Print

Author Topic: The homeless  (Read 18012 times)

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 11:37:46 AM »
It's hard to get a job with no residence or driver's license or place to shower.

Or when their families abandon or abuse them when they are young, so they are forced out on the streets, or when there is no help available to those who are hopelessly lost in drug and or alcohol addiction.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 12:31:30 PM »
One of my friends found a homeless guy sleeping on his front lawn.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »
I don't know if this person is homeless, but they are certainly pretty strange.

Every summer down on the beach, he walks all the way up and all the way down the shore, flaunting himself. He has a rainbow colored beard and rainbow colored hair, and usually wears a dress and high heels and carries a purse. Sometimes he wears a festive hat. One year he had a little dog with him that also had a rainbow colored dye job on it's fur collar and cuffs. We don't know where he lives, which leads me to believe he's homeless. Sometimes people try to take pictures with him. He gladly obliges. I really don't know who he is or what his deal is, and I probably never will.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 03:30:00 PM »
It's hard to get a job with no residence or driver's license or place to shower.
You don't have to have a driver's license- you can just go down to the DMV and get an ID card.
As for having a place to live/shower, they can tell the employer that they will be able to get a place after they are hired. I'm sure someone would be nice enough to hire them.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who isn't even trying to get a job or something. Also, alot of "homeless" people are fakes. They just pretend to be homeless, and use the change people give them to buy drugs or alcohol. So, I never give them anything.
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
I don't understand why so many people are homeless. Why don't they just get off their butts and get a job?
-Bad homelife when they were younger and/or made some bad choices
-Circumstances are stacked against them
-Just plain lazy
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
There's this one guy, pretty standard, claims he was in a veteran in Vietnam. Funny thing is, he claims he's "stranded" on the curb near Wal-Mart that he stands at, despite the fact he only appears there on weekends.

There's also an elderly guy who stands out by a Chinese restaurant right near where I live and makes hand gestures at passing cars. Usually he waves, but he's been known to make the hitchhiking sign, and flip people off. I haven't seen him in a few months, and I'm a little worried; he's like family to me, even though I've never spoken to him and am afraid of him.

This one guy sleeps in the parking lots of various nearby fast food joints; he rotates between Wendy's, Burger King and Taco Bell, since they're all really close to each other. I once saw him making out with a lady outside Burger King, using nearby cars for support, which is awesome. Another time he was dancing to what I think was "The Brainwasher" by Daft Punk outside Taco Bell, which is even awesomer (I was very tempted to dance along with him).
every

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:02:58 PM »
There's this homeless guy who lives on the roof of Walgreens.

On the subject of the homeless, I have a very interesting story to tell, but it might offend some.
EDIT: I'll tell it anyways. Back when I was in D.C. with some friends as part of a school-sponsored field trip, we decided it would be fun to shine a laser pointer from our hotel room on the homeless outside our hotel late at night. It was funny for about 15 minutes, but we decided to stop. About 5 minutes later, we start again, because there's this drunk homeless woman outside. We keep shining it for another 10 minutes, then we see a homeless guy take out a camera and take a picture. About 45 minutes later, security shows up to our room, and confiscates the laser pointer.

And that was the epic tale of our laser pointer shenanigens.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:07:35 PM by CrzyFlmngMnkyHead »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:59 PM »
About 45 minutes later, security shows up to our room, and confiscates the laser pointer.

Ooh, son! They got security on you!

Are you sure that drunk homeless woman wasn't a zombie? (five spacebucks to whoever gets the reference)
every

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 10:27:50 PM »
Uh, well, the "queens" in Dead Rising kind of look like laser dots on zombies. Plus someone's taking a picture of it!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 09:22:52 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen a homeless guy once, and it was through a car window.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 10:14:14 AM »
You must be very sheltered, or live in a really nice neighborhood.
every

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »
In my very small semi-town, I have never seen a homeless. However, My full town is made up 3 small towns/villages. They are New Hampton, Slate Hill and Sterling Forest. Plus, I can easily walk/ride my bike down to a city. I hope I see one once.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
Is "homeless" a noun now? What's going on here?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 04:41:53 PM »
Or when it's literally against the law to live anywhere because you got put on the sex offender list for urinating in public. And good luck even getting a job with a felony on your record. Wonder why so many criminals commit more crimes? Because the law prevents them from EVER being re-instituted into society. Ever.

Also mental illness has a lot to do with it.

As for this thread, I just got to Hartford a week ago and I already saw Harmonica Man. He stands outside the McDonald's across the street and plays harmonica. There's supposedly another one who plays saxophone... which makes me wonder how a homeless man can afford a saxophone.
~I.S.~

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 10:35:59 PM »
He probably had the saxophone before he was homeless. But how does he afford a steady supply of reeds? The world is full of mystery.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Print