Print

Author Topic: Weegee!  (Read 44586 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »
Telling that to a guy who shares the name of Krypton's giant red sun doesn't make sense, anyway...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »
Yikes! Well, I guess I'm being a little hypocritical here. I told Rao to ignore memes, so I suppose I should just ignore his ranting.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2009, 03:00:38 PM »
Memes are the death of humor. They used work like this:

Person 1: (does funny thing, regardless of intent)
Person 2: That's funny! I'll go tell Person 3!
Person 3: That IS funny! I'll go post it on 4chan!
(a couple weeks later)
Person 1295: Hey, check this funny thing out.
Person 1: I started that, y'know.
Person 1295: Nuh-uh. It was on a YouTube poop.

Except now they work like this:

Person 1: (does funny thing and then posts it 50 times in a row on YTMND and 4chan in the hopes of it becoming a meme)
every

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »
I WILL NOT CHILL!!!

...The above was, in all seriousness, not serious. It was semi-sarcastic.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:51 PM »
Memes are the death of humor. They used work like this:

Person 1: (does funny thing, regardless of intent)
Person 2: That's funny! I'll go tell Person 3!
Person 3: That IS funny! I'll go post it on 4chan!
(a couple weeks later)
Person 1295: Hey, check this funny thing out.
Person 1: I started that, y'know.
Person 1295: Nuh-uh. It was on a YouTube poop.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »
I WILL NOT CHILL!!!
I just know that I've heard that from somewhere before...

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2009, 06:06:21 PM »

That's is the only meme that I like. Oh, I also like the "YO DAWG" one.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:39 PM »
Isn't that TEM's dog?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
I'm sorry, but Advice Dog is just about the farthest you can get from an accurate representation of internet memes. I would  personally elect Richard C. Mongler as the ambassador of memes everywhere throughout the internets.

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2009, 07:11:28 PM »
Internet memes, I'm sad to inform you, suck. I don't mean to offend anyone but they're for people with nothing better to do on the Internet than be stupid and claim that they're olo being so random lol. And the worst part is that they never die because an endless stream of ten-year-olds continuously discovers that there's more on the Internet than the site their science teacher sent them to. And of COURSE All Your Base Are Belong To Us is going to be funny the first time you find out about it. But what do they know--they're going to quote it thinking it's still funny and new to everyone.

YouTube Poop is in a slightly different league in that it's even worse than any meme alone.

YTMND fads are different because they don't often escape YTMND if they were started there.

Boy I was worried when I was told Oompa Lucas had become a meme. Thankfully that seems to be untrue. Don't none of you heartless jerks change that or I'll kick you out of the Kool Kids' Klub.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2009, 07:20:28 PM »
A winner is you!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »
No offense, but you're not very good at not offending people. Many people find memes genuinely funny when done right, and aren't too concerned with whether other people find them funny or not. Inconsiderate, perhaps, but consideration cuts both ways. Memes can certainly be abused, but so can butter knives and glass and pieces of cloth and positions of authority and the heart of a woman.

Even when they're not funny, memes can foster some twisted sense of community on the internet. It's part of the continuation of the way the world has been shrinking through shared experience ever since mass media were first invented. It's messy, but it probably tends to do more good than harm, ultimately.

Hmph!
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2009, 07:58:10 PM »
You failed to counter my claim that they're annoying as Hell.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »
Meh; I'm all for just enjoying them for what they're worth. But agreed, Youtube Poop is sickeningly immature. Bleh.

What I find truly upsetting is the emergence of memetics into everyday culture. If anyone else here can even vaguely recall Epic Movie, Date Movie or Meet the Spartans, a) you get a cookie, and b) you should be able to see my point. As the films' cultural references fade from significance, so do the laughs. In the case of Spartans, the movie's entire premise revolved around the fact that a number of teenagers (including myself for a time) perceived a line or two to be funny. And thus the film was an undeserving success.

Just wait five years and show Epic/Date/Scary Movie to someone who's hardly seen a single film released before 2012. As with any other example of meme-based humour, the movie wouldn't be able to crack a smile. A meme is entirely contextual, and often can't be appreciated by those with no connection to its source. Hence, Weegee is to me as Advice Dog is to Rao. As crosseyed7 eloquently stated while I was composing this message, memes can indeed create "community" of sorts, or at least a sorority that one can identify with.

Whether a meme is annoying is entirely opinion. Rejecting anything popular culture throws your way signifies a desire to feel "above" the mainstream culture, at least if interpreted in such a Fruedian sense.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »
Hey now. Don't confuse the two lineages of spoof movies.

The Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer productions (Date Movie, Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, Disaster Movie) are truly horrible excretions that rely only on (bad) parodies of very recent celebrities/events/movies. Nothing resembling humor can be found in these movies, no matter how hard you look or how much you drink.

The Zucker/Mazin line (Scary Movie 3/4, Superhero Movie, American Carol) can stand alone much better and achieve actual funniness at various points.

Print