Print

Author Topic: Mature Discussion (leave all joking at the door)  (Read 55222 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »
Isn't this being taken a tad seriously for a troll thread? Sure, the subject matter is heavy, but... yeah.

I would rather be flash-frozen and put into suspended animation like Walt Disney or Michael Jackson. I'd be thawed out in the year 2525 to see if Zager and Evans were right.

But really, I disagree not only with the initial proposal, but with the concept of euthenasia/"assisted suicide" in its entirety. No amount of pain can justify death.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:57:56 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
Should not a person have the right to end their life if they're in insufferable pain?

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 09:34:11 PM »
Well, there's the argument. I believe that there's a difference between letting nature "run its course" by pulling the plug and killing someone at their own request.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »
You can't really hold a desire to die if you're incapable of thought, nor can you hold a desire to live. So it's more of a desire not to be a burden on those you love in the event you should fall to this state. You're practically dead. You're still consuming resources so that your tissue can keep living without you, so it can keep being useless compared to a decomposing corpse. I wouldn't want that for my loved ones. I would just want them to remember me as I am now.

And, in the face of what I said earlier, I'd grant the requests of those who would also choose death. I wouldn't want to be in the room when they pulled the plug, no, but I'd attend the funeral after and try to forget about the end.

Those born into this state don't have the chance to express their desires though. It's the parents' decision. And usually it's to try and get their kid a normal life somehow. I'm not going to argue it.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 10:25:09 PM »
So anyone think sadib's idea might come to fruition someday? Like when we eventually run out of resources?

I foresee government funded junkyards where bodies are crushed into an edible form and sold to the public.

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 10:29:46 PM »
Isn't this being taken a tad seriously for a troll thread? Sure, the subject matter is heavy, but... yeah.

I would rather be flash-frozen and put into suspended animation like Walt Disney or Michael Jackson. I'd be thawed out in the year 2525 to see if Zager and Evans were right.

But really, I disagree not only with the initial proposal, but with the concept of euthenasia/"assisted suicide" in its entirety. No amount of pain can justify death.
You do realize that Walt Disney wasn't actually cryogenicly frozen? He's dead.

Abortion is actually worse than my idea. Think about it. Killing embryos (potential life) is way worse than killing the severely retarded (potential nothing).
Yay!

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 10:34:34 PM »
Aborted fetuses could be used for research aimed at curing the mentally retarded.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 11:22:54 PM »
I doubt the government will ever label or force death upon "burdens," let alone make them into food.
It's YOUR problem!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 12:05:56 AM »
While the idea isn't totally unfounded, I'm not willing to allow the government to decide that for us, as someone stated earlier. However, I think if the family wanted to, I think they should have the right to euthanise loved ones who are severely handicapped.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »
1. There's no possible way we actually run out of resources
2. Finding ways to enable people with no minds to gain them would be rad
3. Otherwise it sure is annoying and I would appreciate it if people wouldn't bring their offspring with no minds to groan in my store until said time at which they gain consciousness
P.S. Why don't we feed the unfathomable amounts of wasted corn and grain to the starving people first
That was a joke.

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:23 AM »
So anyone think sadib's idea might come to fruition someday? Like when we eventually run out of resources?

I foresee government funded junkyards where bodies are crushed into an edible form and sold to the public.

I hope none of you are taking this post too seriously.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 12:46:32 AM »
Emotionally, I understand why a family would put a vegetated loved one on life support, but it makes no sense from a financial perspective.   It's not like the patient's brain would eventually regain its former functionality.  If the family wants to keep the not dead, but not alive loved one, well, not dead, but not alive, then that is their decision, unless the loved one stated, before losing functionality of course, that they don't want to be on life support.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 01:12:39 AM »
As Chup said, there is that hope for a miraculous enlightenment in science or just a plain miracle. My Grandpa was down and out due to Alzheimer's for a long time, but regained his memory and self-awareness in full for the last two or three days of his life. Of course, I was three years old so I don't remember that...
It's YOUR problem!

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 01:22:07 AM »
This is all a matter of you putting yourself in someone else's shoes. People who don't play video games might say "Video games are just silly. It makes no sense from a financial standpoint to waste money on something that's not constructive. They shouldn't even make them anymore."
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 02:45:05 AM »
Isn't this being taken a tad seriously for a troll thread?
Leave all joking at the door.

It makes no sense from a financial standpoint to waste money on something that's not constructive.
It's called art, the by-product of civilization. Creating art is a little different than throwing money down a hole keeping a human husk "alive".

Print