Print

Author Topic: New Mario Movie (Not Joke)  (Read 17203 times)

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
Obviously Mario will be voiced by some hip, young A-list actor. Martinet lacks STAR POWER outside the Mario-nerd circle. The Italian acent will be dropped, both to placate Italian-American rights groups and to make his character more relatable to audiences.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 08:58:40 PM »
I'd watch a Captain Toad movie.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 07:18:01 PM »
Kinda relevant: It seems good ol' Bob Chipman has written an unsurprisingly pathetic Mario movie pitch of his own. Read and recoil in horror.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 06:15:52 AM »
Why the **** does Mario's jumping ability needs to be rationalized

Why is he unironically suggesting to make an "hardcore" Mario film

Why
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:20:41 AM by Glowsquid »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 06:48:10 AM »
I started taking what he had to say with a grain of salt after hearing about that book he wrote, and then he completely fell off my radar with his reactions to GamerGate.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
I do not wish to watch a Mario... I don't want to watch a Metroid either. I don't even really want to watch an EarthBound or a Punch-Out!! or a Zelda.

These things are games. They were designed as games. A lot of the aesthetic decisions for them were made because they would make them better... as games. Mario's mustache. Little Mac's height. Samus's morph ball.

It probably is a bit silly that Mario can jump so high, squishes chestnuts and kicks turtles. It might be a bit crazy that Samus' nemesis is a space pterodactyl, and she was raised by bird aliens who leveled up beyond the need to exist. Okay sure, going into a movie WITHOUT a pathetically boring, made-up, twenty-minute prologue explaining where Ness's PSI comes from would leave the audience asking some questions, and big chunks of the rest of the game would probably be boring in a movie even though they work in the game--Poo doesn't really add much to the story on top of having a name children will make fun of, so he could stand to be cut entirely. You know what I think is the answer to these problems? Not turning something designed to be played into something you watch.

If you're reading this and it's your life dream to make a film adaptation of a video game, stop. Do not do it. Make your film script but just be inspired by whatever it was you were uncreative enough to steal. And that gives you so much more freedom to do things besides shove your fanon into other people's faces, other people who probably have their own fanon that yours [dukar]s all over. Turn it into an original scenario, replace all the characters with your own. It's probably already distanced enough from what you were going to do an adaptation of anyway. Make an adaptation and you will inevitably alienate people who don't know the source material, while disappointing people who do. So make something else and design it to be watched, where everything in it is there to make it a better movie. Such that turning it into a video game would be a travesty.

tl;dr movies and video games are totally different, and it is not worth familiarity to convert one to the other. As if previous attempts haven't almost invariably screamed this.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 02:56:04 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2014, 11:06:44 PM »
I'm still waiting for a big-screen adaptation of Pooh's Adventures. Cross-licensing characters owned by every company from Nintendo to Hanna-Barbera will be a *****, but the end result will be totally worth it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vqu7OcPnMk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vqu7OcPnMk</a>
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
If you're reading this and it's your life dream to make a film adaptation of a video game, stop. Do not do it. Make your film script but just be inspired by whatever it was you were uncreative enough to steal. And that gives you so much more freedom to do things besides shove your fanon into other people's faces, other people who probably have their own fanon that yours [dukar]s all over. Turn it into an original scenario, replace all the characters with your own. It's probably already distanced enough from what you were going to do an adaptation of anyway. Make an adaptation and you will inevitably alienate people who don't know the source material, while disappointing people who do. So make something else and design it to be watched, where everything in it is there to make it a better movie. Such that turning it into a video game would be a travesty.

Quoting this for prosperity.

Also because it kind of applies to adaptations and fantard [dukar] in general, not just video games. I got hit with this revelation a long time ago and I continue to be amazed at fellow grown-ass creatives (sometimes people upwards of ten years older than me, as Bob Chipman up there has demonstrated!) who somehow still haven't figured it out.

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
I remember reading a great article about how the author didn't want another He-Man movie because the property is too strange and stupid to allow for a faithful adaptation. That's kinda how I feel about Mario.

Of course what BP wrote above is very true. And very well said.

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
Oh really? I don't think that it's a great idea; the Mario games don't really have much in the way of story.

I haven't seen the original Mario movie since I was a kid, but I think that it was... meh. As a Mario movie, it's awful. As a general movie, it was... okay.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 09:53:23 PM »
the Mario games don't really have much in the way of story.
Which really needs to change.
The thing I want most from the main Mario games is for them to start having an actual story. They have all these great characters, but they are all basically reduced to being lifeless pawns. Since it doesn't seem likely that the games will change any time soon, this movie could finally be a way to see all these characters interacting in an actual story. I would love that.

I would only hope that they keep Charles Martinet and co doing the voices. Anyone else voicing Mario at this point would just be wrong.
Also because the idea of putting a celebrities voice in an animated movie in order to sell more tickets is absolutely retarded. No one is going to go to an animated movie just because Random Celebrity X is doing one of the voices.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 09:55:11 PM by goodie »
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 11:10:52 PM »
Great characters? They're all amusing and endearing in their own way, but they don't exist in a medium that lends itself to the kind of storytelling you're looking for. Mario games play by their own flip-flopping fairy-tale sensibilities; a genuine mythos requires much more consistency and logic than a mascot character and company can provide.

Wow. I don't think I've had this conversation in a while. Anyway...

I'd call them iconic characters, as they were born to play out iterations of the same cartoon scenario. Any of the Mario RPGs do a good job of creating a "set" you can play out a narrative in, with some interesting and colorful characters, but our heroes are as always light-hearted caricatures. Rosalina is kind of an exception, as she has a detailed, if somewhat bizarre backstory you can read about, but according to Sapphira and my own translation-checking, that story had its most interesting implications concerning her parents removed.

Why the dumbed-down backstory? Because Mario characters aren't supposed to provide the kind of escapism that, say, any given BioWare game provides. Even in the RPGs, it wasn't so much about roleplaying as it was Mario games with RPG elements. In Mario games, you're free from the logic that constricts reality and makes it "real." Logic only ever applies to gameplay/puzzle solving.

I do feel that people desire a lot more mythos from their entertainment than they used to. You could attribute that to a lot of things-- improved graphics, the conflict between science and religion, Netflix.

Edit -- every -> ever
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:13:35 PM by Suffix »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 01:11:01 AM »
They are great characters. But the thing about them is just about everything you need to know is right there on the surface. You can look at them all in a crowd, not knowing anything about them, and get a good idea of what their roles are.

I'm sure this image isn't anything new, but I see it every day and it always makes me happy... I only wish it had been made a little later and had Rosalina on it as well.

It's not story that the characters need. It's outlets to express their personalities. Luigi's Mansion gets it, I'd say particularly in Dark Moon. You've got your support guy, E. Gadd, oozing his personality through the little exposition that the game does need. Luigi himself doesn't speak more than a few words, but shows his character in all his animations. How he moves, takes damage, idles, reacts to peeking into windows... it's perfect. Luigi doesn't have to say what he's thinking or feeling, because there it is. And you're the player, you're in the same situation as he is. It doesn't need to be cinematic, or especially detached from gameplay.

To give an example of how the games could do this more where they don't already, I'll use Super Mario 3D World. Anytime control is taken away from the player could have been dedicated to character expression. The way they fall off the screen when they die, or what facial expression and pose they'll have when about to charge into a castle level. The level clear animations are another big one where they could have expressed character, and... there are only 5 playable characters, so, there should only be 30 possible combinations of characters... 5 solos, 10 duos, 10 trios, 5 quartets. What if every combination put the characters into a unique victory pose? I'd love to see this if you cleared a level with just two players as Mario and Peach:

or see Mario and Luigi pose together in a way that plays up the "Bros." part of "Super Mario Bros."

It wouldn't have to be elaborate.

Because, again, who they are is relatively simple, and therefore pretty simple to put together.

No additional words or storylines or conflicts would be needed to get more out of the characters in 3D World. They do already have some of what I'm talking about, but it all kind of blends together and doesn't make the most of the differences between them all. It's not something the game desperately needs or is really worth complaining about, it's just that it's true, there is potential for more of what Luigi's Mansion does right with the characters' personalities that 3D World has a lot of wasted real estate for.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 09:50:09 AM »
Which really needs to change.
The thing I want most from the main Mario games is for them to start having an actual story. They have all these great characters, but they are all basically reduced to being lifeless pawns.

*looks over at Sonic*

...Are you sure that's what you want from Mario?

Rosalina is kind of an exception, as she has a detailed, if somewhat bizarre backstory you can read about, but according to Sapphira and my own translation-checking, that story had its most interesting implications concerning her parents removed.

I'm really curious to hear more about this. Were there references to her parents in the Japanese version that were localized out of the other releases, or was it removed entirely?

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »
*looks over at Sonic*

...Are you sure that's what you want from Mario?
Heck, it already happened.

Of course, Nintendo actually stopped before it got out of hand.

Print