Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 474713 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1680 on: February 06, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #1681 on: February 10, 2009, 02:25:44 PM »
Going back to the overalls point, remember that Mario and Luigi lived in Brooklyn before they came to the Mushroom Kingdom.  They could have bought their overalls at a clothing store in Brooklyn and when they arrived in the Mushroom Kingdom, they would have had them on at the time.
That's what he said.

« Reply #1682 on: February 10, 2009, 07:06:38 PM »
Where on earth are people getting the idea that they came from Brooklyn? Did you even play yoshi's island?
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1683 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:03 PM »
From everything that existed before Yoshi's Island. I say that they were born in the Mushroom World, got sent to Earth when Bowser took over, then found their way back somehow twenty years later. Until they make a game with Teen Mario, it works.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1684 on: February 10, 2009, 08:03:34 PM »
Where on earth are people getting the idea that they came from Brooklyn? Did you even play yoshi's island?

I played YI. BUT! They could have been sent to Brooklyn sometime inbetween the events of YI (and YIDS) and Donkey Kong. Wrecking Crew obviously takes place in Brooklyn. Donkey Kong.. is confusing: the game takes place in Brooklyn, but the ape has land in the video game lands. Mario Bros is how they came to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Someone should make a timeline out of the games. Maybe I'll do it..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1685 on: February 10, 2009, 08:52:45 PM »
Super Mario Bros is how they came to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mario Bros. took place in Brooklyn as well.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #1686 on: February 10, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
Super Mario Bros is how they came to the Mushroom Kingdom.

Mario Bros. took place in Brooklyn as well.

No, no: Super Mario Bros happens after Mario Bros. During Mario Bros, they are leaving Brooklyn and heading into the MK. Some where in the sewers of Brooklyn, there is theory alert!!! a giant pipe or network of pipes that connects Brooklyn with the MK. Upon defeating the enemies all around them, the Bros got a good look around and realised that they weren't in Brooklyn anymore. /theory!!!

Don't forget that the story to Mario Bros says that they heard a voice coming from the pipes in their apartment.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1687 on: February 10, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »
Which version of Mario Bros. has a story?
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1688 on: February 10, 2009, 10:26:45 PM »
The Punch Ball version on the PC-88, obviously.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #1689 on: February 11, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »
What's a Punch Ball?

Anyway, I realise I may have made a mistake: Upon review of instruction manuals that I own, the story for Super Mario Bros  has the bit about the Bros hearing voices from the pipes..

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1690 on: February 11, 2009, 06:06:25 PM »
They never lived in Brooklyn within the context of the games. You could definitely integrate it yourself through fuding, but there's never been any official in-game confirmation of Mario and Luigi hailing from Brooklyn. Donkey Kong '94 and Donkey Kong Land make it apparent that Mario was working in Big Ape City during his construction worker days, and Mario Bros. may as well take place in Toad Town Tunnels and various sewer systems in the Mushroom World if the various re-releases are anything to go by.

« Reply #1691 on: February 11, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »
Play Mario's Time Machine.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Brooklyn

« Reply #1692 on: February 11, 2009, 09:37:10 PM »
My standing, like that of the Chef, is that Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. took place in the Mushroom Kingdom, despite resembling real-world locations. As for Captain Lou Albano and Danny Wells of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, we can probably safely pass them off as a couple of overall-clad buffoons who reside in a universe entirely parallel to the in-game Mario canon. Conversely, my idea ofthe life and times of  Mario Mario can be explained in verse:

In the Mushroom Kingdom, born and raised
In the sewers are where I spent most of my days
Ch... ummm... Whatever.

I'll stop there for concern of further tarnishing any reputation I may have garnered on this forum as of yet. If anyone feels compelled to continue "Fresh Plumber of Mush-Air", feel free.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1693 on: February 11, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Mario's Time Machine is way far out of any possible "canon" the series might have (but doesn't anyway).
The SM64 Player's Guide does say he's from Brooklyn, but it calls him a "visitor" to the Mushroom Kingdom in the same sentence so I don't think there's a whole lot of credence to be put in that statement.
The cartoons and movie and whatnot have nothing to do with the games at all.
That was a joke.

« Reply #1694 on: February 12, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »
I don't see why Mario's Time Machine would not be considered canon; it's an officially liscened Mario game on a Nintendo platform.  And Charles Martinet has said in numerous interviews that Mario is a Brooklyn plumber.  Seeing how this is in agreement with other Mario media and doesn't contradict Yoshi's Island, I don't see why some people would dismiss Mario's Brooklynite status.

Print