Print

Author Topic: What sport should Mario try next?  (Read 9409 times)

The Chef

• Super
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »
Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball, Hockey, Dodgeball. These are all the sports that have been made into Mario games. People often joke about Mario playing every sport under the sun, but if you had to pick, what sport would YOU like to see Mario play next? Feel free to elaborate on how such a game would work given the Mario twist. Here's some of mine:

Mario Bowling
Surprised this one hasn't been made already. I've always wanted to see a Mario Bowling game of some sort. They can introduce wacky lanes, wacky bowling balls and wacky power-ups to the mix. I recall there being other bowling games with similar premises such as Milo's Astro Lanes for the N64 and that one Animaniacs bowling game fro the PS1, so Mario doesn't seem like a bad fit.

Mario Gridiron
Another surprising one. They could probably get a western developer to make it, much like how Next Level made Mario Strikers. I'd imagine it being one of those less complicated arcadey football games like Play Action Football or Tecmo Super Bowl. Would also give them a good reason to bring back Chargin' Chuck.

Mario Handball
Handball is already kind of similar to tennis, so this shouldn't be hard to picture. Just have power-ups on the field and special targets on the wall. Plus, a bunch of Mario characters wear gloves already so they'd be used to it. :P

Mario Fishing
You might say fishing is too "realistic" or "boring" a sport for Mario, but one could easily say the same thing about golf and Mario has had more golf games than any other sport. You'd think they'd have made this by now considering how prevalent fishing mini-games are in Zelda as well as how much Japan seems to love fishing sims. There could be a mode where you catch real-world fish and another mode where you catch Mario baddies like Cheep Cheeps and Bloopers.

Bowser Big Battle Wrestling
OK, so Mario's not in this one. I figure Bowser would lend himself well to some sort of wrestling game. Preferably a wrestling game like SNK's King of the Monsters where all the competitors are massive and wreaking havoc on a defenseless landscape. Other playable characters could include Donkey Kong, Wart, Tatanga (in a Pagosu suit), Smithy, Midbus, and maybe Ganon as a guest character.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:21:24 PM »
OK, so Mario's not in this one. I figure Bowser would lend himself well to some sort of wrestling game. Preferably a wrestling game like SNK's King of the Monsters where all the competitors are massive and wreaking havoc on a defenseless landscape. Other playable characters could include Donkey Kong, Wart, Tatanga (in a Pagosu suit), Smithy, Midbus, and maybe Ganon as a guest character.
Better yet, just make it a giant monsters-equivalent to SSB and have all the big brutes from various Nintendo titles duke it out - make room for Ridley and Dedede.

A surfing game, maybe?  Seems like something could be done with that, but I'm not sure what, specifically.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:14 PM »
Mario Homoerotic Oil Wrestling
Peach doesn't appear in this one.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »
Dedede.

He's probably two feet tall, just sayin'

Ehh how about hockey

There could be a field set in the sky where everyone has a wing cap or something similar and the puck is a paratroopa shell

AIR HOCKEY
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:35:18 PM »
He's probably two feet tall, just sayin'

He's about as tall as Bowser in Brawl, is he not?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 02:36:31 PM »
Yeah, and Olimar is the same size as both Pikachu and Kirby even though he was stated to be an inch tall in Pikmin.

Also, BP:

Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, Volleyball, Hockey, Dodgeball. These are all the sports that have been made into Mario games.

It's already in Mario Sports Mix. :P

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Mario Homoerotic Oil Wrestling
Peach doesn't appear in this one.

This man would like to have a word with you.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:08 PM »
It's already in Mario Sports Mix. :P

no way
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
Dodgeball seems like an obvious choice, but a big, ridiculous pro-wrestling game would be tons of fun.  I say there's plenty of room for Mario!  He can be the Rey Mysterio to Bowser's Andre the Giant or DK's Hulk Hogan!
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »

:\

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »
Oh, I saw your initial post.  I just think it'd be a mistake to make a Mario sports game but not include core Mario characters.  If you're going to make a Mario wrestling game, it'd practically be criminal not to roll out (E-rated of course) WWE diva versions of Peach and Daisy (and Birdo... HA!).  Mario and the less brutish cast members deserve a shot at stardom in the ring, and their wrestling make-overs would be too fun to pass up. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:35:23 PM »
I've joked about American Football being a fun sport (I think it would feel like the "blitz" series, but more cartoony), and yes, chargin' chuck is required there.  Heck didn't they have a Super Mario Bros. Super Show episode with that?

Fishing could be great.  Imagine trying to catch one of those big insta-death sumo fish from SMB3.  I think that a big one should actually pull Mario into the water, so on top of trying to fight the fish with the line, you're now flying on rails trying to dodge spikes and other fish.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »
I know this is just a sorry excuse to make it into a shooter but Mario Paintball (with the paintballs being replaced by something a bit more Mario-ish) could be interesting.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
(with the paintballs being replaced by something a bit more Mario-ish)

Bullet Bills.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Or Bob-Ombs. Or a combination of both..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print