Print

Author Topic: A Compelling Article  (Read 25732 times)

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »
I was very disappointed in the E3 2008 conference when I saw it too.  I'm sad that Nintendo is turning their back on hardcore gamers like us who have been with them for a very long time and focusing their attention on casual, "oh I'll just play the wii a little bit after dinner" gamers.  From Turtlekids link it's true that it is wrong to call people casual gamers as an insult but casual gamers 'do' hurt the gaming industry.  Not in a way that will make them lose money, but in a way that will create a decline in good, "hardcore" games such as Mario, sonic, Pikmin, Rayman (not raving rabbids), Donkey Kong, WoW, and whatever else have you.  And it will increase stupid games like Wii Fit and Wii Music and whatever.  So in my opinion, I dislike casual gamers, I will always dislike them and I think that there should be little or none of them at all.  Either you start playing hardcore games and become a harcore gamer, or your not a gamer.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
It's harsh, and I've been trying to come up with a word for this so the impact isn't as severe (and it can apply to other topics as well), but the whole thing is very similar to the illegal immigration debate. Hispanics aren't entering America so they can transform it into Mexico 2; that just happens to be an unsettlingly possible side-effect of a bunch of people simultaneuously wanting the same thing. Same with "causals"; it's not like they're all going, "oh, man, I can't wait until all everything's Wii Fit and Brain Age! I'm going to intentionally get everyone I know to start playing simple, cheap games! That'll show those 'hardcore gamers!'". They just want to have fun, but that unfortunately has the side-effect of transforming Nintendo (and, slowly, the rest of the gaming industry) into what it is now. It's not them--it's me.

Also, it is not an opinion, but a solid fact that everybody who saw the E3 Nintendo conference was let down. A fact. The minute you drive to E3 to watch it live or get on G4/1UP.com to see a feed, you're pretty much officially a gamer. Not a "casual". A gamer. Like us. And, if so, you probably aren't incredibly psyched for frisbee-throwing in Wii Sports Resort or exuberant flute-playing in a field of flowers in Wii Music. Which makes the whole thing a million times more idiotic, because what was the point of having Cammie Dunway (or whatever that ditz's name was--anyone who reminds me of my second-grade teacher should not be in charge of trying to make me like videogames) talk about huge smiles and snowboarding accidents to people's moms if everybody watching the god-dang thing obviously was not even into that stuff!? And then, as in the link I posted above, Miyamoto says E3 shouldn't be for showing "core" games. Double-you-tee-eff.

I've been considering starting some sort of blog-type thing at some point about me owning only a Wii. At this point, I've decided it might be fun, in a sadistic, documentary-style way (like Supersize Me or one of those Japanese reality TV shows), to chronicle the life of a gamer trying to survive with nothing but a Wii (and a DS).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »
Try living with just a PS2 in this day and age. I had to go through that for a while.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 12:36:35 PM »
but the whole thing is very similar to the illegal immigration debate

Thats very true.

It's harsh, and I've been trying to come up with a word for this so the impact isn't as severe

Why try and come up with a nice word?  They enter the world of gaming so they have to hear what the current gamers think about them changing things around. 
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 12:59:02 PM »
Try living with just a PS2 in this day and age. I had to go through that for a while.
And you survivied?

It's harsh, and I've been trying to come up with a word for this so the impact isn't as severe (and it can apply to other topics as well), but the whole thing is very similar to the illegal immigration debate. Hispanics aren't entering America so they can transform it into Mexico 2; that just happens to be an unsettlingly possible side-effect of a bunch of people simultaneuously wanting the same thing. Same with "causals"; it's not like they're all going, "oh, man, I can't wait until all everything's Wii Fit and Brain Age! I'm going to intentionally get everyone I know to start playing simple, cheap games! That'll show those 'hardcore gamers!'". They just want to have fun, but that unfortunately has the side-effect of transforming Nintendo (and, slowly, the rest of the gaming industry) into what it is now. It's not them--it's me.

Also, it is not an opinion, but a solid fact that everybody who saw the E3 Nintendo conference was let down. A fact. The minute you drive to E3 to watch it live or get on G4/1UP.com to see a feed, you're pretty much officially a gamer. Not a "casual". A gamer. Like us. And, if so, you probably aren't incredibly psyched for frisbee-throwing in Wii Sports Resort or exuberant flute-playing in a field of flowers in Wii Music. Which makes the whole thing a million times more idiotic, because what was the point of having Cammie Dunway (or whatever that ditz's name was--anyone who reminds me of my second-grade teacher should not be in charge of trying to make me like videogames) talk about huge smiles and snowboarding accidents to people's moms if everybody watching the god-dang thing obviously was not even into that stuff!? And then, as in the link I posted above, Miyamoto says E3 shouldn't be for showing "core" games. Double-you-tee-eff.

http://www.theslackerz.com/index.php?Page=86 [Language warning] That is all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 01:02:47 PM by luigalaxy »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

What?  There are a lot of great Ps2 games!
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 04:12:50 PM »
Yeah, but playing Ratchet & Clank for the eleventeenth time gets boring after a while.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2008, 10:45:44 PM »
Actually, I think living with just a PS2 in this day and age is the best possible thing you can do. It's got all the qualities of the Wii (cheap, slim, and full of shovelware), but with more good games. Only thing is... bad graphics and load times.

http://www.theslackerz.com/index.php?Page=86 [Language warning] That is all.
I already posted that myself... somewhere around here (but thanks anyway).

Why try and come up with a nice word?  They enter the world of gaming so they have to hear what the current gamers think about them changing things around.
Hmm... true, true... Then again, "casuals" probably aren't going onto gamer forums and stuff like that (which, like I said, made the E3 conference all the more ridiculous. It's also the same reason it's painful to read Nintendo Power--and not just because it's so horribly composed).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:14 PM »
Looking at my PS2 shelf, that still might be the winning console now, except for the once-in-a-while awesome exclusive Nintendo gets.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »
Well, it's been around for... what, six, seven years? Just like the original PlayStation? If Sony's done one thing right, it's made consoles that will not die--for better or for worse.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
I'm simply referring to the amount of good games it has. But to be fair, Gamecube had a good amount of awesome games that PS2 didn't have (Baten Kaitos, Odama, Ikaruga...)
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
I'm simply referring to the amount of good games it has.
Well, so was I--the longevity was just another thing I was factoring in.

And if you're going to tick off a few great games the GCN had that the PS2 doesn't... Odama? Baten Kaitos and Ikaruga, maybe, but... man, I know those were just passing examples, but...

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2008, 12:08:14 AM »
Odama is one of the most weirdly awesome games ever made!
That was a joke.

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »
Lol all the dudes being emos because there is no new zelda
Don't use real life to avoid videogames, it is not healthy to escape from problems.

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2008, 04:43:59 AM »
Lol all the dudes being emos because there is no new zelda
In this thread or what?

Print