Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario: Splatoon  (Read 36542 times)

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
I've just suddenly remembered this.

Specifically, after the release of Super Mario Brothers (the 1993 family comedy), an addition was made to employee contracts banning the use of scripts in Mario related media, which went fully into effect after 9 years.

It seems apropos.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 03:49:25 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 05:24:36 AM »
The graphics are beautiful. Fits in perfectly with the material look of Woolly World and Rainbow Curse. The cardboard trees, the ? Block that's made of unevenly folded paper with a tab folded under the top flap when you hit it open, the construction paper on the ground that curls up at the corners... ugghh i kinda hate that it looks so good
I really like how after overplaying the "Mario is paper" thing in Sticker Star and Paper Jam, they put in the effort to make it look the part. The Wii U's power is definitely being shown off to its full potential here.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
The title card for that level shows two empty stars along with the percentage of colorless spots filled, so maybe that red star is actually a collectible?
Actually that's probably just alternate level exits.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

CrossEyed7

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2016, 11:01:33 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JBbcaLsyZI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JBbcaLsyZI</a>

A video where a Muppet says everything I've been saying, except better and cuter
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 12:51:59 AM »
Well put, Muppet.

I think the bottom line is that they aren't making deep games because it's isn't cost-effective. They could probably crap out five Sticker Star sequels on the same budget it would take to make a proper TTYD follow-up. The only ones complaining about these games are those old enough to have played the first two PMs. Nintendo has conditioned most younger buyers into accepting simple, easy-to-produce output by offering no alternative.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2016, 04:30:50 AM »
Kids have alternatives, and that's why I heard one of them see the retro pixel Mario amiibo and say "It's Minecraft Mario"

And if they're not playing Minecraft, kids these days are totally playing Call of Duty from, like, age baby and a half
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2016, 05:09:31 PM »
I mean Nintendo isn't giving alternatives. If you want new Mario, your only option is simple Mario with six characters.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2016, 08:52:08 PM »
Three out of the eight or so real Mario RPGs are up on the Wii U Virtual Console at least.

I'm not usually the "your opinion is wrong" type anymore after I stopped being a fundamentalist (circa 2012-2013ish), but I still get the urge to say that when I see people saying Sticker Star is just as good as the originals. I hate that this is going to become okay. What really gets me is the ones who say "oh, what, you expected a story in a Mario game?" Yes! Yes I did expect a story in this spin-off Mario series where the whole point was that it had a story! That's like if they made a Mario Tennis game with no tennis in it; it was just the Psynergy training minigames from the GBA one, and it wasn't labeled as a spinoff or anything, that's just what Mario Tennis is now, and they were like "What's the problem? SMB3 didn't have any tennis in it."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2016, 09:26:29 PM »
To be fair, the first two games are titled "Mario Story" and "Paper Mario RPG" in Japan. The rest all have pretty much identical titles to their western releases, all of which notably lack any references to stories or RPGs.

Digest this food for thought however you wish.

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2016, 09:36:36 PM »
That's the tastiest food The Chef has ever cooked me.

Man's got a point!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2016, 12:07:38 AM »
True, but if Paper Mario is going to go from being a Mario series defined by having stories and characters and experience points to being a Mario series where Peach doesn't do anything and Bowser doesn't say anything and there's no characters other than Toads and the only thing that separates it from the main series anymore is the art style, why even bother?

Sticker Star did a lot of interesting things and had some welcome fresh ideas, but there was no reason they couldn't have put all the good parts of it into an actual Paper Mario game. Having a battle system based entirely around disposable/discardable items and having an actual story are not mutually exclusive. Baten Kaitos had a card-based battle system and an interesting story; why can't Color Splash have both?

I would have forgiven them if Sticker Star was a one-off experimental thing where they didn't bother writing a story so they could focus all their energy on figuring out the gameplay system they wanted to use going forward, and then after that they'd be free to spend part of their time building on the system that they remade from the ground up in Sticker Star and part of their time writing the stories and fleshing out the characters, and four years later they could make a game that plays like an improved version of Sticker Star and has the worldbuilding of TTYD -- but no, they're just making a game that plays like Sticker Star and also still has all the character of Sticker Star.

The graphics are amazing, but other than that, how have they improved on Sticker Star? How have they built on it? The trailer they showed is just Sticker Star HD, except instead of peeling stickers off the walls everywhere, you hit circles with your hammer everywhere to do the same thing, and instead of paperizing to stick a thing in an empty space, you hit an empty space with your hammer and a thing fills in. The gameplay looks pretty much the same, and the characters are all still generic Toads.

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »
I wonder if the sticker star battle system lacks partners simply because having  actual characters would look out of place in the world.

Of course, they at least thought of it:

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »
True, but if Paper Mario is going to go from being a Mario series defined by having stories and characters and experience points to being a Mario series where Peach doesn't do anything and Bowser doesn't say anything and there's no characters other than Toads and the only thing that separates it from the main series anymore is the art style, why even bother?

Sticker Star is still technically a different genre than regular Mario. It's more of a Zelda-style puzzling adventure game that still has turn-based battles for whatever reason.

Now that I think of it, I think Intelligent Systems would've been better off excising the battles entirely and focusing all of their time and resources on devising more and better puzzles where you play with the environment. At least then people would know it's ostensibly not a regular Japanese RPG anymore.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »

Now see, that's back when the game was going to have partners and a story, and looking at it now, those are stickers in attack slots -- it looks like it's already pretty much the final battle sys...

wait a minute

[quote author=bobbysq1337 link=topic=14842.msg616841#msg616841 date=1457627808]
[img]http://celebteenlaundry.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Paper-Mario-3DS1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

celebteenlaundry?

...do I want to know what that is?

Print