Print

Author Topic: Quest for Destiny! : All Worlds Share the Same Sky...  (Read 6815 times)

« on: July 29, 2003, 11:07:10 AM »
All right. Well, I'm really pressed for time right this minute, so, uh...

OK, if you're interested in reading a 'Melee' based fic (Although comparing it to Melee is bad, it has much more to it than that...) then hop over here for now until I get time to post the fic on this forum...

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1221247

Anyway, just bear this in mind...

It starts off looking like a Yoshi Fan fic, but it becomes MUCH MORE. More than you'd imagine, I'm sure...

I mean, characters like Sonic the Hedgehog and even characters from Final Fantasy games and Kingdom Hearts appear as crucial roles later on...Much later, albeit, but...

Nintendo, Sega, Squaresoft, Capcom...None are safe from the tidal waves of War!

Your World, my World...What''s the difference? There is none. Our worlds are all connected by the same sky...The same Destiny...It''s beginning...A War...But when the time comes, whose side will you be on? And whose side will Fate favor?

Only time will tell...Time is of the essence...Your Quest for Destiny is underway, my friend...But will you find the path that suits you within the chaos of War...?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2003, 10:45:21 PM »
Can't wait!

Hamster Sauce!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 09:29:01 AM »
Ermmm...All righty, then. Better than nothin'.

But here's da fine print first. If peopke don't review it and actually tell me what they LIKE about it and WHY and what needs IMPORVEMENTs- ya know, that sorta thing- I won't waste my time here, OK?

I have lots of places this fic goes up, I haven't got time to post it when no one's readin'.

Well, here's a huge block of writin-. Hope you enjoy, although the prologue sucks royal tail.

Quest for Destiny!

The Epic Adventure.

Preface: Listen up. I don't own the SSBM characters, or many of the other characters in this fic. I will let you know at the end of a chapter which characters are owned by who when someone new is introduced. I just want to let you all know that this fic will mislead you- the plot, as you will see, is much more than a Yoshi on a simple quest.

I would also like to say that I greatly appreciate all and any reviews or comments. I'm trying to get better writing skills. Another note about ratings- although the rating is PG-13, some chapters aren't bad at all; while others are pretty violent, so keep a lookout. I will warn you that there will be blood and lots of violence in some chapters, and a warning to you all- there will be swearing in many cases. Much of this will be edited, but some will not.

Now, enjoy.

Part 1: The War Begins!

Prologue- The Portals of Time Open...

Destiny. Fate. What will your future possess? Will the choices you make today affect you ten, twenty years from now? When did time all begin? Did a God create everything? Was there once nothing? Nothing? How could there be nothing? (Sorry, I digress.)

What does Fate have planned for you? Will Destiny decide your entire life? You might be thinking, "NO! I run my own life!" But can you be positively sure? Perhaps Fate bases itself on your choices. You have some say in the matter. If you make a right choice, you continue the way you were, maybe better. Wrong choice, you're halted. Barred down.

Perhaps now it is difficult to grasp the mighty Fate in our hands and figure it all out. It's hard to find our answers, from deep within he turning cogs of time (Chrono Cross can have an influence on you!), but what we do know is that we exist in our world. That's it. We know nothing more. We can't even be entirely sure that this really IS a world. Perhaps it is only the fictious imagination of someone else... We only choose to believe what a book says. We have no proof. We only choose to believe what a scientist says. You can't always believe something. It doesn't matter. Anything is possible.

What if everything you see is more than what you see-the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something happens that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really IS a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things.

Sound familiar? Shigeru Miyamoto once said that, it's on the back of your Game Cube box. Really!

Which brings us to our story. It begins with a dinosaur named Yoshi and his quest to save his friends and a valuable treasure, but it soon becomes much more.......

Now, to understand the present, we'll have to investigate the past.

It all started a long while back, when two twin brothers named Mario and Luigi Mario were being delivered to their home in the Mushroom Kingdom by a stork (Don't ask, the people who made Yoshi's Island did it that way).

Anyway, while the stork was flying, a Magikoopa swooped through the air and tried to steal them. Fortunately, he only swiped Luigi, while baby Mario fell downward landing safely on a green Yoshi's back on an Island inhabited by many Yoshies. (Sounds like more than just coincidence, doesn't it?) The green Yoshi found a map with the baby and decided to tell his friends back at his home village.

Meanwhile.....On the island of the Koopa Kingdom a little ways off from this particular isle, the Kidnapper of Luigi, named Kamek, thought of what to do next. Kamek was a mean and nasty Magikoopa who longed for revenge, but back then, little was understood as to WHY...He had predicted that these two babies would befall the Koopa Kingdom one day, and cause misery to Bowser, the Koopa Prince whom he was the Guardian of after the tikes parents were killed. Bowser's parents were killed in a war long ago between two forces...

(Don't worry, you'll find out about that later.)

Bowser's parents had demanded Kamek to watch out for the baby and see to it he became a noble King like his father. Kamek had to find the other baby, and he'd try to revert the both of them to evil ways. So, he ordered his Toadie troops to find the baby and capture it.

(Toadies are weird little red guys with goggles and propellers on their heads. Don't get them confused with Toads.)

So, as the green Yoshi returned, his friends were baffled as to why a baby fell from the sky. It seemed to want to go somewhere, so they carried it across the island using a relay system. And finally, the green Yoshi had to fight the Koopa brat named Bowser, and after an exciting duel, the baby was reunited with its twin and the two were delivered to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Kamek, however, wouldn't give up so easily. He snuck to the Kingdom and destroyed it with a powerful spell. A spell called the 'Ultimate Kamekrusher'... Mr. and Mrs. Mario were killed defending their children, some say, but to this day it's a mystery quite exactly what happened to them. All that's known is a Toad named Augustus III saw Kamek coming and while the twin's parents distracted him, the Toad quickly saved the babies and brought them to your world to stay safe from Kamek's grasp. So, they grew up, slowly, surely, and merrily. But they couldn't escape the path Fate had chosen for them........

The two babies grew up and became quite good at jumping through the trees they played in. They eventually were drawn back to their homeland, just as Fate would have it. But, while they were still growing up.....

Kamek was furious! He had to construct another plan to get revenge on those Yoshies. But trying to destroy the Mushroom Kingdom had weakened him (By the way, they recovered from that quite well.) and he needed to regain his strength.

The green Yoshi that had saved the two twins in the end was honored as a hero and was appointed king. You see, the old Yoshi leader had fought in that war as well, (the one Bowser's parents were killed in) and had disappeared in duty. The new king found himself a green queen and had an egg (With a baby in it, of course!) and placed it in a nest with a few other eggs of different colors. It isn't known exactly WHY the eggs were all placed in one nest, although Yoshies are known to do this. Rumor has it that some mystical figure spoke to them in a dream, but one can't be sure. The name of this new Yoshi King was King Raptalcon.

Kamek and Baby Bowser weren't getting along too well. Kamek was so busy plotting revenge; the poor tike was practically raised by Toadies and was becoming a bit of a brat. Kamek pressed on, though. He cooked up a spell. Turn Yoshi's Island into a storybook and steal a tree called the Super Happy Tree, which gave off fruit that made the depressed overjoyed when eaten. So, he did, and the loss of the tree made all the Yoshies go into a great depression. But those eggs....they were ready to hatch. And they did. A red, a pink, that green, a blue, a purple, and a yellow.

They knew something was wrong (Yoshies have high IQ's for being just born) and decided to stop the threat. So, they traveled through the island and saved the tree. Along the way, they found a black egg and a white egg, which had been stolen from that nest. The eggs hatched shortly after. Sooooooooooo.....

The king and queen were quite proud of their son, and named him Yoshi. Why? That's like naming a dog Dog, isn't it? Well, as it turned out, he was to be the perfect example of a Yoshi and would one day help lead an army to save it all....Yoshi's Island, the Mushroom Kingdom, Hyrule, Kongo Island, Dreamland, Kanto/Johto, I mean everything...

Yoshi, along with all those other Yoshies-are now 16 years old. While they were maturing, the royal family advisor, a white fly-guy named Alex, had found a large egg. A beautiful egg. An egg with a shell of solid, seemingly unbreakable gold. It had dark golden spots all over its glimmering surface. It's said the marvel was found in a cave carved in the foot of one of Yoshi's Island's four main mountains. The four mountains that ruled over all, their cold, tall, icy peaks to watch over the island like kings.

The egg was brought to the castle of Raptalcon, the assigned monarch, and Yoshi's father. He placed it in a room to its own, a nice, neat little room at the end of a hallway for decoration. The egg's surface was quite hard, the dinos noticed. It didn't seem to do much of anything as far as magic was concerned, but Raptalcon was suspicious. It seemed quite special, indeed, to serve no purpose. The egg remained as a piece of eye candy for a long time, until the night the old mage coot Kamek paid a little visit....

Kamek had grown even more detached from his stepson, and the Koopa grew up to be a very vicious and greedy king. He had kicked Kamek down to the basements of his extensive castle, and for those years, little was known of him. He'd been the one who had created clones of Bowser's younger self (The Baby Bowsers you see in the Mario Party games, for example.) and had helped Bowser out here and there, but the two stayed separate socially. But recently, Kamek had been listening to his resources well. The Yoshies had a big, gold egg in their possession, and he wanted it. Badly. He devised a plan to breach the castle's defenses and steal the egg. Then, he could find out just what it did. And hopefully, it could give him the magical boost he needed for his future plans to start...

~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 1- Midnight Bandit

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a clear, frigid night as the Magikoopa whizzed through the twilight air. It was quite a cold night, indeed, the air almost freezing his nose as it soared past his pudgy face. The ominous moon was near full off in the sky, and it was large behind him in vast the dark blue. The sky was cloudless and serene. He hadn't been on a good flight for ages. But this night, he had a purpose. He knew that the Gold Egg had to do something, and he wanted it badly.

"Nothing like a midnight flight..." he muttered to himself, relaxed.

Over the scenic island he flew, and he cackled when he thought of what he'd do to Raptalcon and his family when he stole that egg. The pure look of fear and surprise on their faces. His mind was averted to his current situation as he leaned his broom down to land behind a shop in the main square of the village. He carefully hid his broom behind an old box among many leaned up on the building's side, stocked with fruit, weapons, armor, and medicine.

A sly, merry grin spread across him as his wand was drawn from its place beneath his sky blue cloak. He had been able to recover some magical attributes over the years he had studied while trapped in the castle's underside, and although he knew many spells, they never seemed to work, oddly enough.

Maybe he was getting too old? No. He immediately dismissed the thought. He needed a better source of magic than an ancient piece of Star Stone. The mystical powers of this rock could be immense, but this particular one was old and worn, like the Magikoopa who wielded it.

He knew that the Gold Egg had to have magical potential. Lots. He could feel it. Magic knows magic, and he could feel the power tingle within him at the mere thought of the treasure.

So, quietly, he slowly peered over the walls of the store to see two guards clad in gear standing before the main gates, their eyes stone cold, with almost no tiredness in them. That would change soon enough.

He had brought a few things to help him out, of course. And, like always, Kamek had a backup plan should they fail. So, he carefully scooped out something from a pocket within his massive cloak, each pocket concealing something new and potentially dangerous.

When his hand came back out to the chilly night air, it was grasping a tube. A tube that looked similar to that of one of toothpaste. On it were the words, 'Repel Gel.' Silently, he unscrewed the plastic cap and squeezed an application's worth of the clear gel into his scaly palm.

As it was lathered upon only his hands, the gel started to take full effect, making his whole body and clothes gain the attribute of a ghost- invisible and transparent.

After a couple of seconds of getting used to this transformation, Kamek started to silently slink toward the main gate of the minor castle that was before him. The piercing eyes of the Yoshi guards flew through him, and Kamek felt confident that this was going to work.

They were two rough, surly males. One purple, and one black. They both had equipped a shield and sword. The shield was of a classic shape, with a giant Yoshi egg painted on its front. The sword was a nice, sharp blade that glinted in the moon and had a red handle.

Kamek slipped out his invisible wand from beneath a similarly transparent garment as he noticed the noses of the two gruffly guards starting to pick up an odd odor in the night air.

Catching the guards by surprise, he called out, "Hypnotic Dust!!"

As these words were called, a cloud of thick, black powder floated outward from the wand's tip, and as it gracefully drifted to the ground, so did the two Yoshies, sound asleep.

Snickering with a humor not awaken for what felt like ages, the Magikoopa gleefully swung open the giant red doors, their squeaking surprisingly soft for being so big. "Stupid dinosaurs..." he muttered to himself, still finding the two guards amusing.

The dark interiors of the castle greeted him next, and he smiled. So neat, so tidy. The red carpet that led down the large room to the next, the paintings all aligned along the walls. The floors: immaculate tiles with all kinds of inscriptions upon them. The air clean and fresh.

It had been a long while since last he had visited here...

But what he was here for now was much more important. So he sneaked through the halls, and darted through the doors. Using his Hypnotic Dust here and there, he was granted easy access to the hallway where they rested- the king, the queen, and their child.

This darkened hallway was slightly lit by the open windows on its left side. The floor had another nice, neat carpet along it, with gold trimming. To his right, about ten feet forward, was a door. A door that led to the prince's bedroom. The door was open at the moment, and some dim light eradiated from it.

Kamek sighed deeply. Yoshi always had to stay up late to play his accursed video games, didn't he? That meddling brat would be taught a lesson soon enough. But Kamek couldn't dare attack now. It was useless, he knew.

The King and Queen could overpower him easily in this weaker state he was in. Besides, he couldn't use his magic to kill those too pure of heart. Not yet, at least. But with time...he would gain power. If he had enough dark power, it could counter attack the positive energies of those he despised.

Yess....

And then those three....They would be gone. And he could win in a heartbeat against the whole of Yoshi's Island. Those three, chosen by Fate to one day protect their kind....

Yoshi...

Fireball...

Tarts...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The names he had loathed with a passion since their births sixteen years before. He had kept track of them with his magic over the years, and he knew they were weak now, but if he waited too long to challenge them...

They could ruin everything. Which was why the plan had to be perfect. And it nearly was...

And step one was about to take place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The door to Yoshi's bedroom slowly peered open, and a green head poked out to glance down the dark, moonlit hallways with wonder. A knot balled up in his stomach, but he saw nothing odd, nor heard anything. His nose couldn't pick up the scent of anything out of the ordinary.

A sweet, soft voice called to him in a near whisper.

"Yoshi..?" What's wrong?" The concern of the tone brought the creature's attention back to his room.

"Uh..." he hesitated a moment, "...Nothin'. I just...thought there was somebody out in the hallway," he replied with an edge of weariness in his words as he slowly closed the red door and returned to the comfort of his room. Perhaps he had been staying up too late these past few nights?

"Yea, right," a sarcastic voice answered. "You're just stalling time because I'M kickin' your can at Smash Brothers Melee!!" the dialogue accused.

"That's not it!" Yoshi protested back.

His red friend nodded with a roll of the eyes. This red Yoshi's name was Fireball.

"Yeaa...." he said slyly, continuing his sarcasm.

That same voice that had been sweet and soft just moments before boiled a bit at her red friend.

"Would you shut up already, Fireball?" she growled irritably.

She was Tarts, Yoshi's other best friend. She was a cute pink Yoshi admired for her beauty by many a guy at school, and sought after for her feisty temper and sweet compassion.

Fireball smugly added, "And you're saying THAT because I'm kickin' your Ice Climber @$$!"

The environment of the room was warm and inviting. Posters were hung upon the dark red walls, with images of legends known far and wide. An elfish Hyrulian swordsman with a green cap...A galactic bounty hunter who adorned a metallic suit of armor...A muscular monkey with a red tie with the letters 'DK' printed on it...A stern, strong willed fox with a laser blaster in hand...And a sort of pudgy man with a thick black mustache and a red hat known all over the young dinosaur's world.

There were plastic figures topping the shelves, which jutted out of the wall, and other various knicks and knacks.

Two big beds lay on opposite sides of the room, adjacent to the door, while straight ahead of the entrance was a wide, open space with a TV leaned up against the wall.

One bed was for guests, and one was for the prince himself. Both blankets were covered with egg patterns of all colors.

And right now, it was the middle of the night, and the three good friends were playing a game of Melee on the television. As Yoshi slid in place on the soft carpet between his buddies, he grabbed his Gamecube controller tightly and returned to the game. It felt good to battle his friends without literally being hurt.

The match upon the set was that between Yoshi, playing as himself, Tarts, playing as the Ice Climbers, and Fireball, playing as Mario. Fireball was in the lead by two stock, while his fellows both had one.

"I just have this weird feeling in my stomach..." Yoshi moaned, his gut in slight pain.

Tarts stopped concentrating a moment and nodded to him in a agreement.

"Yea, I know. Me too. But...I guess maybe I'm just hungry..." she muttered.

Her lack of attention gave her away to her friend Fireball, who slammed her Ice Climbers away from the Hyrule Temple stage with a firey Smash Attack.

Yoshi, as well, was sent spiraling downward from Mario's Meteor Smash just seconds later as a result of his weariness.

"This game's winner is....MARIO!" a deep voice announced.

"HA!" Fireball smirked.

Tarts argued bitterly, "If we were playing Mario Kart 64, I'd SO beat you!"

Fireball nodded he was expecting that to come up.

"This ain't Mario Kart, girl. That's prissy stuff," he told her coolly.

She frowned hardly.

"What do you mean 'prissy'? What's THAT supposed to mean? Are you saying I'm a wimp?!" she demanded, almost standing up.

"Hm! It's not SUPPOSED to mean anything! It's fact! You ARE a wimp!" he laughed back.

Yoshi slapped his controller down to the carpet with a roll of the eyes.

Yep. Perfect timing...

"Guys..." he moaned amidst their quarrel.

They ignored him, so he repeated louder and clearer.

When they stopped, he informed them in an annoyed voice, "It's two in the morning! My parents said we could stay up if we were QUIET..."

The two blinked embarrassingly for a moment, until Fireball spat out immaturely, "Well, she started it."

Tarts had a look of disbelief on her face.

"What are YOU talking about?"

With a deep sigh, Yoshi retreated to his bed and sat there a moment. He noticed a framed picture on his black nightstand, and scooped it up in his green palms. It was a picture taken weeks ago, of him and ten of his good Yoshi friends. His face let out a warm smile while his two buddies spat insults at each other.

His friends. If only they didn't act so much like babies sometimes...

But he knew he could always count on them...They would always be there...Until that very night...Then, THEY would be counting on HIM...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kamek was a little shaky after Yoshi had peered out to see what was wrong, but he was still invisible, so he remained undetected. It was a good thing he had sprayed himself with some strawberry perfume before he had entered...A good Yoshi nose could've picked him out easily.

But now that the runt had returned to his room, the magician could slip down the hall further. If he was caught, the King and Queen Yoshi could easily take him out. He wasn't strong enough just yet to wage battles with those pure-hearted- they could definitely defeat him in a wink right now. That's what the Golden Egg was for...

If his assumptions were correct, the Gold Egg contained massive amounts of magical power, but there was only one way to find out- by breaking it open.

Breaking it open had proved to be difficult for those dinos, but how hard could it be for a Magikoopa with plenty of years under his cloak?

As he silently sneaked by the royal bedroom, its door gleaming and golden, he drew near, and the hall gradually lit up with a dim golden light. He was coming close...

Finally, he reached a small, round room, about ten feet in diameter. In the center rested a black marble podium with a bowl top. In that 'bowl' sat a Yoshi egg, its surface glittering like the sun.

It was about two feet tall, and was light gold all over. Its various splotches were dark gold in color, and the whole surface was perfectly smooth after being polished every day for such a long period of time.

With the grin of a little child, the scaly hands of the old coot snatched up that which he sought quite eagerly. He almost collapsed under its weight- his arms weren't what they used to be, and this egg was quite heavy.

And so, he toted it to the nearby window, simply a wide gap in the stone walls. When one lived in the tropics, closed windows were barely necessary. However, this night was indeed a more chilly one than Yoshi's Island normally experienced. He peeked out into the night, the many buildings of the town looking back up at him in horror. He cleared his throat and hesitated a moment.

Then, he went for it. Lifted his fingers to his mouth, he let out a shrill whistle. Within a couple of seconds, his trusty broom came whizzing to his side, and he was worried for a moment that it would crash into the walls.

After its stop, he hastily hopped on carefully, making sure not to drop his new treasure. He instantly scooped out his wand, its sleek metallic handle glinting in the moonlight.

With a short wave, the egg levitated from his hands and hovered loyally at his side, and thus the three of them took to the skies, as Kamek pondered a way to open it.

With a shout and a wave of the wand, a blast of fire energy collided with the Gold Eggshell, but it barely did anything at all, leaving behind an unscathed Egg.

With a grunt, he had to think some more. Perhaps if he used a strong enough combination...

As he muttered names of spells, his wand began to glow more and more. Slowly it built up more and more power, until his trembling arm lifted it high enough to blast out the barrage of magic.

With a loud cry, an explosion rocked the air, sending out a pulse of unstableness. The many bright colors of light from the magical attack bombarded the Golden Eggshell, and this time, it worked like a charm. Shards of Gold rained down upon the island below him. He was extremely high up, and the pieces sparkled down upon Yoshi's Island gracefully, each piece going out in a different direction.

With a toothy grin, Kamek laughed at what met his eyes next...

~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 2- The Gold Egg is Gone...So What?

The dawning sun's light gently poked at his face. He turned to the other side a moment, his body irritated by the interruption. But moments later, it realized that the time had come to awaken. It would have dropped back dead asleep if it knew what was in store for it.

Two skinny green hands reached out for the morning air, stretching in unison with a yawn from a wide mouth. Two big eyes blinked groggily at the sight before him.

As he sat up slowly, wandering out of his bed, something odd happened. He plummeted a couple of feet to the ground, landing flat on his big, green nose, the fresh, hard, yellow soil meeting with it. After a moment of surprised blinking, the dino jumped awake, and realized something was very peculiar. He wasn't in his castle!

With a trembling jump, he launched himself onto his feet and frantically searched around. No Fireball. No Tarts. No one. Just trees, grass, fruit...

In shock, he stepped back, only to stumble haphazardly over the hammock that he had awoken in, slipping over his own feet and collapsing to the ground again.

Gasping in surprise and a twinge of fear, he lay there a few moments, wondering what the heck could have happened...

Trying to dismiss it all, he wobbled up to his feet once again and took a breather for a moment. He was in the Hawk's Eye Clubhouse, a tranquil place off to the east of his hometown. Yoshi and his friends, with the help of their parents, constructed this hang out about seven years ago.

It was basically an area cleared away so that trees all around surrounded it. It was adorned with a hammock, a tree house, and other various things.

As Yoshi left the area of his younger days, he let out a nostalgic sigh.

But today would be one of the most important days of his life. For today, the greatest challenge for him would start. A challenge that would breach time and space.

He carried himself out of the clubhouse to find the open, grassy plains of the area he called home. The short, clean grass blew slightly in the morning breeze.

As he sucked in the fresh air through his nostrils, his pace followed a worn path down toward his home.

As the sun raised into the sky a tad more, Yoshi's eyes caught the sight of a very familiar wooden sign. The sign had three little points jutting out. One to where he just been, one straight ahead of him, and one to his left and backward.

The one said 'Hawk's Eye Clubhouse.' The one pointed back the other path was inscribed, 'Magician's Court.' The Magician's Court was an outdoor stadium where combat was practiced. The perfect place for a magic competition.

The last arrow was directed toward Yoshi's hometown, Yoshina Village. It was where his home castle resided, and was quite a bustling place at times.

As he casually strolled on, he was met by the eastern gate of the town soon enough. There were no guards on the scene as there usually were, so Yoshi's already churning stomach bubbled again with worry.

He shoved the elegant metal doors wide open and peered inside to see townspeople making a ruckus at the huge, red front doors of the castle. The castle looked as good as it ever did, but there was an odd feeling coming out of it. Yoshi couldn't quite describe the feeling. Like...Evil had lurked within its walls just earlier that day.

As he neared the castle, the crowd's voices grew louder.

"What do you mean?! My son is missing, and if the King doesn't do anything about it-"

"My sweet little girl has vanished, and she was entrusted to the King and Queen last night! How could they let something like this happen-"

"Where's my kid?! You better go tell Raptalcon he's got something coming if he's just gonna ignore-"

"Does he not even care for his son, either?!"

Yoshi growled. Of course. No wonder his friends were all immature: their parents were babies, too.

Yoshi knew another way in, as this path was clearly inaccessible at the moment.

Trying not to draw any attention to himself, Yoshi went back to the side of the building. There was another door there in the side of the place, which was hidden by a pile of crates containing extra rations. Yoshi knew that if he moved over a couple of them, he'd find the door.

With a grunt, the few boxes were shoved over to the side and a little door was made visible.

Quickly opening it, Yoshi dashed inside the room that greeted him. It was actually a closet full of clothes for the King, mostly royal capes, and he gently pushed them aside to burst through the door and gape at the hallway to his castle.

When the door swung open, Yoshi was greeted by a woman's scream.

He cried out, too at the sight of the Black Yoshi chef.

It was Louise, one of the two royal cookers to the throne. Her partner was another black Yoshi named Louey, and the two were engaged at that time. After catching her breath for a moment, Louise's eyes bulged open.

"Yoshi...??" she murmured.

"Yea. Uhh...Sorry for the scare there.." he added in a mumble.

"Oh! Quite allright..I'm fine...But are YOU?" she wondered as she led him down the hall to the kitchen.

"Psh! Oh, yea! I'm fine. I little shaky, I guess, but OK..." Yoshi replied with a shrug.

Louise trotted with a slight waver in her voice.

As they entered the kitchen, its white, patterned walls meeting their eyes, Yoshi brought up a topic he had been wondering about.

"Hey, uh, Louise, do you know why I woke up in-"

Yoshi's question was interrupted, however, by a familiar voice.

"Yoshi!! Hey-eh!! Yea, buddy! Where the heck were YOU?"

Yoshi's eyes blinked rapidly for a second as Fireball met them.

"Fff....Fff....-" was all he could mutter. He had woken up in the clubhouse, but here was his friend, eating breakfast.

Fireball smiled with glee as he stuffed pancakes covered with strawberry syrup. The sticky goop slowly dripped down onto the plate, and Yoshi's stomach growled, and saliva poured into his mouth, ready for incoming food. But now was certainly NOT a good time for food.

"What's got a hold of YOUR ten foot tongue?" Fireball's pancake-muffled voice inquired.

"I..uh...Nothing," Yoshi muttered, realizing that something very odd was going on.

"Uh...So, where's Tarts?" he mumbled, hopeful.

Fireball's face froze a moment.

"Ummm....Well, see. we don't really-"

Yoshi tossed his arms and spun around before Fireball even finished.

"I can't believe this! What the heck happened last night?" Suddenly, in frustration, Yoshi spun around and glared at Fireball.

"Did YOU have anything to do with this?!" he grumbled with uncertainty.

"What?!" Fireball's face lit up with some anger from the accusation.

Yoshi suddenly felt a pang of guilt. Here he was putting the blame on one of his best friends.

"I...I'm sorry about that," he murmured, quickly calming down.

"I just...-" he trailed off with a sigh.

A frown still on, Fireball returned to his eating.

"Yea. I get it. You actually care about her..." he grumbled, his arms crossed.

The truth was that Fireball DID care about her, and he was angry, too. Because Tarts wasn't the only one missing.

"Just so you know," he added, his voice still tinted with a little rage, "All of our friends are missing, too. Surfer, Snoball, Ivy, Cruiser...everyone.."

Yoshi stared blankly for a moment. He had figured that was the case. Geez...

With a deep sigh, Yoshi pulled up a seat to the table and collapsed into it. Louise was fetching his already busy parents. Soon enough, his mom would choke him with a hug, and those 'I was so worried about you' comments would erupt into the room.

But right now he didn't care- he wanted to know where his friends were, and, more importantly, what had happened to them all.

He simply sat there, his appetite suddenly gone. Fireball and he shared a few moments of silence, the only noise the chewing of Fireball's jaws.

Then, came the clapping of shoes against the floor as someone came eagerly trotting toward the room.

Yoshi's eyes rolled.

"Mom..." he murmured.

Fireball's eyes lifted from his little remaining food.

"Hm?"

Yoshi shook his head to send the message, "Never mind."

Fireball's gaze was about to meet his pancakes again, but they quickly sprung up as an adult green Yoshi wearing an elegant red cape with silver brimming came swarming into the room.

Her eyes flashed with joy as she spotted her dear son.

Instantly, her arms became tangled around the grouch-faced dino.

"OHHH!!! I'm so glad you're HOME!! We were SOOO WORRIED!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten minutes later, the King and Queen were finally done uttering their worries and Yoshi had scarfed down some food for the long day ahead of him.

"But...How the heck could that happen? They all just...disappeared?"

The Queen replied to her son, "Yes, yes. We know it's strange. That's why we're so worried. We thought you'd all been kidnapped, but...Now we know that something possibly worse is at work..."

The King nodded solemnly.

"Boys...I've got some explaining to do..." he muttered, "But first...I am quite sure that one of your other friends is nearby...And I need all three of you here. So, I request that you both depart the village and head west to Melon Bridge."

Yoshi and Fireball both looked at the King in shock for a moment. Why were they supposed to head out and find a friend of theirs so suddenly and by themselves?

But the King's stern glare kind of scared them a bit, so they decided they should probably listen to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fireball let out a grumpy huff as they paced down the dirt path to Cider River, which sat but only a hop and a skip from Yo****a Village to the east.

"Man! Why the heck do WE have to go somewhere to find the stupid girl! Ain't MY fault Tarts sleepwalks!"

Yoshi rolled his eyes and turned his head around as he stepped forward in the morning sun.

"She didn't SLEEPWALK! Something else happened...And I have a real bad feeling about it..."

Fireball shook his head.

"Yea, I hope not. I really am NOT in the mood to work my @$$ off today. I just wanna eat and sleep. And maybe kick the crap outta people in Melee."

Yoshi nodded. He wouldn't mind that, either.

"I wouldn't hold out on that," Yoshi muttered.

"I'm telling you. My stomach isn't agreeing with those pancakes, and it's telling me that something's up," he explained.

"Oh, whatever," Fireball put it off. "You and your little premonitions."

Yoshi came back with a smart remark. "Yea? Well, then. Who was the one who thought something weird was going to happen last night? Who was the one who knew something was up? I rest my case," he finished, waving his hands.

Fireball's crossed arms dropped as he couldn't really disagree with that.

The both of them were a bit cranky, as they were not planning on something so confusing happening that day. They had planned on a meeting to discuss their upcoming birthday. As many of them were born on the same day, a huge party was always in order, and it was like Christmas for them all. They always planned it a month in advance.

Just then, the long, wooden bridge came into view. The sound of streaming water became clearer, as the Cider River appeared before them.

The Melon Bridge was a sturdy, well taken care of bridge made of wood that curved with an upward arc over the water to the other side. It was the gateway over the Cider River, a body of water that flowed at a smooth, steady pace with an average width of about fifty yards! The big wooden bridge was a famous landmark and often visited, but there was no one there this morning- or was there?

The silhouette of a creature came into view. An elegant figure with neat curves. (Reeow..;)...) A large, roundish head and big feet. There was a distinct, familiar gracefulness in the person's posture that Yoshi knew.

He almost muttered the name, but wasn't quite sure just yet. He kicked into a jog, and Fireball called to him to ask what he was doing.

But he didn't care right then.

"Tarts...? Is that you?!" he shouted, raising his hand and waving as he ran.

The figure was now visible as a pretty, pink Yoshi who looked quite beat, in more ways than one.

Her face lit up as she saw her two friends, and she smiled.

She had little strength right now to run, though, so she just waited for the two to arrive. Fireball, after realizing who it was, had started to catch up to his green bud.

After reached her, Yoshi had a strong urge to just run and hug her, but he came to a short stop. He didn't want to cause an awkward scene, and he knew Fireball would either complain or make fun of him. But it wasn't really...THAT sort of thing, it was the fact she was his best friend, and he was worried about her.

Fireball came to a panting halt in front behind the two, and they all exchanged glances for a few moments.

Tarts' eyes watered up slightly, and her smile grew a little. But, quite abruptly, it vanished. And just as suddenly, Yoshi was caught off guard as two slender, pink arms wrapped themselves around him and the weight of Tarts' body tested his endurance as she collided with him in a friendly hug. A desperately friendly hug.

She rested her head on his shoulder and let a few tears drip down. This made Yoshi quite nervous, especially with Fireball nearby, who was huffing, a slight puff of smoke flowing out of his nose. Not knowing exactly what he should do, Yoshi just let his right arm slink behind her and massage her bare, bruised back slowly.

Her face had a couple of cuts on it. The rest of her was dotted with a bruise here or a scrape there.

As water slowly dripped out of her eyes, she told them what was going through her mind.

"Oh, guys...Thank goodness. I was SO scared. I just...woke up, and I was in this strange place, with grass everywhere, and trees. And it took me a minute to realize it was Grape Valley, and when I did, I really freaked out. I KNEW I hadn't fallen asleep there, and when I met these weird, tube faced weirdoes with...with axes...I just...I didn't know what to do," she spat out, quite quickly.

Her eyes had opened and were staring at the ground.

She let out a gentle scream at the though of it, which sounded more like a whimper.

"It was horrible. I got lost, they beat me up, and there were these monsters around and everything that were out to get me. I just ran. I ran, hoping I'd get back here before they all got me or something."

There was a waver in her voice that Yoshi rarely knew from her. She really WAS frightened. But, then again, so was he, only he hadn't have been attacked when he awoke.

She wasn't wearing anything, and Yoshi knew it was best to bring her back. This only confirmed the already awful feelings he had.

As he let her go, her one arm stayed rested on his shoulder. He spun around to Fireball, which was kind of a personal way to get that arm off, as he felt butterflies float around in his gut, which doesn't mix well with worry and fear.

It wasn't that he hated her. She made him nervous when she acted like that. And he didn't like that nervousness, especially right now.

"Uhh....So! Let's just..go back, and my dad can explain what's going on," he announced, glancing at Fireball.

"Huh? Wh...What do you mean?" Tarts asked, a knot curling up in her gut, her eyes furrowing a bit with seriousness.

Yoshi left it for the moment at, "You'll find out. I'm still waiting to know."

~*~*~*~*~*

There. Have fun, be merry.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 11:38:14 AM »
I'm not good at compliments, but I'll give it a shot:  This has GOT to be one of the best stories I've ever read.  Whoever's not reading this doesn't know what they're missing.  And I like how the story is so philosophical.

Hamster Sauce!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 06:38:23 PM »
Lots of people check the stories out, they just don't feel like posting sometimes.

Proud to be an American!
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 06:46:19 PM »
This is a very good story, almost better than "The Prophecy" (sorry Sapphira)! :) I am glad this story isn't heavily filled with drama and misery.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 10:43:35 AM »
Um...Errr...Well, I only post on forums where people BOTHER to review my fic, ya know...

So if you DO like this story and wanna keep reading it, you should post.

I've heard the Prophecy is good. I'd read it myself, but haven't the time right this minute...

Drama and misery? Errm...Wel, actually, this story is very dramatic, and there's a big block of stuff WAY later on that's miserable...Ya know, war tends to be that way.

Anyway, just to remind you, this isn't only about teh Yoshies. You just have to be patient and read to find out. :)

But drama, emotions, etc. are KEY to the fic. Granted, there's plenty of action, and plenty of romance later on- No, not usually quite as bad as soap operas...At least I don't think so...SOmetimes the main point of a romance will be purely comedy.

Yes, anyway...

PHILOSOPHY?! WHERE? *pants crazily* I LOVE PHILOSOPHY!!

Chapter 3- On a New Journey...

The sun shone brightly on their faces as they entered Yoshina Village. The commotion had died down, and Yoshi figured it was because the villagers had realized that complaining was no use.

But why was no one doing anything to help find them? Why had he and Fireball been sent out to investigate, and not the adults? Yoshi and his two best friends were about to find out very shortly.

As they assisted the hurt Tarts into the town, she begged to go and see her parents, to let them know she was allright.

"Oh, don't worry about that right now," Yoshi told her. "Fireball can go and tell them. We need to bring you to the castle to get some help there. Besides, a Yoshi can't run on an empty stomach, can they?"

Fireball let out a huff of sorts. Yoshi could have at least asked him if he even wanted to go run this little errand.

But he cared for his pink friend, and ran off to her residence, while Yoshi helped the girl into his huge estate.

The townspeople were all quiet, or so it seemed. After getting in the main gates and down the entrance hallway, they reached the throne room. No one was there at the moment, though.

"Where is everyone?" Tarts mumbled, feeling a little nervous.

Yoshi glanced around suspiciously.

"I...don't really know..." he admitted.

"Come on."

He led her further into the castle, to the dining room, it's enormous table extending quite a distance.

And there, at the end of the table, sat a plate. A single, solitary porcelain plate covered with pancakes and red, strawberry syrup.

The two figures stared at it for a moment in silence.

"Well...I guess that's your breakfast.." Yoshi mumbled, shrugging.

Tarts, still aching a bit here and there from her earlier ordeal, sat down slowly at the table and picked up the shining fork that sat on a napkin beside her meal.

As Yoshi hustled into the kitchen nearby to inspect the area and see who was there, Tarts suddenly realized just how hungry she was, and dropped her fork on the red, shining tablecloth, and within another couple of seconds, had engulfed her pancakes with the swipe of a tongue.

Yoshi came back in calmer than before. The chef, Louey, was at his side and asked how the food was.

Tarts answered with a satisfied, "Oh, thank you. It was very nice." After hesitating a moment, she asked, "Um...Is there any more?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The shaking Tarts was showing earlier died down when she talked with her parents. She assured them that she fine, now that she was home.

What she didn't know was that staying home wouldn't last very long.

In fact, her life was about to change quite dramatically. She would soon be intertwined in something that would throw the balance of all worlds out of whack.

Her parents didn't seem to want to let her go, but the King informed them that he had to speak with their daughter.

"I'm terribly sorry, but now is the time..." he whispered to them as Yoshi led Tarts into the next room as his mother requested.

The white father Yoshi and red mother Yoshi both nodded, seeming to know fully well what was going on.

Tarts was oblivious, but she was certainly not alone. As Fireball joined up with them in the long hallway leading to a spiraling staircase, he spoke up.

"Do you guys have any frickin' idea what the HECK is going on?" he asked quietly.

Yoshi shook his head, eyes wide, while Tarts just shrugged.

"I TOLD you," Yoshi reminded him, "My stomach hasn't been feeling right. I have a gut feeling that something really bad is up."

Tarts nodded solemnly.

"Yea...I know.." She sighed sadly.

She then realized that she still didn't have any shoes on, no saddle, or anything.

She blushed for a moment, but just kept on walking. The carpet floors of the castle felt good beneath her big Yoshi toes.

They finally reached the hallway that led to their bedrooms, and the room at the end that had once held the Gold Egg. That beautiful Golden Egg was missing, though. They didn't really notice this at first, as King Raptalcon was blocking the passage to the room.

When they spotted him, they immediately quickened pace.

As he spotted them, his thoughtful eyes lit up and he called out, "Young ones! Come forth!"

"What does he think we're doing?" Fireball grumbled, panting down the hall.

After a moment of no sound but the pounding of feet against the floor, they reached His Majesty and paused.

After taking a quick breather, Yoshi glanced up.

"Dad? What's going on?" he questioned.

He then stopped as he saw the glimmer in his father's eyes. A proud glimmer. It was as if his eyes were made of diamonds.

"Ahhhh....The day has come.." he murmured.

Yoshi lifted a brow.

"Huh?" he mumbled, confused.

"What do you mean?"

Raptalcon shook his head with a smile.

"Oooohhh.....My boy," he stated, "The day has come for you all to fulfill your destiny." He let his teeth shine out in a grin.

They all stared at him, perplexed.

"...Rrrriiiight..." Fireball muttered.

"And.WHAT, exactly, does this have to do with our friends missing..?" He rotated his hands around, motioning the King to explain.

He laughed out humorously.

"Well....Everything!" He cleared his throat and returned to a more serious tone of voice.

"You see..." he began, feeling embarrassed. He trailed off for a moment.

The three younger dinos exchanged confused glances for a few moments.

The King cleared his throat quickly.

"Let me try to explain a little bit.You see." He was still at a loss of words. Trying to phrase it right wasn't coming to him.

"Just spit it OUTt! We haven't got all friggin' day!!" Fireball grumbled.

Tarts glared at him in shock.

"Fireball!!" she growled between grit teeth.

"That's RUDE! He's the KING!" she scolded.

With a roll of the eyes, Yoshi shook his head and turned back to his father.

"Just.Tell us, dad," he begged.

His Majesty nodded solemnly.

"You see, kids.Something happened last night."

He stepped to his side to reveal the entrance to the white walled room at the end of the hallway. An empty stone podium sat there, and the room was slightly dark, as the only light entering it was pouring from the small window.

They all blinked a bit, their eyes wide.

"Hey, uh, isn't there supposed to be a big, shiny egg there or summin'?" Fireball mumbled.

"Yea!! The Gold Egg used to sit there!" Yoshi realized.

"OH!! Right!" Fireball cried. "That thing was sweet @$$!"

Tarts shook her head, puzzled.

"Wait.Why is it gone?" she questioned, shrugging.

Fireball snapped out at her, "Well, DUH! Somebody must have taken it."

Tarts huffed and rolled her eyes in a very fed up kind of way.

"Well, GEE, thanks for telling me. I think I figured that one out before you did, ya big-"

"Oooookay, oookay." Yoshi muttered, waving his hands in front of her.

"We don't have the time, guys," he informed them.

He turned to his father now.

"All right. So.Who took it?" he wondered.

The King nodded and scratched his chin carefully.

"I have strong reason to believe that it was Kamek." he mumbled uneasily.

"KAMEK?" Yoshi asked, not sure he had heard right.

Fireball added in, "That old fart's still ALIVE?!"

The King nodded, his eyes wandering.

"Well.Why would he take it?" Tarts pondered, tapping her index finger against her cheek.

"To sell it or something.?" Yoshi suggested, unsure.

"No. No, no!" Raptalcon assured.

"I know exactly why he took it. Because he knew its true potential." The wise monarch turned his back to them to face the window of the room, and he stepped slowly inside, his wondrous royal red cape flapping elegantly behind him.

The others followed him into the room, waiting for him to explain further.

"You might be wondering why I sent you two to find Tarts instead of doing it myself." he muttered, directing his words to Fireball and Yoshi.

"Well, the truth of the matter," he began, "is that.we.can't actually LEAVE." he mumbled out, embarrassed.

The three teens stared at him, their jaws slightly dropped.

"..Rrriiiggghhhttt." Fireball murmured.

"Uh.Where's the Queen? She's probably a little more sane than him, right?" he guessed.

Tarts growled out, "Stop insulting him, you moron!! Why do you have to be such a jerk?" she snapped at him.

"Why do you have to be little Miss Perfect?" he countered.

Her face fumed. She took a deep breath and decided to let it go, for Yoshi's sake.

"Wait.What do you mean, dad? Why wouldn't you guys be able to leave.?" Yoshi asked in a quiet voice.

The King bobbed his head.

"Apparently, the Golden Egg which used to rest in this very room was stolen last night, as you know. After Kamek stole it, he somehow broke it open, and-"

"Broke it OPEN?" Fireball's jaw dropped.

"How the he** did he do THAT? Musta needed one he** of a sledgehammer."

Tarts had the urge to shout, "You idiot! He used magic, DUH! He's a MAGICIAN!!" but she let it go once again.

"No, actually," the King corrected, "He had to have used a good combination spell." His Majesty scratched at his chin a little before his eyes snapped awake once more.

"Anyway, the point of the matter is that the explosion of the Golden Eggshell had some effect on every Yoshi in this village. None of us can use our magical capabilities, nor can we exit Yoshina Village. Quite a predicament, wouldn't you say?" he looked back at them, a thoughtful gleam in his eyes.

"That doesn't make any sense!" Yoshi objected. "If none of the Yoshies can leave or use magic."

He paused a moment and raised his palm in front of his face.

After a moment of staring at it, puzzled, he called out, "Egg Smash!" Upon doing so, a white egg with light green spots came out of a green cloud and into his hand, ready to be thrown at a target. "How come I can use magic, then? And how were we able to leave the Village and come back in?" he finished, looking back at his dad, his eyes narrowed.

The King smiled warmly.

"That is because you three are very different than the rest of us. 'Tis your duty to find your friends and restore the Gold Egg to its former glory."

They all stared at one another for a few seconds. Why did it seem so strange.and yet make so much sense.?

Right from birth they had been heroes, saving the Super Happy Tree from a teenage Bowser. But this was a lot different.

The King nodded, expecting their reaction.

"I thought you'd understand it. Now.Fireball, you explain to the parents just what exactly is going on. Tarts, you go see the Queen. And Yoshi, you go and prepare yourself. I believe Alex should be waiting in the kitchen for you. He has something that should prove useful."

After the King had addressed them, they went about their assigned duties without delay, knowing that this was urgent.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A few minutes had passed, and Yoshi had made his way into the kitchen, a glamorous room of white and red walls. Its floor was that of a shining white tile, each square had a red 'Y' printed onto it.

A plastic island jutted out from the middle of the room to create a counter for cooking. A stove was attached to this part, but there were two other stoves on one side of the room, and a giant refrigerator on the other. A doorway opened up on the opposite side of its main entrance, which led to a huge storage room.

There didn't seem to be anyone in the room at the moment. There didn't SEEM to be. But there was.

A small, swift white shape dashed up from behind the 'island' in the middle of the kitchen and greeted Yoshi.

"Hi, champ!" he cried, the little propeller on top of his head spinning wildly.

It was Alex, the White Fly Guy and one of the King's trusted viziers.

Yoshi let out a sigh. Just like when he was a kid. "Hey, Alex," he replied, his voice sounding a little depressed.

Yoshi walked onward and sat on a stool that was leaned up against the 'island' counter. His serious eyes stared into the gleaming white surface of the counter as he laid his head down on his folded arms.

Alex showed a sympathetic look and hovered next to him.

"Why the long face, sport?" he asked curiously.

"Don't ever call me 'sport' again," Yoshi grumbled, his voice muffled by his arms.

"Oh, come on.Aren't you excited? I mean, I've been waiting YEARS for this day. When you got to go out into the world and be a great hero and what- not." he trailed off.

Yoshi's brow furrowed and he raised his head.

"What the heck are you talking about? How does everyone KNOW about this?" he demanded.

Alex hesitated a moment.

"Well, Yoshi.It's hard to explain. All I can really say is that we all saw it coming. We all knew you'd be a great figure in our history from the day you were born."

He cleared his throat and continued.

"I mean, you're an excellent leader. All of your friends see you as the 'leader of the pack,' don't they?"

Yoshi huffed and lowered his head again.

"Yea? Well, then why do they have to get on my nerves so much sometimes.?" he grumbled between his arms again.

Alex laughed.

"Oh, don't be ridiculous! You're just angry because your friends are missing!"

Yoshi growled a bi, but Alex didn't seem to hear him.

He suddenly burst out, "Well, of COURSE I'm angry!! Why do you think I have a 'long face?' Geez! I mean, I've gone out and done.heroic.crap before, but.My friends were never GONE OUT OF THIN AIR!!" Upon shouting this, Yoshi threw his arms out and slammed them onto the counter.

Alex remained very quiet for a few moments, but then decided to give Yoshi what he was supposed to.

He silently soared over to a nearby drawer and pulled it open slowly. Inside was a leather backpack, its surface tinted with a light brown. It had a large pocket on the outside, and a simple flap to protect the main sack area.

He tugged it upward and dropped it onto the counter in front of Yoshi's face, which had calmed down a bit.

He paused a moment, his eyes wide with surprise.

He pawed the brown pack a little with his hands, but before he said anything, Alex piped up, "It was your grandpa's. Your dad thought it could prove useful."

Yoshi was a little skeptical. A wussy little brown backpack was supposed to be useful?

Alex chuckled at his expression, but not quite as loudly as he had last time.

"Put something INSIDE it," he urged, waving his hand vertically.

Confused, Yoshi searched around. The refrigerator!

He knew they'd be needing food if they were going to be traveling a lot.

So he swung open the massive fridge door and grabbed a juicy melon. He shoved it into the backpack, and then jammed a couple of apples in, too. Next came in some bananas, and some grapes, and some strawberries, and some watermelons.Before he knew it, he'd realized he might have popped the thing with so much fruit.

And yet.It was fine. Puzzled, he gazed inside. A mass of colorful fruit met his eyes, and he squinted at it all. It looked like three times what the backpack appeared to be capable of carrying.

Blinking wildly, Yoshi placed the brown pack onto the counter slowly and turned to Alex.

"..Oh," he spat out, now understanding why it could be so 'useful.'

"Yes, I thought you'd see what I meant," Alex muttered, smiling.

"But, uh.Anyway, in the front pocket there you should find a map of Yoshi's Island. It should help guide you when you're lost, so don't lose it."

Yoshi nodded and slipped it onto his back.

"Well.Thanks a lot, Alex," Yoshi mumbled with a sigh.

"I, uh.gotta go. I'll see you later." With that, he started to exit the room and head upstairs.

"Don't you worry, champ! I'll see ya 'round! Stop by now and then, ya hear?!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The warm, royal red walls of his bedroom greeted him with a blend of loneliness and joy.

As he strolled through his room, reminiscing about all the good times he'd had in here with his friends, he now realized how much he wanted to get them back.

After staring at posters and figures of various people he knew, he reached his nightstand, where sat a portrait of he and his Yoshi friends. The friends he'd grown up with.

He suddenly paused and grabbed it firmly within his green hands. He slowly lifted it up to his face and gazed into it.

All of his best Yoshi buddies were all around him. Their bright faces shone forth from the frame. He smiled warmly at the photo.

Himself, about to set sail on a new journey.

Fireball, the wise crack of the group. The lazy red one who always seemed to get on girls' nerves. Yoshi had been friends with him from the beginning.

Tarts. One of his best friends from birth. A cute, pink bundle of joy. And yet, she could be such a grouch when she was angered. Sweet, yet sour. He liked that.

Surfer.The light blue, laid back, enthusiastic one. The optimistic one, who always saw things from the light side.

Snoball. The pure white tomboy. A feminist through and through, but definitely not what you might call a 'girly girl.' Snoball was similar to Tarts, but her tough side showed more often than her soft. Always honest and sincere, Snoball was one of Yoshi's better friends.

Termite. An odd one, indeed. The brown, muscular brute. Not too much brains, but a lot of brawn and a lot of raw power.

Cruiser. A calm, cool, collected orange. He liked to take the hard way and speed through things. But you could always count on him.

Buzzsaw. The bully, the meanie, and the nasty brat. A poisonous purple who tried to be tough and 'cool' like his older brother Boshi, but always seemed to fail and be looked down upon. He tried to take lead o the group early on, but everyone saw Yoshi as a better leader than he.

Sandy. A bright, usually cheerful girl. A shining yellow who loved to chat, Sandy was very sincere and caring, but could also be annoying and self centered when not in a good mood. Whenever she was feeling upset, everyone around her seemed to sadden as well.

Shadow. An intelligent black who loved literature and science. He loved to explore, but did so with a thinking mind, always planning things out. He wanted to be an archaeologist when he grew up and loved studying the ways of the ancients.

Ivy. A quiet dark green who always got shy when surrounded by too many people. Ivy had moved into Yoshina Village about five years beforehand, and she had been accepted as a friend very quickly. It remained a mystery where she had come from and why she didn't like to talk about her past, but they all knew for certain that it was dark and sad.

Yoshi's eyes glazed over and a tear almost trickled down his big cheek. Who had kidnapped them? Why?

"I'll find you guys." he murmured aloud, but slowly and quietly.

"I swear it."

It was at this moment he was caught off guard by a soothing, slender hand, which rubbed his right shoulder. He spun around to see Tarts' long face staring back at him.

"You mean WE'LL find them." she added with just barely a smile.

She had adorned some new garb, including a pair of black sandals on her big feet. A bright red saddle rested on her back, and Yoshi pointed to it and asked, "Isn't that.mine?"

Tarts grinned and nodded, blushing a little.

"Yea. Your mom said I could use it. Feels good," she replied, patting it a little.

"Oh.Well, uh, that's good." Yoshi mumbled, putting his portrait back down.

She also was wearing a necklace. Just a black string around her neck, which had a smooth, ovular jewel on its end. This came to rest right on her chest.

This jewel was an emerald green, and embedded in its center was a sphere of solid gold.

Yoshi was shocked when he realized this was his mother's engagement necklace.

"Isn't.that.-?" he muttered, wondering why she was wearing it. Tarts' eyes widened as she looked down at it affectionately.

"Oh! This! Yea, your mom said she would love to see me wear it. I like it a lot. You?"

She glanced back up at her green friend.

"Yea. It looks pretty good on you," Yoshi admitted, tightening his pack.

It was time to go. The cogs of time were turning, and wouldn't wait for dawdlers. It was time. Time for a new journey to start. A journey that would bring the fate of many together. The biggest journey of Yoshi's life, possibly. The biggest journey of all for many awaited. But what would be the outcome?

Only two things would decide. Time, and Destiny.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 10:47:03 AM »
This Chapter is meant to be laid out like a regal document, etc. You'll get the hang of it. If you know everyone in here, then you've played a good selection of games- this will help you to better understand later storyline stuff.

Here's some suggestions for games that have some storyline important to this fic...

Mario RPG/ Paper Mario
Yoshi's Island/ Yoshi's Story
Ocarina of Time/ Wind Waker
Sonic Adventure 1/ 2

Hm...Yep. Anyway, there will be PLENTY of surprise characters, too. I'll try not to ruin anything.

But if you're a Squaresoft/Nintendo/Sega/Capcom fan like me, you WON'T be disappointed...At least I don't THINK so...

Chapter 4- Magic 101

Here it is written the laws of basic magic for ye who know not how magic works.

Quote the words of Eldstar, Leader of The Honorable Star Spirits.

Magic is the ability to summon forces from the heart and spirit. Anyone has the capabilities to use magic, but not all harness the powers from within their soul to use it properly.

It can be used for good or evil, but it takes one main thing to be able to use it to its full potential- practice. Lots of practice.

There are many types of magic and many types of ways to use it. Magic can attack, defend, assist, and add various effects to those it is used upon.

All in all, magic is becoming better understood and being used very commonly today all over. Many residents of our planet, commonly referred to as the 'Mushroom World' but officially known as 'Stellon,' have harnessed the abilities of magic.

In particular are noted the Yoshies. Yoshies are now known to use magic in many ways, and their uniqueness in color variations seems to have a connection with this.

We Star Spirits have founded a great school in the midst of Star Haven, our capital city. We have declared it the Star Haven Academy of Magic, and have succeeded in schooling many students to the ways of magic. There seems to be no limit to the possibilities we may obtain from studying into this matter further.
Quote the words of Frogfucious, the wise amphibian philosopher and poet.

The mystical powers of nature are at work all around this world of ours. As more and more magical abilities were being discovered, I immediately started categorizing them into the many elements of nature itself. I was one of the first people of our planet to recognize all of the element types of magic up to date.

Normal

These are very common and just about anyone has the potential to learn how to use them. They involve mostly physical abilities, as well as enhancing ones, too, such as those that increase physical or magical attacking strength temporarily.

Fire

The powers of flame have been used in magic since magic itself began. Fire often specializes in pure magical power and damaging foes. Well known and used, fire magic is the choice of many a magic user. The heat of magma rests within the planet itself. The awe inspired by a volcanic eruption is just a taste of the powers of the flame.

Water

Another crucial element of nature is water, and it's no surprise to me that this is another of the elements. Water abilities do various effects, but mostly damaging or lowering physical defense of the enemy for a period. Water is unique in the fact that it can be soft and gentle one moment, flowing like a stream, and then careening down in a fast current the next.

Electricity

Electricity, oddly enough, seems to come more naturally to female users than males. Why this is true is yet to be understood. Nevertheless, the power of lightning is not to be trifled with. Some of the most immense magical abilities known to this day are electricity-based. The powers of the bolt are known to harm foes and often charge the power of an ally. The ferocity of nature's wrath becomes clear when a bolt of lightning rains down from the heavens.

Ice

The freezing capabilities of ice have been mastered by many a magic user, and it's no wonder why. The numbing properties of ice can be very useful in slowing down a foe or stopping them in their tracks completely. The raw strength of the icy mountain can tear a foe to pieces quite quickly when ice is used by a true magician. Nature's furious cold heart can eat away at the bone of a mere mortal quite easily.

Wind

Nature's whispers are among you wherever you go on the planet, and it shouldn't come as a shock that magic users of all sorts have learned to change the winds to their favor. The wind is known for its swiftness and agility, so anyone who wishes to out speed their foe should master the abilities of the air. When Nature shouts out in fury, the winds of our planet can become very deadly in an instant.

Stone

The mighty planet is composed of stone and earth, and magic can take the ground and shift it accordingly. Rock and stone are known as the most powerful physical force in magic. Physical defense and raw attack are their specialties, as well as shifting the ground itself. The unbreakable mettle of the planet's crust is not to be taken lightly, for the mere shaking of the earth beneath ones feet can cause massive destruction.

Poison

The cruel ways of disease and toxins are taken advantage of by many who wish to be sneaky. Poison is a dangerous type of magic that often focuses on shifting the enemy's status to favor the user. Poison slowly eats away at one's well being, making it very risky to fight. The ability to harness the powers of chemicals and waste can make your foe's life a bit shorter than expected.

Plant

Nature's beauty can clearly be seen in the essence of vegetation. The blooming rose is quite wonderful to look at. However, as you know, it is not so nice to touch. Plant type magic controls one of the most obvious matters of Nature- its lush beauty that should remain un-touched. It harms, helps, and restores. Plants are almost everywhere you go- the forest, the plains, and even underwater. Plants co-exist with the planet itself, and without them, life might not exist at all.

Light

The pure rays of light that beam down from the sun itself have served the purpose of magic well. The sun's energy is often used to aid allies and brighten the darkness that presides before one. It often represents the good, kind, and pure hearted, but not always. Although the sun is warm and polite, it can be dangerous as well.

Dark

Commonly used by the forces of evil, darkness is the most feared of magic types. It blinds, terrorizes, and batters a foe until there is nothing left. The evil essence of the heart brings out this magic in its most powerful form, but not everyone who uses dark magic is evil. When used for the powers of good, darkness can help defend allies from its wicked power. Wherever there is darkness, however, there is light. And wherever there is light, there is also darkness.

Star

The final element type is that of the heavens. Star abilities call upon the spirit of the sky to aid one in battle. But the Stars are often unpredictable, as is Star magic. Just because you make a wish, it doesn't mean you'll always get it granted. But sometimes luck will be on your side, and you may get more than you asked for. The gracious energies of the Power Stars themselves can take flight into the palm of your hand if you master this element.

And thus, I have concluded that magic and nature come hand-in-hand, and together they govern our world, as well as many others.

Quote the words of Spekkio, Master of War and Magic.

It is with good tidings I greet whomever might be reading this document.

Well now, for all those morons out there, magic has been around straight from the beginning. I should know- I was there! But magic is not always used properly or for the right purposes.

The power of magic all depends on the faith of the caster and the strength not of their fist, but of their heart. If you fight for a cause true to your heart, then the energies of nature can be yours to command.

Practice is also important. With more experience, you will be able to perform magic abilities beyond your wildest dreams. And don't think for one moment that just because you're some bum out in Hicksville, Nowhere, you can't use magic.

ANYONE can use magic! The only things that limit you from this potential are your mind and your environment. If you're having trouble with the spiritual powers coming to you, then find a place that is beautiful to your heart and try there. Your chances of success will be much higher.

But the most important thing to remember is to use it well and proud. Never brag about your abilities. No matter what, you will never know everything. Heck, I used to think I knew it all, but I got the facts set straight a few times until I realized that I wasn't the biggest man on campus.

Just be confident in your own skills and stay true to yourself. Trust me, it'll come to ya.

Quote the words of Keapora Geabora, the Wise and Watchful Owl.

Many a trial have I seen magic prevail. The power of Din, the grace of Farore, and the love of Nayru. Mine is a world where magic presides over all, and if one wishes to vanquish evil, magic is what one might prefer to use.

One must also be watchful of their surroundings. You never know which shadows are your friends, and which ones are your foes. Light, dark, it makes no difference. Power, Courage, and Knowledge. They tie together all that I needed to use magic. But it is not these three alone that will get you there.

Many factors come into play, and many of them you will have to find out on your own. But it is through adventure, tragedy, anguish, joy, and merriment that character is made.

And it is character, my friend, that will get you through everything and anything.

Here it has been written.

Words of the wise passed down to those newcomers to the world of magic.

Fate has sealed the souls of many together.

And it is through their trials that friendships shall be built and broken.

The Destinies of the few shall be bound to the fate of the many, and it will be theses few that shape the future of everyone around them.

Good, Evil, Light, Dark. To Fate, it doesn't matter who wins. But whose side will YOU be on when the time comes?

The War of Fate is beginning.

Your Quest for Destiny has already begun.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 12:48:41 PM »
*sigh* Meh. No replies, eh? Well, no matter. Time for more...

Chapter 5- O, Yoshi, Where Art Thou?
He sucked in a deep breath and relaxed. The moist air swam down his trachea and into his lungs as he could feel himself becoming one with his environment.

How he had arrived in this place upon waking up was still a mystery to him, and yet he wasn't worried about it whatsoever. Because he was a very calm, laid back kind of fellow, and he knew that either he'd find his way back himself, or his buddies would find him first.

Then, finally, he opened his eyes. They met the wet, damp atmosphere of Aqua Cave. This location was off to the southeastern corner of Yoshi's Island, and a river flowed through its wide, open spaces, soaking everything within. Of course, there were semi-dry spots of rock here and there that jutted out of the ravaging river.

He tilted down his sunglasses slowly and scanned the area around him once more, now remembering exactly where he was, and realizing where to set his sights on going next. He ****ed them back upright and started to stand up from his cross-legged position.

His bare, sky blue feet met the smooth, water-worn stone and rested there a few moments. His meditating session was now done with- now it was time to head out for whatever awaited him.

He was Surfer. One of Yoshi's better friends. The enthusiastic one of the group, he could see the good side of almost everything. He wasn't exactly one to carry on a conversation with, but he didn't need words. It was all in the body language with him.

And now, as he slipped on his dark blue Yoshi boots, he was faced with a bit of a predicament. A river was cascading all around his large stone isle. Where was he to go next?

~~~~~~~~~~

A groan escaped her as she rubbed the back of her head, dazed and confused.

"Sh*t.." she grumbled, remembering what had happened.

Her half closed eyes stared straight upward at the rock walls around her. This cursed stone barrier had her stuck in a freezer. She decided that her time would be better spent looking around than lying helpless, so she rose to her feet again.

Her sore legs almost buckled under her own weight as she started to walk.

Her head still throbbed from that stalactite of ice that had crushed it some period of time ago. She couldn't tell just how long ago, as she was inside a giant cave of some sort.

Ice was frosted along most of the walls, and any light that poured in from holes in the higher walls was reflected across their smooth surface to light up the place quite well.

Her eyes half closed, she started to meander around the area in search of an exit. Unfortunately, none could be found, at least not where she was looking.

She let out another anguished moan as she plopped down on a knee-high stone, her rear end sore from lying round on rocks while she was out of it.

As she took a deep breath, she wondered how any of this had happened. How did she wakeup in a giant cavern of ice? WHY did she wake up in a giant cavern of ice? And HOW was she supposed to get OUT?

She took a glance above her to stare at the awe-inspiring sight of this colossal, ice-plastered place.

"Come on, Snoball." she murmured to herself, trying to think.

"How would you get out of a place like this.?"

Snoball (spelled without a 'W' intentionally) was one of Yoshi's best friends.

She certainly wasn't the nicest persona round, but definitely wasn't the meanest, either. Although a tough, independent side shrouded her interior most of the time, deep at heart she was a caring, friendly person.

Her cloudy white skin made her blend in with her environs quite nicely, and being an ice element Yoshi, one might think she wouldn't mind at all where she was.

However, this was not the case. As a matter of fact, Snoball got sick quite easily in cold weather, and sometimes, it drove her crazy.

"An ice element Yoshi who catches a cold in the snow?!"

That's what many people thought, and Snoball got very embarrassed about it at times. She couldn't control her immune system, now could she?

Then there was the matter of her parents. But she very much disliked conversing about this topic.

And so, with another heavy moan, she asked herself when she would ever escape this place, and how she would do so.

~~~~~~~~~~

The fresh air flowed around him gracefully, and he appreciated its presence after all the walking he had been doing.

His fat feet came into contact with soft grass as he finally exited the dark caverns he had just been inside. He knew where he was- the Chomp Rock Cave. Which meant he could probably find his way back.

He scratched his chest with his powerful hands and yawned as his fierce eyes scanned his surroundings.

His nose sniffed the clean air roughly. Pine. Lots of pine.

As a matter of fact, he was surrounded by conifers, but they weren't all too thick in density.

He let out a smile, and upon doing so, his teeth shone with a metallic silver. Their razor edges gleamed in the late morning sun, and he was proud to show them to the world.

He was Termite. At least, that was his name NOW. Originally, it had been Crash.

But when he was about ten years of age, he went off exploring where he shouldn't have been- off in Sledger Valley, westward of Yoshina Village.

This place was a gathering spot for Hammer Brothers and their buds to hang out and pick on whoever got in their way.

Unfortunately, Termite just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because a couple of Hammer Brothers were looking for a test subject to use as a weapon of their own. They found little Crash, and immediately took him in.

Now, of course, the whole of Yoshina Village was in an uproar as to his disappearance, and a team was sent out quite promptly to search for him.

A day or two later, he was finally retrieved from the fiendish little turtles. However, they were horrified to discover an odd new trait Crash supported.

Metal, razor-sharp teeth. At first, his parents wanted them removed, but then they discovered that Crash actually LIKED his new addition. Apparently, his abductors were planning to use him as a little 'attack dog' of sorts.

So, they let him keep his unique set of choppers. His nickname became Termite, and the name stuck after six more years of having the odd razors in his mouth. Eventually, he outgrew them, but, oddly enough, had them replaced once in a while!

He decided to start training to be a strong and powerful bodybuilder, and succeeded. When compared to someone with rather slender arms, like Tarts, his appeared three times their size in thickness!

Perhaps this was one reason why he was a stone element person. Or maybe his brown coloring had something to do with it as well.

Either way, he was quite physically powerful, indeed.

His relationship with Yoshi wasn't incredibly close, but the two were friends, nonetheless. His closer buddies were still part of the 'group,' anyway.

He was one who didn't worry too often, and didn't know too much, either. A guy of common sense, he simply went straight to the point of something.

And right now, he was going to get straight to the point. What the heck had just happened that had sent him here?

~~~~~~~~~~

His feet skidded to a complete stop, and he almost fell over on his face. Was he where he thought he was?

The warm air cascaded over him and invited him in. The ocean's calm waves called out his name. But, more importantly, the island off slightly in the distance beckoned him.

He muttered its name, almost drooling.

"Yo'ster Isle."

Yo'ster Isle was the most famous place for Yoshi racing. It had been some time since he had last been here. And as a matter of fact, Boshi had whupped his tail severely in a race.

That day he vowed he would train and TRAIN to be the fastest Yoshi there was in Yoshina Village. And he was almost there, too.

His idol? Well, Sonic the Hedgehog, of course. He would DIE to meet that guy anytime soon. What he didn't know was that he'd be meeting the blur sooner than he'd expect.

But right now, his sights were set on blazing across the ocean before him, about a mile or so, to the isle right there.

As the warm sun beat down on the beach he was on, he didn't care how he had gotten here or why- all he cared about was racing. That was the kind of guy Cruiser was.

He was always dependable, though. At least when you asked him to help you out.

He was good friends with Termite. The two of them had moved from Rose Town, a village off a little ways from Yoshina, both at the same time. After they arrived in Yoshina, they were overjoyed to know each of them had moved. They had been good friends there, and that didn't change after they came to a new home. Now they were part of the 'gang.'

But Cruiser was blinded when he saw a challenge. Like right now. He didn't think about his friends too much, or his parents who were worried sick about him. Just racing.

Of course, no one's perfect.

But this free-roaming orange Yoshi had been barred down to the immediate area of Yoshina Village lately, as his parents got tired of him running off wherever he wanted. But now, he was just where he wanted to be, and the annual Seabreeze Derby was about to take place very soon. He couldn't miss an opportunity like this!

He was born to be wild, after all.

~~~~~~~~~~

His eyes cautiously darted from spot to spot, searching for any other traps. Anytime he stepped he could land in another one.

Drops of sweat poured down his neck as he tip-toed along. His day thus far had been long and agonizing, and he wished it would end already- although it was barely noon.

He wiped a hand across his purple face, and sweat dripped off of it.

He was Buzzsaw, a bully of sorts. He was always trying to be tough and 'cool' like his older brother Boshi, a re-knowned gangster. However, Boshi had stopped his thieving ways to be a warm-hearted guy.

Buzzsaw was still trying to be a big guy, though. He was always competing with Yoshi to be the 'leader' and whatnot. However, everyone didn't really like his arrogance, so they always shunned him about it. Buzzsaw wasn't the friendliest guy of the group, and therefore didn't have many good friends. He and Cruiser got along well, but that was about it.

He also had a little crush on Tarts, and was infuriated by the fact that she didn't want him. The thing that really pulled his string was that she wanted Yoshi- and yet, Yoshi didn't seem to be making any moves on her or showing that he wanted the same that she did.

And then, quite suddenly, he felt the blood rush to his head, his feet fly into the air, and the worlds around him flip upside-down.

A creaking noise was all he heard as he swayed to and fro softly. He then realized what had just happened.

He'd stepped on another of those stupid traps. A vine was tied around his right foot and he was left dangling on a thick tree branch among the many above him. He was in a fern-infested place with bushes and shrubs galore.

The dirt ground was barely visible among the vegetation surrounding him. He didn't exactly know where he was, as he didn't really like going exploring too much. He was in the northern region of Yoshi's Island, as a matter of fact.

He growled and started to shake his arms and legs, trying to pry himself free. Unfortunately, this didn't do anything but tire him out. His body floated there, panting and sweaty, for a minute or so until he made a decision.

He frowned sort of reluctantly and started to speak to what seemed like no one.

"Allright, allright." He folded his hands and started to pray to the Stars.

"Listen, I know I haven't quite been on the best of terms with you guys lately, but I'd really friggin' appreciate it if you guys let me know what the he** is goin' on!!!"

His eyes were bloodshot as he spat out the end of that sentence. But then, he took a deep breath and went on, much more calmed down.

"I'm sorry for the time I put Fuzzy fur in Sandy's sandwich. And.I'm sorry for the time I dunked a bucket of syrup on Surfer's bed. And.I guess I'm sorry for the time I put 30 spiders in Ivy's locker. And.I'm sorry for the time I almost melted Yoshi's Nintendo 64. Aaaand.Sorry for the time I almost cut Snoball's hand off with a ban saw.But that wasn't my fault!!..Kinda." His eyes nervously glanced around the shrubbery.

"I mean, the teachers should have been smarter than that. Geez, stupid idiots, leaving us dumb kids in the same room with sharp objects! Especially knowing me! Besides, after that, Snoball haunted me day and night, threatening to stab a butcher's knife through my guts!.She almost DID, too, no thanks to you guys!!"

He let out a huff after that and crossed his arms crossly.

He wasn't exactly the best one to carry on conversations with things he couldn't see. Or things he COULD see, for that matter.

But the Stars were listening. They always were. But it didn't always mean they could actually do something about it.

~~~~~~~~~~

The weltering heat of the sun was clear and present, and it beat down relentlessly on her head as she wandered through this barren wasteland.

Her footsteps were plastered all over the ground behind her, and they created a wavy shape- indicating she had been walking in a dizzy state. When one was dehydrated, tired, confused, and stuck in the middle of nowhere, it was hard to walk straight.

She was in the middle of the Choco Dessert, located on the western edge of Yoshi's Island.

She muttered to herself as she paced onward.

"Like.I KNOW my name is Sandy, but.This is, like, TOTALLY ridiculous!"

Sandy was a sunshine-yellow colored Yoshi.

She'd been good friends with the gang since the beginning when they were kids and had saved the Super happy Tree.

She was a bright and cheerful girl who always looked at the up side of things. But when she was depressed, you knew it.

It was funny, actually- Whenever Sandy was overjoyed, it made everyone around her feel good. But when she was sad, all of her friends seemed to get depressed, too.

And right now, she was pretty upset. If there were any two things Sandy didn't like, they were being all by herself and walking long distances.

Considering she was under both circumstances, she was in no mood for smiling.

Her normally glowing eyes were half open and bloodshot, and her arms drooped in front of her, and her legs dragged across the sand.

Of course, she had questioned how she had gotten here at first, like all the others, but couldn't really think at all in her current state of mind.

She had no idea who was watching her and what they were about to do as a tall figure loomed over her in the vast wastelands of the Choco Dessert.

Her day hadn't been too happy- and it wasn't about to get any better, either.

~~~~~~~~~~

The thick, beautiful growth of this lush forest enchanted her somehow, although she was frightened and alone.

The pungent smells of flowers were clear and present, and her nose would sniff ecstatically here and there, catching a scent it liked. But what she really wanted right now was an explanation as to how she wound up here. She knew she had never been here before, and that was certain.

Her body gracefully paced through this garden of sorts, but she was cautious not to touch anything, because most of it didn't look friendly.

Being a plant lover, she loved this atmosphere, but she didn't relish the fact that she was alone. She hated being alone, no matter where she was. Ironic, as she tended to be a shy hermit when she actually WAS around other people.

She let out a deep and longing sigh as her eyes fell to the grassy ground beneath her. Her delicate feet brushed against the ground softly in rhythm with each other, and she couldn't help but worry about what was happening.

Her name was Ivy- quite appropriate for her tastes in vegetation.

She could tell you which plants were safe to touch, and which ones weren't. Which ones had edible fruits, and which ones didn't. But getting her to talk was the hard part.

Unlike most of the 'gang' Yoshi seemed to lead, Ivy had not been around since the beginning. She had moved into Yoshina Village from her hometown not far across the ocean just a few years ago, so she was relatively new. But this didn't mean that people didn't like her.

Once she arrived, she was accepted quite quickly, as Yoshi and his pals made friends fast.

She was probably most closely attached to Sandy, however, and it was Sandy alone at this point that she felt completely comfortable talking with.

Her dark, pine green skin blended in perfectly with her environs, which was good- she didn't know what lurked in the bushes three feet behind her.

Her elegant motions were finally noticed among the trees and shrubbery as a young fellow came out through a tick and thorny bush, grumbling to himself.

His grouchy muttering was cut short as he caught sight of the fair dark green before him, and his dull orange body froze in shock as he fumbled for words.

Ivy paused as well, her eyes wide and wonderous. She didn't know whether or not this was a friend or a foe, but...at least it was SOMEONE, she supposed.

Before she could formulate a sentence to utter, this stranger let words spill forth from his own lips.

"Oh!...Uh...Hi," he mumbled, breaking the ice with a toothpick.

"You're a new face...You from these parts?"

Ivy's stomach filled up with butterflies as she moved her lips, but words failed to come out.

The orange Yoshi before her let her off.

"Oh, geez! I'm really sorry!" he exclaimed, trying to relax.

"My name is Alahd. Nice to meet ya. And you are...-?" He stopped, awaiting a reply.

Shyly, she answered, "My name is Ivy...Umm...Nice to meet you, too..."

Her eyes wandered to the ground as she decided to ask him a question herself.

"Umm...Could you tell me where I am? I think I'm a little lost..." she muttered, blushing slightly. 'A little lost' was an understatement.

Alahd smiled and nodded his head.

"Sure! You're in the Pyrana Grove!" He paused a minute and glanced her down.

"Where are you from, anyway?"

She finally returned eye contact and told him, "I'm from Yoshina Village..."

His eyes widened.

"Yoshina?! Holy crap!"

He shook his head for a minute in deep thought.

"A LITTLE lost? Well, geez...I don't see how you could get a 'little lost' from Yoshina..."

She felt a lump form in her throat.

"..Why?" she uttered shakily.

Alahd's brows furrowed.

"Well...Yoshina's just about ten miles east of here, but...That way's blocked off by a series of steep mountains. Either you were intentionally heading here that way, or...you traveled across this whole island!"

Ivy froze to ponder this. Suddenly she wasn't quite so calm about where she was. In the blink of an eye, she wanted to get back home.

~~~~~~~~~~

His eyes traveled from point A to point B over and over again. He couldn't decide which route to take.

The one worn, wooden sign on his right said, 'Mysteria City.' The other to his left read, 'Tunnel of the Wise Zooper.'

He mumbled to himself about it for a few minutes.

Similar to Cruiser, he was a figure who could get easily drawn into something he enjoyed, and although he wouldn't mind getting back home, he had been waiting his whole life to come to this place.

And now he couldn't decide which to visit first. His black skin absorbed the sunlight well as he scratched his chin.

His name was Shadow, but everyone called him Shade.

Right from an egg he'd gone exploring. Yoshi and his baby companions had retrieved his newborn body within the depths of a cave that rested at the east side of the isle. Once they had found him, his black spotted shell was broken off.

Since then, he had lived as a loyal civilian of Yoshina Village.

Shade loved to learn, and he loved to explore his environs. He was a young man of science and observation. Reasoning and knowledge. His idea of a day well spent was to go spellunking and see what kinds of things he could find.

His dream was to someday be a great archeaologist like the great Kolorado Kornelyous, one of the most famous Koopa Troopas of his day. Kolorado was an avid adventurer, and Shade wanted to be a daring soul like him when he was old enough.

But there was always a time to start, now wasn't there?

His eyes scanned both paths, and he noticed that the one to his right was worn and commonly passed.

But the other one looked like it could use a little more trailblazing.

He nodded and said to himself,

"Two roads diverged in a wood, And I- I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."

And with that, he sucked in a breath of fresh air, and let his feet do all the talking from that point onward.

~~~~~~~~~~

~*~*~*~*~*
Your World, my World...What''''s the difference? There is none. Our worlds are all connected by the same sky...The same Destiny...It''''''''s beginning...A War...But when the time comes, whose side will you be on? And whose side will Fate favor?
Only time will tell...Time is of the essence...Your Quest for Destiny is underway, my friend...But will you find the path that suits you within the chaos of War...?

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 12:39:33 PM »
AHEM! Don't mean to double-post, etc., but I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone is reading this? I don't care whether you have a compliment or a criticizm, all that matters is that people give a Goomba about this story and are reading it. I have Chapters 1-25 all ready to go, but if nobody's READING...Well, I'll be a little more patient, then, OK?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 01:28:46 PM »
I'm reading it.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2003, 11:02:31 AM »
Wow. I wait two months and get 'I'm reading it.'

Now do you realize why I have not been posting here?

Maybe if people visited thsi forum a little more often and posted posts with semi-meaning, I'd bother to put my fic up.

If you really ARE reading it, I'm up to Chapter 30.

Go to Fanfiction.net (I have the link to my fic above) to read more.

~*~*~*~*~*
Your World, my World...What''s the difference? There is none. Our worlds are all connected by the same sky...The same Destiny...It''s beginning...A War...But when the time comes, whose side will you be on? And whose side will Fate favor?

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003, 01:27:25 PM »
WOW! People! Why aren't you reading this. This is a great story. I just read up to Chapter 33 and I want to read more. I liked how you kinda split everyone up after the Melee battle was over. It gives it like I don't want to stop reading cause I have to find out what goings to happen feeling. When do you plan on posting your next chapter up on fanfiction.net???

A Bob-Ombs Life Is Short And Explosive.

Edited by - Double Dash!!! on 12/23/2003 12:11:15 PM
I like jumping through pictures, vaccuuming ghosts and running around squirting stuff with a water pump.

Print