Print

Author Topic: Manners and morality  (Read 4228 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« on: May 04, 2008, 04:56:22 PM »
I want to talk about manners. I want to talk about morality.

I believe in both; I think that human advancement is impossible without morality. I think that society could never have even existed without morality. And manners? Why NOT use them? Many a time I've gone without a "thank you" or a "please", and it would've made all the difference. I also believe that morality can be taken too far, or out of context. This is when PETA starts to attack horse-drawn carriages and a feminist starts to believe that women deserve MORE rights than men. Its cases like these that lead me to believe that some use morality as a tool for their own personal benefit, rather than for using it for the benefit of others, which is the idea behind morality.

Let's approach this intelligently and mannerly.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 05:01:17 PM by Ambulance Y »
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 06:01:17 PM »
This is an interesting view that I can wholly agree with.

Without manners, it's easy to enrage some more belligerent characters, and progress is not made by the enraged. Rage can fuel determination, but not a determination for good. That's a bit of a tangent, there, but manners can get you far in life (here comes a tangent anecdote). People sometimes comment that I am "too polite," sometimes with less tasteful words between "too" and "polite," but I have never been in a fight in my life, even though there are some people I've known that could drive me to doing so. I'm confident that by clinging to good manners, I've helped calm and even amuse others, while at the same time opening doors for myself.

Note that attacking a horse-drawn carriage is not good manners.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
This isn't necessarily my opinion (in fact it isn't), but what would you say to the idea of "nice guys finish last"?
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:20:11 PM »
It has a bit of truth and a bit of inconsideration.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:29:48 PM »
It's true in a way because nice guys will put others before themselves, thus finishing last.  If it means that they will be worse off than un-nice guys, it most definitely not true.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
My thoughts on the nice guys finish last deal are the similar to Chupperson's. In normal cases they can only be said to finish last on the most obvious and, usually, most trivial level.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »
My thoughts on Nice Guys Finish Last is that Green Day is waaay past their prime.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Print