Print

Author Topic: The AMBIVALENT Thread: Have Mixed Feelings Here!  (Read 31343 times)

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:29 AM »
It certainly did for me when I was in college. Eating less is no replacement for moving less, I'm afraid.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA00ZctGz50" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA00ZctGz50</a>
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2013, 02:39:23 PM »
I have no problem dealing with hunger. Yesterday I woke up at 2, had a quarter chicken (white) and fries (I know, I know...) for dinner, and stayed up for another 12 hours without eating anything more. Getting 2000 calories in me every day while avoiding carbs and sugar has become the hard part. Vegetables have next to none and lean meat only has so many, so what's a man to do?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »
Grading papers a couple days ago. One problem involves the salaries of two recently hired people (teaching arithmetic/geometric sequences). One of these people is named Neveah, which I personally consider to be the single worst semi-popular name ever created for either sex (and the fact that my spell-checker thinks it is misspelled, whereas, say, Steve is not makes me happy).

For what it's worth, there's exactly one issue I know of that I consider myself socially authoritarian on, and that's naming children. I'm sorry that you feel that your creativity is stifled by not being able to name your kid Ffffffteple'qweuioand-a, but you aren't the person who has to live with that name (for what it's worth, I think I'd rather be named Ffffffteple'qweuioand-a than Neveah, though).

Upon further inspection, I discover this person is not named Neveah, but rather "Navaeh" -- meaning that not only do they have the worst name in human history, they have an intentionally misspelled "special snowflake" variant of the worst name in human history, and that I've graded a couple dozen of these tests and spelled the name wrong on all of them. "Having excellent spelling" is pretty explicitly listed as an Important Thing in the company handbook for instructors.

I then realise that the word I've been misspelling this entire time is freaking "Navaeh" and I laugh and go "whatever, my handwriting is so bad most people can't tell my a's and e's apart anyways haha" and not a single [dukar] was given.

EDIT: As for losing weight, I discovered that since that one thing that happened to me a couple weeks ago where I almost died occurred I've not eaten a lot and my weight which had been steadily climbing is going back down again. Wait, now I just realised I never mentioned that one thing that happened to me a couple weeks ago where I almost died, I should probably do that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:18:25 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:27 PM »
It's racist to only use normal names.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TWt_9ARrg" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9TWt_9ARrg</a>

I wish I could find the complete section of the above video that goes into how names affect people's employment opportunities.  If you can find it, I highly suggest watching the whole video. 

Edit:  If you are an Amazon Prime member you can watch it for free:  http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics/dp/B0041RBNPE
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
For what it's worth I've heard that's a correlation/causation sort of thing, like iirc literally the only statistically significant factor in predicting how successful someone will be is how successful their parents are (land of opportunity lol), and the types of parents who give their children awful names tend to not be from the most successful families. On the other hand, I know firsthand that my mom's boss immediately bins all resumes with "ethnic" sounding names without reading them, so there might be a hint of truth to it, who knows.
~I.S.~

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »
I have a gay friend.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
Don't we all sometimes?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:19 PM »
My crush told me that he was gay, too. EDIT: My crush isn't a guy. She just knows him.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:10:10 PM by I am hello »
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
He doesn't tell that to the prettier gir--

BAD WEEGEE

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
Do you have mixed feelings about their gayness?  Does your crush's sexuality open up an opportunity, or erase one?

I miss the friends I made in college, and the convenience of hanging out when in college, but I don't miss being in college.  I didn't realize life after college entailed extra effort to find constructive things to do, and initiating hang outs with friends.  Before I could just sit in a classroom or club meeting and do all that.  Now I'm not limited to what's at school, but there's a whole world out there.  Not sure how I feel about that: excited, or wary.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
His parents are Catholic, so yeah.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
That's rough, man. You'll have other crushes though, hopefully ones with more accepting parents.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2013, 03:38:56 PM »
...My crush is a woman. I am not bi. EDIT: Actually I might be.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:13:13 PM by Tavros »
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Print