Print

Author Topic: The ANGST thread: Complain here!  (Read 1704612 times)

Jman

• Score
« Reply #7140 on: February 15, 2011, 11:37:14 PM »
Trust me, Peach, I know the feeling.  I'm in the middle of a very busy week myself.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7141 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »
Sounds rough, ninjap00.

As for what I'm currently balancing? I'm trying to apply to four super-prestigious colleges by the end of the month, and I have weekly quizzes on multiple textbook chapters due in two different classes each week, along with weekly reports and an upcoming presentation for Biology, plus a Psychology debate on Friday and all kinds of Creative Writing work that's hard to keep track of because the class is half online and half off. Oh, and I'm always under constant personal pressure to write my book as well, not to mention cope with my latent internet addiction.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7142 on: February 24, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
I want to like Ocarina of Time, but between the framerate and the slow pacing, I just... can't.  How did this game ever become as popular as it is?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #7143 on: February 24, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »
We might appreciate it more had we played it back in the 90's, methinks.

prestigious
colleges

Oh you and your oxymorons.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7144 on: February 24, 2011, 06:04:49 PM »
I want to like Ocarina of Time, but between the framerate and the slow pacing, I just... can't.  How did this game ever become as popular as it is?
Hand it to Nostalgia Goggles.

It's much better on GameCube though. Hope the 3DS version includes any combination of Master Quest, new dungeons, relocated Pieces of Heart... and even harder game in the vein of Master Quest...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #7145 on: February 24, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
I preordered Wind Waker back in the day and got the OoT bonus disc. I distinctly remember thinking OoT was the best game ever at the time (I was 13). Then once I got Wind Waker, it took years for me to even attempt to go back to that horrible framerate (even on GameCube) and that unspeakably bad 1-heart beep (possibly even more annoying than LttP's). I started replaying it again not long ago, finished the Fire Temple, and then within a week, they announced the 3DS remake. So I'm waiting for that now.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #7146 on: February 24, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »
Hand it to Nostalgia Goggles.

The game was huge when it came out. Nostalgia might have something to do with where people rank it, but its popularity surely stems from it being a great game.

You're entitled to your opinion TK, so fair enough that you don't like it. There are plenty of reasons not to like the game, it's definitely not perfect, but I've never heard of complaints about the framerate... or the pacing, really. The frame rate, as I recall was pretty stable and stayed right about at what most N64 games did-- 25~30 fps. I'd be interested to know what specifically you don't like about the pacing, though.

I don't know, I'm starting to buy into LD's theory.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7147 on: February 24, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »
Framerate may be because I'm playing on Wii64, but it's supposed to run at full speed even there.  A couple of guys on Metroid 2002's forum have said that it only runs at around 20 FPS even on the actual N64, so I don't think that's just me experiencing problems because of an emulator.

Pacing is just... I don't know.  The beginning just seems to move very slowly, which may have something to do with the framerate, but it doesn't feel like the story is going anywhere.  I can't put my finger on it, and I'm perfectly willing to admit that it has a lot to do with my personal preference, but it just does not move fast enough for me.

Another cause of ANGST for me is that I've been dealing with a cold lately, which wouldn't be so bad normally, but today I've gained this itch in my nose that makes me feel like I'm constantly about to sneeze, but I never actually do.  It's driving me up the wall - especially when it flares up.  Makes my eye water and impairs my breathing and everything.  :\

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #7148 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
The game runs perfectly fine on a real N64. Have you even beaten the whole game yet?

The game was huge when it came out. Nostalgia might have something to do with where people rank it, but its popularity surely stems from it being a great game.

I agree with this, but every time I come back to the game, I notice how well it has aged. It's definitely not perfect, but I honestly can't find too many flaws with it.

Pacing is just... I don't know.  The beginning just seems to move very slowly, which may have something to do with the framerate, but it doesn't feel like the story is going anywhere.  I can't put my finger on it, and I'm perfectly willing to admit that it has a lot to do with my personal preference, but it just does not move fast enough for me.

Maybe you're not playing it fast enough :p.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #7149 on: February 24, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
The game runs perfectly fine on a real N64. Have you even beaten the whole game yet?
No, on account of the the fact that it doesn't hold my interest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7150 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:19 PM »

I completely agree, don't get me wrong. Entirely. Every statement.

I just think all the 3-D Zeldas are pretty spectacular (except Midnaland) and whatever you play first, you'll end up comparing the rest to it. Which one is genuinely the best? ...probably Ocarina of Time... maybe.
It's YOUR problem!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #7151 on: February 28, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Someone stole my jacket when I was in class today. MY JACKET. Come on who steals a jacket of all things at a college campus?
~I.S.~

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7152 on: February 28, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
A real cold soul.
It's YOUR problem!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #7153 on: February 28, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
~I.S.~

« Reply #7154 on: February 28, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
Well, it beats having your shoes stolen by a real cold sole.

Print