Print

Author Topic: SMB World -1 (Minus World)  (Read 7413 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 31, 2004, 01:16:32 PM »
For the new people or others here who haven't seen World -1 or the other Minus Worlds checkout:

http://www.masterware.net/hobbies/smb.htm
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 02:13:14 PM »
Hmmmm, -3 looks a lot like 4-4 with the underground block set... Interesting.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 06:46:28 PM »
Very interesting, though I think his technical details are flat out wrong.  FDS SMB just has the data in the ROM in different locations, so the pointers for minus world end up in different levels.  If it hadn't been chance that resulted in regular SMB having an underwater level as minus world, there would have been more levels just like with FDS SMB.  This wasn't intentional, just chance of where the pointers ended up in the ROM.  If beating -3 lets you choose your level, that's another chance thing, problably due to the comparison routine used to determine whether you're allowed to select your level after beating the game twice normally.  i.e. IT WAS ALL CHANCE, NOT SOMETHING PLANNED FOR BY NINTENDO as the author of that page states.  The fact that glitchy versions of levels already in the game were used proves this.  Chance again allowed the levels to be fully playable, unlike many of the levels obtained when using Game Genie codes.  If Nintendo did actually know about the bug, it's possible that they made sure the pointer at least went to playable levels instead of fixing the actual bug (which may have required extensive rewriting of the game engine).

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 07:32:39 PM »
Heh, in the upcoming SMB release for GBA, they stuck the Minus World back in.

"There''s never enough time to do all the nothing you want."- Calvin
This is a secret coded message.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 08:37:31 PM »
They never took it out, doofus.
That's just a copy of the original SMB ROM.

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 08:46:20 PM »
Saying "doofus" made me laugh out loud, but only because "doofus is a funny word.  BTW, is "lol" pronounced like "lull", or do you say the letters, like "El Oh El"?

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if you have good aim!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 09:41:55 PM »
I pronounce it a "l-oh-l"
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 09:59:56 PM »
So do I, but some of my friends are pretending that they're going to make their own website an call it LOL ENTERPRISES, and they pronounce it "lull".

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if you have good aim!
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 03:00:26 PM »
Well even if you were to pronounce it as a word, it'd be pronounced "lahl" because an O following a consonant makes the "AH" noise.

The guy at that website doesn't know the difference between a World/Level and a Stage. For shame.

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2004, 05:14:26 PM »
There was actually a point in time for me when I didn't laugh at all, I just said "LOL". It was weird....
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 09:57:07 AM »
It's "el-oh-el", trust me. But that Minus World thing is awesome, I wonder how it changed from the Japanese to American version... (If it said it in the article, please don't be a jerk about it because due to limited time I couldn't really read it)

Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!
Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again, let''s do the Mario all together now! You got it! It''s the Mario! Do the Mario! Swing your arms from side to side, come on, it''s time to go do the Mario! Take one step, and then again! Let''s do the Mario altogether now! Come on now! Just like that!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 12:21:53 PM »
I always pronounce it "lahl."

The universe is permeated with the odor of turpentine.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 12:44:30 PM »

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2004, 12:50:43 PM »
I just say "Laugh out Loud."

Friends? Heh, these are my only friends- grown-up nerds like Gore Vidal; and even he''s kissed more boys than I ever will.

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2004, 06:29:54 PM »
I just go "Hahaha" in the place of lol.
200 characters and nothing to say.

Print