Print

Author Topic: New Mario Power-Ups  (Read 9135 times)

The Chef

• Super
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
I'm on a roll lately aren't I?

Power-ups, power-ups, power-ups. Mario's seen 'em all. He can shoot fire and ice, throw hammers, fly in like five or six different ways, protect himself from harm or turn indestructible outright. Surely you as Mario fans have had ideas for new power-ups at some point in your young lives. Here's a topic where you can post them.

As usual, here are mine:

Bob-Omb Mario
This is from the file select screen in Super Mario Land 2, where Mario would have to turn into a Bob-Omb to erase a file. I often wondered why they never made that an actual power-up. Were it up to me, I'd have it function similarly to the Blast Mask from Majora's Mask or Detonator Banjo from Banjo-Tooie, minus the health loss. Your main method of attack would be blowing yourself up. This would also be useful for destroying barriers. One another ability I'd throw in is for Mario to be loaded into a cannon and fired, perfect for hitting far away or very high targets.

Jetpack Mario
If there's one thing I liked about Super Mario Sunshine, it's the fact that the game gave you a hover ability in the form of the Hover Nozzle. 3D Platformers tend to benefit greatly from this as it eliminates a lot of the frustration involved in falling from a great height on those vertical levels. Thus, the Jetpack Suit would be next in the hierarchy of flight power-ups. Unlike FLUDD, this would be a regular power-up like the Super Leaf or Cape. It's very useful if you have it, but if you get hit you lose it. In addition, I'd also give this item it's own version of the Rocket Nozzle and Turbo Nozzle, and maybe even full-fledged flight. Said flight would operate like a slower, more precise Wing Cap, with the ability to do barrel rolls and loop-de-loops. Admit it, you know this would make an awesome power-up.

Leaf Mario
Tanookis are known for using leaves and are sometimes depicted as using them as weapons, such as in Pocky & Rocky. I figured Tanooki Mario should have leaf projectiles to differentiate it from the regular Raccoon Suit, but if not than I'd at least have some sort of Leaf Suit. Unlike Fire/Ice Balls the leaves would travel in a straight line but would fizzle out rather than continuing to the edge of the screen. In addition to defeating enemies the leaves would be able to transform blocks into other objects like coins, since they're typically depicted as having magical properties.

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »
I'm still waiting for closure on SMB3's Centaur Mario.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
In addition to defeating enemies the leaves would be able to transform blocks into other objects like coins, since they're typically depicted as having magical properties.

That's a good idea. Brick blocks (or non ?-Blocks) would become coins, ?-Blocks would become power ups etc..

Now, for my ideas..

Magic Mario
Weilds the Magic Wand from SMB3. When you use it, Mario shoots three O's across the screen. They travel in a straight line from Mario and can go through walls. You can use them to defeat 3 enemies (including Dry Bones/Bony Beetles and Thwomps, maybe) or one powerful enemy (Boom-Boom or Reznor [Rez obviously would still take several hits, seeing as there are four of them].
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 03:52:47 PM »
For the leaf Mario, to better differentiate it, before it fades away, make it arch down in a sideways L, and have a couple points where a tough enemy is just off the end of a platform where the leaves would be most useful.

Squirrel Mario - can climb walls, and slow his decent with gliding flaps.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:42:10 AM »
That's a good idea. Brick blocks (or non ?-Blocks) would become coins, ?-Blocks would become power ups etc..

Hmm, that seems very familiar actually. I can't quite put my finger on it, but didn't this happen when a Magikoopa destroyed a ? Block in Super Mario World or some other Mario game?
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »
The first part of Lemmy's Castle had nothing but | | blocks suspended over lava which nearby Magikoopas would turn into a variety of objects, usually Yellow Koopas.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »
That's pretty much always been Magikoopa's trademark ability. Kamek had it in both Yoshi's Island and NSMBWii.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 03:19:59 PM »
You're right. It happened first in SMW, then was done again later in YI and New SMBW. I'm sure it's happened in other games, but those are the three off the top of my head.

The ability to freeze time temporarliy (similarl to SMB2's stopwatches) would be neat, but I can't really think of a practical application for it (freeze the enemies at just the right time to jump across that pit that's just too big for Mario..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Magikoopa Mario, anyone?

A time-freezing ability would be neat, but very easy to abuse unless it was somehow restricted.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »
Make it kinda like the Tanooki statue, activate the time freeze and you have 4 secs or so. Then, for secret areas, make it so you have to time the freezes 2 or 3 in a row perfectly. Like, and really fast crushing ceiling, and you have to activate it again as soon as the first time ends. Or, if you want there to be a delay in how often you can use it, make the activation be something like down B, but you need to be at full run speed to make it through, meaning you would have to jump and activate it in the air to keep your momentum.

Just thoughts on the execution. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
Mario has never had any kind of lightning power, has he

Why
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 06:22:22 PM »
Luigi had Thunderhand, and anything Luigi touches automatically becomes sucky.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
How do you touch one of your abilities :I
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:02:09 PM »
You can touch my ability if you'd like.

BP

• Beside Pacific