Print

Author Topic: Lost Levels  (Read 8796 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »

Jman

• Score
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 07:01:45 AM »
I still haven't beaten the original SMB. I'm on 8-3 right now on my 3DS. I'm using savestates, but only at the beginning of levels (except for one time right before the flagpole on 8-2, because I knew I was going to miss that jump on the staircase, and I did, and then I loaded state and got it on the second try).

Same boat.  I have never once beaten the original SMB.  I've beaten 2 and 3, but never the original.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:22 AM »
I'm so glad I'm not alone.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 12:08:27 PM »
I don't think most new Mario games are actually easier than most old ones (LL is downright sadistic though and will have you relying on level memorization akin to Ghosts 'n Goblins sometimes). They just have a stronger grasp on players' attention. You want to see if you unlock anything, you want to keep each level's little gimmicks coming, you want to know what the final boss fight is like. I don't think it's worse this way. There are just more reasons to keep playing than the determination to finish now.

So I am saying that SMB1 is a piece of cake, but a comparatively boring one.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 12:34:13 PM »
NSMBWii and NSMB2's extra levels are roughly on the same level of difficulty as Lost Levels, though for different reasons.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »
I played the Wii VC version again about a week ago for the heck of it.  Surprisingly, it wasn't as difficult as I thought I remembered it being; 4-4, 5-4, 8-1 and 8-4 were the only levels that cost me more than three lives (though I got incredibly lucky on 7-4).  Then I played it again as Luigi.  I can't believe I ever thought his superior jumping was worth the loss in acceleration and traction; I lost twenty-plus lives on 8-4 alone due to his inability to do those backwards cliff-jumps properly.

But yeah, memorization is pretty much required to get decent at the game.  Even still, I find the original version somewhat reliant on luck; due to sprite limits, there's several places where you have to be wary of the potential of missing/reappearing enemies.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print