and fun to play.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 05:11:55 PM »
No one's suggested Symphony of the Night yet?
My personal recommendation is, of course, Super Castlevania IV.
That was a joke.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 05:31:19 PM »
I know this is sort of stereotypical, but playing the Resident Evil for GC with all the lights off at night can be pretty intense.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 05:35:58 PM »
Heck, I was playing the PS1 version at night with no lights on, and when the dog came through the window... well, you can imagine.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 05:46:36 PM »
Oh, I forgot about that old topic. Eh, it stunk anyhoo.
every

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 07:00:32 PM »
How is Mario Party scary?

Some games that could give a scare:

-Silent Hill
-Clocktower
-Haunting Ground
-Eternal Darkness
-Scary Flash Game.
-Fatal Frame
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:05:39 PM by Aarom11 »

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 08:43:05 PM »
According to Tom Chick, a man I trust and respect very much in the field of gaming, there are only four games that truly qualify as horror: Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, and Dead Rising. They're all built to evoke an emotional response: Namely, a sense of dread that's not possible in a game about being armed to the teeth.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 10:02:23 AM »
I get the first three, but Dead Rising? That game was meant to be humorous. At some points it was mildly creepy, but most of the time it was downright hi-larious.

You want real scares? Try the Ravenholm areas of Half-Life 2. Then prepare your bladder for imminant release, because that level is scary.
every

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »
I played Ravenholm in one night, and I finished at 2:00 AM with no one around or the lights on, and although I wasn't horrified, I was a bit creeped out, and I admit that Ravenholm was 3545645634665x times scarier than anything in Doom III. Then again, Barbie's Horse Adventures was scarier than Doom III

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »
Doom 3 was probably the least-scary "scary" game in a long time, in the same way that Leisure Suit Larry is the least-sexy "sexy" game in the world.
every

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 12:37:30 AM »
"What makes Dead Rising work so well, and how it really earns its "horror" badge, is with the save game system (which is, ironically, the same feature that has earnest reviewers fastidiously dropping points from their ratings). You can only save at certain locations, and it's entirely possible to fail not only individual missions but the story as a whole. Zombie apocalypses rarely end well. Dead Rising isn't telling a scripted story so much as offering a series of outcomes and challenging you to work your way to the best one. It's built to encourage you to try again. The same developers took a similar approach in the overlooked Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter."

-From that article

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 09:58:56 AM »
The save system in DR was probably the worst ever. I can't tell you how irritating it is to get the message "THE TRUTH HAS VANISHED INTO THE DARKNESS OMFG [wtd] LOL!!" just when things are starting to get good. Sure, you can restart the game with your beefed-up guy or simply continue playing to kill zombies, but that only works for so long. I think a password system would've worked better.
every

Print