Print

Author Topic: Question all authority  (Read 7523 times)

« on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:13 AM »
No questioning or complaining about moderators' actions.
I don't really see anything this rule does except give moderators free reign to be abusive and then cite this rule as a shield, which seems more like pure loophole as opposed to anything useful.  If a moderator isn't doing anything wrong, they really don't have anything to worry about, and if they are doing something that seems wrong, then it would be nice to be able to call them on it!

No flame wars.
[…]
No harassing or threatening moderators.
This should take care of all actual abuse toward moderators.  If someone is uncivil in their questions and complaints, then they're still in trouble, so what good does this other rule do?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:09 AM »
Yeah. I actually have no problem with most of the rules on this site, save the one you first quoted. I have serious problems with that (though they are rarely expressed because half the mods barely ever post).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
B&.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:16:29 PM »
Of course you should question all authority, but don't be so open about it.  You can question my actions all you want, but unfortunately I have to ban EM now.  /s

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:38 PM »
B&.
It took me all of ten seconds to get that.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:47:19 PM »
Authority should only be questioned if there's a reason to question it, not just for the sake of nonconformity.  Mind you, the powers that be telling us not to question their authority is a pretty good reason.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 10:49:07 PM »
There are other reasons.  I just can't bring them up under the current rule set.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:55:20 AM »
I know this is a little late, but since the topic was bumped...
Authority should only be questioned if there's a reason to question it, not just for the sake of nonconformity.  Mind you, the powers that be telling us not to question their authority is a pretty good reason.
I believe that authority should always be questioned.  I question everything, even my own authority.  Don't take this to mean that people should go around yelling at anyone in power.  Instead think about the citation and take action that will be productive, not just a protest.  Also, authority is not just a person or group, but ideas and dogmas. 

Edit:  The bump was deleted, but I'm leaving this post. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 12:03:13 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:31:50 PM »
Weegee has apparently been banned the same way I was, taken away in the night by the secret police with no warning, notification, or CT change. I assume this is done to keep the community from constantly screaming when active members get banned but has the opposite effect of making the mods seem totally evil.

When regular members get banned, can we at least get their CT changed so we know they're, ya know, never going to respond back to us (theoretically)? An explanation would be nice too, but I'm not going to set my hopes too high here.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:53:29 PM »
He's not on the ban list, not as being currently banned and not to indicate he ever was.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 11:45:34 PM »
Maybe it's a mistake involving similar IP to a spambot. I'm gunshy because my ban was covered-up even to the extent that my sig saying I was banned got changed back to my previous sig (not blank). After that I realized old members that we assumed had just left could have actually been stealth-banned. Then I saw these posts.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 09:37:11 AM »
I hope this is just a mistake, because I liked Weegee.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
The ban is still in effect. It was covered up so good that his CT is the same, and they got somebody to post under his name.
every

Print