Print

Author Topic: Worst ways to die in a video game.  (Read 50511 times)

« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »
One of the absolute worst ways of dying is--listen up, now; this seriously is a really bad way of dying, probably the absolute worst ever--if you get to the last boss, beat the last boss, complete the game...

... and the ending is just a Game Over screen.  Congrats.  You just... died.  What.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2007, 09:36:38 AM »
Aw, man, this brings back so many traumatic memories...
every

Jman

• Score
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2007, 06:09:33 PM »
One of the absolute worst ways of dying is--listen up, now; this seriously is a really bad way of dying, probably the absolute worst ever--if you get to the last boss, beat the last boss, complete the game...

... and the ending is just a Game Over screen.  Congrats.  You just... died.  What.

NO!!!!!  No!!!!!!!!  Die!  Die!  Stupid game!  That's 5 years of my life I'll never have back!!  *throws game into the fireplace.*
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2007, 07:57:24 AM »
I skimmed the whole thread, but I don't remember if this was mentioned:
Seeing a Redead suck away Link's last hearts on OoT.  Pretty gruesome way for the Hero of Time to die, wouldn't you say?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2007, 07:18:38 PM »
How about beating an Iron Knuckle in Adventure of Link, leaving you with JUST enough health to survive, then getting killed by a Blob? Maybe not the worst way, but it actually happened, so there you go.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2007, 12:31:33 AM »
That reminds me, back when I wasn't astoundingly good at Metroid Prime 2, I narrowly beat the very difficult Spider [Ball] Guardian. Unfortunately, all the energy it left behind was too far away to get to in time... I went into the small chamber, got my new power up, left, and just as I came out, BAM! Killed by a lowly pillbug. I was angry, especially since there are no save stations near this boss, meaning I had to go waaaaaay back for the third time. Fourth time was the charm, however.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2007, 07:45:05 AM »
Oh, god, I hate the Spider Ball Guardian. Call me quitter, but I just gave up after the nth time of virtual egg balancing in the last stage.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2007, 07:51:26 AM »
BTW, the redead thing, that never happened to me, but it's bound to have happened to at least a few people.  I've had them....um....suck....the life out of Link, but he had enough hearts that he didn't die from it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2007, 09:05:59 AM »
You've never experienced real frustration until you've played the mission "Wrong Side of the Tracks" in GTA: San Andreas. Here's a note to game developers thinking of using a similar style of mission: never, ever leave shooting nigh-invincible enemies up to anyone but the player.
every

« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2007, 02:54:22 PM »
Haha, that very mission has caused me to quit GTA:SA three times.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »
Oh, man, don't get me started on Metroid Fusion. If I had a dollar for every time I wasn't startled by a sudden blast of ominous music, I'd have, like, six dollars.
I remember when I got to the part where the power shut off and I got to the frozen Ridley. (that IS his name right?) Then it's eyes flashed, but then it got killed by an X. I then got to a save point and shut of the game.

And there was many other times where you meet the SA-X, and I just freak out and stuff, especially when it chases you. But what I didn't understand is why it saved you at the end of the game...

That was a long time ago...

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »
Because it wanted to defeat the Omega Metroid, and "saving" you like that was the only way it could be done.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »
That version of Ridley was lame, for two reasons: one, it means that the real Ridley is dead (he was frozen, then smashed into little pieces, like that liquid metal Terminator), and that the last fight with him is this doofy-looking blue version with an ear-shredding scream. Now, assuming the next Metroid game isn't a prequel, spinoff or whatever (i.e., it isn't Metroid Prime Pinball 4), that means that the only way you'll get to fight Ridley is through some MGS-style plot twist revealing that he's a clone, or the one that was frozen was a fake Ridley, or that he's secretly Samus' mom (making him secretly a lady Ridley, which calls into question the existence of a male Ridley).
every

« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2007, 06:53:58 PM »
Funny how you're complaining about Ridley dying in Metroid 4, when I killed him in Metroid 1, Prime, and 3.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
Figures that no matter how many times you kill main boss in a Video Game, it always comes back to life.

Print