Poll

Was Tom Bruso really in the Right?

Yeah
6 (85.7%)
No
1 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Print

Author Topic: EBM. He really should have thought.  (Read 8452 times)

« on: February 20, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
This topic is about the recent internet sensation Tom Bruso.

a little insight-
         Tom Bruso is a 67 year old (caucasian, male) who  was aboard Oakland Transit at approximatly 3:00 in the afternoon on Feb.15 where he proceeded to get into an altercation with another younger boardee who happened to be of African-American decent (aka. Tyrone).  A fight broke out between them, and to make a long story short he stood up to defend himself proceeding to whoop the other mans ***.

Personally I vote Yes.  He was defending himself, beyond the extent of his poorly chosen words.

If you haven't seen it yet.  Check it out, look for "Epic Beard Man"
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
:/
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 03:41:45 PM by superstarMASIAH »

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:48:13 PM »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
I don't think I'll ever get tired of watching it.  It's turning into a race thing all over the internet, and just  so something doesn't start here I think I should say that this is not why this video pleases me so much.

Coming from a family who has respected their elders like a religious following, I take pleasure in watching this loud mouthed thug get the crap beat out of him by somebody more than half his age.

Old people don't get enough respect these days and I see young people my age treat them like crap.  This guy obviously didn't want to start anything, the young guy is just too ignorant to realize that.  And hopefully he learned his lesson.  Case.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
Being the Slowpoke that I am, this is the first time I actually saw the video, but I've seen screenshots of when the boy punches him.

Gotta admit, the video made me laugh with how rowdy the 2 got and most people didn't even budge until Beard Man punched his nose off and made him cry.

Was it self-defense? Technically, yes. The guy was threatening to beat him up for some racially driven comments, and he was the first to throw a punch.

Was it justified? Well, if he had moved to the front seat and was trying to avoid conflict, it wouldn't even come to this. However, he was also instigating him from the front, and nothing was done until he broke his nose.

So I guess its just a toss-up.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
I'm going with what Wiggles said, though I still don't know the full story. It's okay if it's in self-defense. In most cases it's not okay to start a fight over race (or religion or orientation or...), as that won't end well. I was going to say "whoever started the fight deserves to lose the fight", but there's so many exceptions to that. It is definitely not okay to say "you can't hit that person, that person's (insert race, religion, whatever here)". If you use that excuse, that would give the person immunity to harrass anyone without repercussions. If it's not okay to hit said person regardless ("you wouldn't hit a person with glasses, would you?"), then you would have thought up of a better way to react.

Or just do what the military does and do it behind our backs, touting that it has to be done in the name of freedom.

What I want to say is that it's impossible to form any clearcut rules on who's in the right because there will be exceptions to each rule, and I don't feel like dancing around the issue. What I will say is that I think Tom was throwing a lot more punches than I think was necessary (maybe a few would have been enough), just judging from that GIF, so judging from the GIF I'd say he was wrong. He has a right to defend himself, but it looks like he overreacted. The younger guy was also wrong for throwing the first punch, but Tom was more wrong.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 01:58:42 PM »
People fight and that's what they do no matter how stupid and primitive it is.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 04:08:11 PM »
If you fought a burglar tooth and nail to protect your home and family, you'd be stupid and primitive?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
Really man, try to read the post you're reacting to before you make all these wild assumptions to try to make yourself look right.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »
I did.  It could be taken as "That guy that instigated the fight did a really stupid thing," which, looking back, is probably what it meant, or it could be taken as "All fighting is stupid and primitive."  The latter mindset is the one I was disagreeing with.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 08:30:24 PM »
Yeah, but .... yeah, why do I even try.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »
They're both idiots.

Bruso, as seen in some interviews, just seems to be a washed up old man who still tries to act like he's 16 years old and he's really not all there in the head.

The other guy, as seen in some interviews, is a suck up and totally turned off his gangsta persona during a radio interview to seem proper.

I don't see at all where the dude threw the first "punch". I'm not seeing a punch here; I'm seeing more like a quick swat to his chest, then Bruso tripped out on him. They're both idiots and the video shouldn't have gotten popular. It's exploded in popularity and it's fueling meme production like there's no tomorrow because no one else has come up with anything new lately.

(However, I do like the "subtitled" version similar to people coming up with English lyrics for the Brawl theme. "Amber Lamps" is my favorite.)
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »
Not to mention all the photoshop parody pictures.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 07:59:31 PM »
They both look like idiots fighting on a bus.

And I love how people try to make everything into a race thing.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 10:17:51 PM »
They both look like idiots fighting on a bus.

And I love how people try to make everything into a race thing.

Did you watch the video or did you just look at that gif?

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 11:21:35 PM »
I watched the entire video.
It could have been handled in a better way. The argument was stupid and it could have been squashed if both parties weren't trying to get in the last word. I know this from personal experience of looking back at my fights and seeing how stupid they were and how they could have been avoided.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:12:11 AM by Pt_Peach »
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 08:40:37 AM »
Tell me about it.....

I guess I'm different from most here.  Honestly, if its a fair fight, I love it.  There is some primative rise I get out of 2 grown men beating the crap out of each other to settle their differences. Or riots, I love riots.

Just this last weekend I was at this party at this girls house I just met.  Me and a crap load of my friends that I went to school with were there, so it was a pretty close-knit group.  Then she invited these guys she knew from college (people we didn't grow up with).  To make it even worse, these 3 guys were russian imigrants, 1 named Demitri (And yeah he was about just as big of a ******-bag as his name makes him sound).  And the other was a Marine, and the other I dont know too much about.

Anyways, my friend Lee was talking to Amy (she owns the house and threw the party).  So him and all three of those guys were hitting on Amy.  So them, being the badass' they were didn't realize where they were and started being mean to Lee, and I guess one of them pushed Amy or slapped her.  Lee stuck up for himself and her, then a fight goes on outside, this was with just 1 of them, the marine.  And even though Lee is scrawny guy, he was up against a marine and didn't do bad at all.  That guy was a disgrace to all marines.

Well that ends and they leave, but they keep calling Amy and saying they lost their cell phone.  We're looking for it and can't find it.  So eveything starts to settle down and everyones alright.  I'm sitting upstairs drinking a beer and watching COPS on her nice flat screen while everyones in the dining room playing cards.  She lives on a dead end road, so cars going by that late at night are kinda suspicious plus I was looking to see if anybody else was going to show up.  I look out her bay windows out into the street and I see that those guys were coming back for more, and with what I didn't know.  I could tell it was them because they drove a sub-compact euro peice of trash and I could distinguish that vehical more than any in the dark.

I yell out "They're back for more!!!!" and my friend Steve and I rush out of the front door to go confront them at their car.  We talked to them and all they wanted was they're cell phone, so I told them wait in their car, I'll go get it for them.  Everyones outside in a big group waiting to see what was going to happen.  I walk over to them and I hear the guys phone ringing in Lee's pocket.  I took it from him and turned around to go give it to the guy.  I turn around and the guy didn't listen to me, he fricken followed me wanting to start more trouble.  I'm like look, you got your phone, go home, your not from here, people dont know you like they know us.

Some words are exchanged and I'm in the middle of the group.  I know a big brawl is gonna happen because he obviously wasn't taking my advice.  So I stopped delaying the inevitable and said the most offensive thing I could think of to a drunken russian idiot and yelled out "**CK YOU.  YOU COMMI BASTERD."  And sure enough right after that, some punches were thrown, and oddly enough he didn't go for me, and I was the one who said it.  So yeah, us, against them, punchs thrown, fighting in the street.  The whole 9 yards.

What I'm trying to get at is even though I dont really enjoy boxing or UFC.  I love witnessing fights, instigating them, and fighting with a smile on my face.  Because thats just the kind of guy I am.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
I love fights as long as they don't end up with someone dead, but one thing I really don't like is how there's always one guy who tries to get attention by yeling "FIIIGHT FIIIIIIIGGGGHHHT" when everyone's already there.
every

Print