Poll

What are your views on homosexuals and/or letting them wed?

I accept them.
51 (66.2%)
I tolerate them.
6 (7.8%)
It's flat out wrong.
7 (9.1%)
I don't really care.
9 (11.7%)
I have mixed views. (Describe)
4 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Print

Author Topic: Homosexuality and Same-Sex Marriage  (Read 201242 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2009, 10:52:46 AM »
Meaning the church has the right to deny marriage to homosexual couples, and the state has no right to intervene in that decision.  The government shouldn't have to get involved.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2009, 11:47:31 AM »
You're still confused. Marriage is not a church-only deal.
That was a joke.

« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
You're still confused. Marriage is not a church-only deal.

It should be.

As a Christian, I stand by the following statement: "Love the sinner, hate the sin". As such, we have an obligation to sincerely accept everyone around us while still acknowledging that all sin is equally wrong, and is never to be "given in" to. Society has been sliding down a slippery, leftward-leaning slope on this particular issue over the last fortysomething years. Not to sound entirely pessimistic towards the state of humanity's affairs, but it's become apparent that every issue to become tolerated by society (ie. same-sex marriage, abortion), opens the door for another, more extreme issue to rear its ugly head before mankind. For instance, just wait until these guys get their way.

Anyways, this picture seems relatively topical. Note that the second-last "scenario" in the below diagram is indeed a lame hentai joke, but, otherwise... yeah. It speaks for itself:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:13:56 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
As a Christian, I stand by the following statement: "Love the sinner, hate the sin".
There's not really anywhere in the Bible that says homosexuality is a sin.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »
Quote from: Leviticus 18:25
Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.

« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »
Tenjewberrymud for the Biblical backup, Turtlekid.

« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »
Turtlekid1, Leviticus also says not to eat shellfish and/or pork...do you take that seriously?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »
Not eating shellfish or pork is more part of Judaism (as with the rest of Leviticus); it doesn't apply to Christian believers, as Jesus and Paul said.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2009, 02:04:11 PM »
Turtlekid1, Leviticus also says not to eat shellfish and/or pork...do you take that seriously?

The difference being that God specifically told Peter to do otherwise later on.

« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
Conveniently enough, it seems that Jesus himself made no specific reference to homosexuality during his ministry. Now, before anyone twists that factoid into a green light signal for gay marriage, keep in mind that Jesus never mentioned rape, pedophilia or necrophilia either.

« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2009, 02:39:51 PM »
During the time the Bible was written, people's understanding of the world was primitive. The only reason that "spilling a seed" was condemned because they did not know of eggs and ovulation, believing that the man's semen was the child in of itself. Masturbation was conclusively murder. They also lived in a time where their numbers were scarce and preventing the population from growing was treason. From a pamphlet I once read about homosexuality and the Bible:

"The Biblical authors knew nothing of homosexual orientation as we understand it, and therefore said nothing to condemn or approve it."
He also says the Biblical authors believed the earth was flat and the sun moved up and down.

"There is a growing body of evidence from science, psychology, history, psychiatry, medicine, and personal experience that leads to a clear verdict: Homosexuality is neither a sickness nor a sin. Unfortunately, the church has always been slow, if not the last institution on earth, to accept new truth."

We cannot depend solely on the Bible, which we all know is thousands of years outdated, to strictly run our lives. It can be used as guidance, like "love your neighbor," "give thanks to your parents," simple stuff like that. But our understanding of the world has grown so much now; the customs developed then can't always apply to us. I have a Jewish friend who, once on Passover, ate a muffin sandwich with eggs and bacon. ("Triple whammy!" he said) He told me that pigs are not considered kosher because they were dirty and thus diseased. Meat and dairy shouldn't be eaten together because the animal cannot digest in its mother's milk. But given the way food's processed nowadays, he said, there is little chance of disease from pig meat and that the carton of milk you're drinking is most likely not related the steak you're eating. We also consider pedophilia and necrophilia taboo as well, even though it isn't mentioned in the Bible. And the difference between homosexuality and rape is that there is no love in rape and it could very well be a threat to the victim's life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2009, 02:42:18 PM »
Science, psychology, history, psychiatry, medicine, and personal experience don't determine whether something is sinful.

« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »
Way to copy and paste and not read the rest of the post.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »
Definite "sin". One person's morals may not be the same as another's.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2009, 02:55:55 PM »
People don't determine morals in much the same way that science doesn't determine sin.

Also, I did read the rest of your post.  You were raising and "resolving" irrelevant issues that have nothing to do with the topic at hand.  And you'll excuse me if I don't accept a pamphlet as the authority on the authors of the Bible.

Print