Print

Author Topic: Racism as comedy  (Read 18868 times)

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« on: August 27, 2009, 01:19:31 AM »
Racism as comedy can take many forms, from just telling a racist joke to playing up stereotypes, and even pretending to hold racist beliefs. What are your views on it? Do you take part in comedic racism? Do you feel that people should be open-minded to the idea of comedic racism or do you feel that it's not an issue to be taken lightly?

I personally think comedic racism, while not always extremely offensive, is a form of lowbrow humor, and try not to indulge in it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 01:24:17 AM »
I'm trying to understand where this even came from. Are you doing some kind of social studies project?
That was a joke.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 02:15:00 AM »
No, I just know that a lot of people like to make light of racism in these and other ways, especially on the internet, and wanted to get the perspective of the people here just out of personal interest.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:37:03 AM »
I love racial humor as long as there isn't hate driving it. Example being Dave Chappelle vs. some racist white guys telling n***** jokes at a bar (not saying black people can't be racist).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »
It bothers me when people center their entire social gimmick around racial humor, and a lot of black kids I've befriended made a habit of this. After a while it starts to get under one's skin.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Completely agreed with TEM. For instance, I've just finished reading A Practical Guide to Racism, which jokingly attempts to bluntly define each of "the nine major races: Hispanics, Blacks, Whites, Jews, Asians, Arabs, Indians (which includes 'dem 'Injuns'), Gypsies and Merpeople". As long as it's not rooted in hateful sentiments, there's nothing inherenly wrong with racial humour.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »

As long as it's not trying to promote division, I'm fine with it. I don't think we'll be in a perfect racial utopia until we can comfortably joke about race. It does depend a lot on how your audience is going to take it. Furthermore, if you ever plan on going into politics, don't ever go anywhere near any joke with any element of race, because it will come back to bite you.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
That image would be perfect if you could make their heads bob rhythmically to a killer beat.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
Someone do that on Flash and post it to Newgrounds.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »
Someone do that on Flash and post it to YTMND.

FIXED

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 03:55:30 PM »
I am surprised 'leave jokes at the door' was not mentioned at all in here.  I laugh at many racist jokes. I am happy as long as hate is not behind the joke.

What do you call an elevator full of white people?

A box of crackers.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:00:42 PM »
Personally, yeah, as long as it isn't driven by hate or genuine racism, racial humor can be pretty hilarious.
every

CrossEyed7

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:38 PM »
To those who said they don't mind racism as comedy so far: where does it cross the line (or get close to crossing) for you? Do you feel the same way about the cartoons on Stormfront, or Encyclopedia Dramatica?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »
Yeah, see, ED's idea of "racial humor" is tossing around the word "******" like it's going out of style.
every

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:35 PM »
Comparing Stormfront to ED is like literally comparing neo-Nazis to racially-insensitive internet trolls. Anyone who doesn't think that every Stromfront member should be herded up and executed should be killed along with them, to put it lightly.

By the way, "racism as comedy" is entirely different from "racial humour" by definition.

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 06:38:13 PM »
I wasn't really comparing the two, I was just saying that the two sites both use the same types of "humor".

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 06:49:52 PM »
Except Stormfront encourages the mass genocide of certain races and ethnicities. ED simply makes light of their skin color.

As for the question at hand, it's only really funny when the person of said race makes the jokes, since they will most likely have had said experiences throughout their lives and they will connect with the audience far better than some white guy trying to go HURR MEXICANS AND BLACKS.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 09:01:15 PM »
Ralphie May has made a career out of making racist/insensitive jokes and I find him extremely hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:22:04 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 10:06:42 PM »
Ralphie May has made a career out of making racist/insensitive jokes and I find him extremely hilarious.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:08:42 PM by Weegee »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
Dang, this is definitely a hard topic to pick a side on... well, I've long thought that the acceptance of comedic racism is actually a good gauge for how much racism there is in society--as long as no one's going overboard or, as TEM said, going beyond a joke into mocking malice, not getting all uptight and offended at a racial quip indicates that at least one person has learned that it's okay to laugh at this or that culture or creed's idiosyncrasies and still not be a bigot. It's for this reason that I think Al Sharpton et al really do seem to actually bring black people down when they pick the pettiest of issues to complain about.

On a related note, I'm not sure if it's really a racist joke--perhaps the polar opposite, in fact--but that episode of South Park with the guy on Jeopardy posed with "People Who Annoy You" is perhaps one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 10:49:45 PM »

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
A) Cool vid

B) What is up with their stereo effect

C) Thanks for spoiling the best joke of it with your linktext

CrossEyed7

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 07:11:43 AM »
I'm going to start posting like this now.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 09:31:42 AM »
Whoa!

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2009, 01:46:06 PM »
Am I missing something here? Pineapple? "Linktext"?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »
"Pineapple" was the text which contained a link to the video, with said plant apparently pertaining to some joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
I don't think you're qualified to answer that, Brian.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
But I'm still right, right?

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »
I'm going to start posting like this now.

Wait, so that's invisible on the default, black forum scheme? Huh.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:40 PM »
Wait, so that's invisible on the default, black forum scheme? Huh.
On light grey posts. Dark grey ones are this color.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
CE7, reading your posts is the highlight of my day.

Sqrt2

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
I don't mind, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand... 
AA fanboy and proud!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
CE7, reading your posts is the highlight of my day.

OH [darn]WOW I ONLY JUST GOT THAT JOKE LIKE TWELVE SECONDS AGO. I feel dumb now.

Plus it can't really be gotten anymore.

NEVER FORGET.

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2009, 09:48:53 PM »
Is that emblem meant to represent some sort of neologism?

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2009, 11:14:50 PM »
As long as the jokes don't go too far, it's all good.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »
Is that emblem meant to represent some sort of neologism?
If by "neologism" you mean "homophobia" or "anti-rainbowism", then yes.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 01:36:14 PM »
Racist humor is funny as satire, not funny as just baseless stereotypes. For example, I was watching a newer Family Guy episode and the Griffins become Jewish, and Peter becomes a mega-Jew, basically pointing out certain things that Jews do, and this is supposed to be funny. It had no social merit, it was pointing out nothing other than "Jews do this, isn't that funny?" and it kind of sickened me. This is opposite of the work of Spike Lee or Dave Chappelle or Mark Twain even, who use racism to criticize racism.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »
Racist humor is always funny, no matter what. Building on that, offensive humor is always funny. I believe no one should be off limits. Blacks, whites, gays, asians, poor people, babies, etc...
Singling out a certain group and saying NO IT'S NOT OKAY is just stupid and doesn't accomplish anything. Censorship just sweeps dust under the rug, rather than confronting it. I'm not defending racism, however, I also think it's stupid to attack someone for being racist.
Like for example, I have no problem walking in with a slice of watermelon and breaking out into Blackface-speech yelling OH LAWDY LAWDY SHO IS DA GOODEST MELLON I EVAH SAW because I know that's not how I truly feel about Black people. Hell, I go to college where white students are the minority, and it doesn't bother me. I just appreciate humor in all its forms.

I think a good summation of my stance would be the classic line of "I'm not racist, I hate everybody." Just because I believe every group of people has some stereotype or traits that can be made fun of.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 07:53:28 PM »
That being said, the feelings of others should be respected first. As much as you're not serious about it, pulling off that Blackface routine in front of, say, an old woman whose children were killed in some KKK race-riot obviously wouldn't be tolerable.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2009, 09:59:31 PM »
Like for example, I have no problem walking in with a slice of watermelon and breaking out into Blackface-speech yelling OH LAWDY LAWDY SHO IS DA GOODEST MELLON I EVAH SAW
DO IT THEN
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »
I have one or two friends who are actual black dudes who aren't averse to doing something like that once in a while but I wouldn't do it myself and I think that's where your problems start, Meow.
Then again, they would only do it for the fact that such "comedy" exists is so terrible that it's funny in the first place.
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »
DO IT THEN

Actually it's an inside joke with my brother in law. We both love watermelon and during the summer at barbecues and stuff, if we have watermelon, it'll find its way into the conversation eventually. Of course, yes, like you said, respecting other people should come into it to. That's the thing about censorship. I know what's appropriate and what's not, and many of my friends/family with similar tastes in humor do the same. But if someone were to say "Shhh no that's offensive." without there anyone actually there to be offended, then it's just stupid.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if someone were to walk in on the majority of conversations I have with my friends we'd all be seen as massively racist. We all rag on one dude for being black, we all rag on another being Italian-ish, and I get messed with for being a drunken Irishman.

Best part is I get n-word priveleges, at least around my buddies.
every

« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »
Basically all of the humour within my social circles revolves around sex, racism, or any combination of the two. Ethnic stereotypes are not only perpetuated but reinforced at my school. With a cultural spectrum consisting of at least 75% Dutch-Canadian kids, a handful of Korean immigrants, 2.5 Black kids and a small assortment of students from other backgrounds, directly offending anyone isn't a huge concern. As of yet, I've only received two nipple-twisters from my peers as a result of unwarranted racial insensitivity.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
I personally think racism is very funny and awesome and we need more of it and it should be taught in schools.
every

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
I don't know if this is racist comedy or not but I can't stand anything from Tyler Perry.  Wether its "Meet the Browns" or "House of Payne" or even any of those Madea movies.  I absolutley think it is the most unfunny material I've ever seen.  It makes me think to myself, "How can black people watch this, and actually like it?"

If I were black I would be offended by Tyler Perry because in my eyes he is supposed to be representing Black America and in a way he is.  He's supposed to be poking fun at the everyday lives of Black America.  The black people I know dont act like the way those characters are at all.  I think Tyler Perry makes black people look stupid and should be stopped because thats not how it is at all.  Why don't people tell him to stop?  Do that many black people love Tyler Perry that much that his ratings are that good?
I only watch [adult swim]

CrossEyed7

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 02:45:58 PM »
I wish I was black so I could tell everyone Tyler Perry sucks and they'd listen.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »
superstarMASIAH pretty much said what I was afraid to. I admire Mr. Perry's drive, but I find it curious he's seemingly devoted a career to Eddie Murphy-esque cross-dressing plays/movies and borderline blaxploitation TV shows. Granted, there's that unwritten rule about people being able to get away with mocking their own race, but that doesn't mean I have to laugh at something just because a fat black guy is saying it (I refer here to the commercials for Meet the Browns).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 05:13:15 PM »
I will begin training my mind and body every day until I am in peak physicaly form. When this objective is finished, I will go into the quietest, most desolate place on Earth, and challenge Death himself to a fight. If he accepts, I shall take him down using every technique I have learned. When I emerge victorious, I will declare that Death do me but one favor:

Bring Richard Pryor back from the dead in exchange for the Wayans Brothers.
every

Print