Poll

Are you for or against gay marriage?

For
27 (67.5%)
Against
13 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Print

Author Topic: For or Against?  (Read 56973 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
I'm going to have to be the odd man out here. I am strongly against it.

A few years ago my pastor gave a sermon on how God's law said that man and woman were made to be compliments of each other. It does not work with a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

That's why it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. And not Amy and Eve either.

Look through the Bible and you won't find any support of gay marriage in there whatsoever. Since I view the Bible as the "users manual" for human life, I'm a firm believer in going against gay marriage.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 04:01:05 PM »
Against.

Read the posts of AbercrombieBaseball and Koopaslaya.  Their words express my belief (as far as gay marriage goes). 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 04:05:36 PM »
I'm going to have to be the odd man out here. I am strongly against it.

A few years ago my pastor gave a sermon on how God's law said that man and woman were made to be compliments of each other. It does not work with a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

That's why it was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. And not Amy and Eve either.

Look through the Bible and you won't find any support of gay marriage in there whatsoever. Since I view the Bible as the "users manual" for human life, I'm a firm believer in going against gay marriage.
Not only do I completely agree, but I've heard the exact same thing at my church one time!
I'm a horrible person.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 04:37:06 PM »
(opinion, removed to decrease the length of this post)

See, here's the thing. You believe that the Bible is the "users manual" for human life... I've read a few passages in the Bible that are kind of... appaling? For example, I can claim that the Bible teaches society to treat women as inferior to men on all facets of life. Several passages in the Bible support this viewpoint. I'll pull them up for you if you'd like.

Seriously, I have yet to see any valid argument against gay marriage that isn't religion-based. And since religion is not a valid basis for ANYTHING in my mind, I have yet to see a valid argument against gay marriage.

I think I'll make that thread about life being entirely luck, also, since this notion is apparantly "crap".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:08:32 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
Well, here's what I have to say. It aint pretty.................

I have no idea why anyone would want to be with someone of the same sex. It takes all the romance out of creating something wonderful together, the way God wanted it to be. It's a sin in my eyes (but not to the point of going to hell).

I'm sorry, but as a heterosexual, I'd never be able to see through the eyes of a homosexual. I'm extremly interested in being with a woman, and I just think that being with a man would be disgusting.

Law wise, I could give a rat's butt on what the government wants to do with it. I think it's more personal, and having the law step in and put a stop to it is kinda the way we delt with things back in the Puritanical age. I absolutley dislike the way homosexual's think, but then again, I also despise Puritan thought.

Againts, as far as the Bible goes. That's my opinion. Yeah, I'll probabley be ridiculed for it, but I don't care. I'm not changing my mind. Period.

(DeadAwake, I hope your comment was a joke. There's no way I'd ever try it.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 05:12:58 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »
As St. Augustine said, Hate the sin, love the sinner.

I would just like to stress this, because it really was just what I was thinking in reading this topic. 
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »
It's not like I hate homosexuals (heck, there was one in my class last year who was hilarious) I just don't agree with their methods.

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 05:59:35 PM »
This is one of the things that I just don't really care about.

If you are homosexual, then great.

If you aren't, cool.

Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:16 PM »
... I view the Bible as the "users manual" for human life...
Post hidden for God's sake.
User's Manual on slavery:
1 Timothy 6:1
All those who are under the yoke of slavery must have unqualified respect for their masters, so that the name of God and our teaching is not brought into disrepute.
Tt 2:9
Slaves must be obedient to their masters in everything, and do what is wanted without argument.
1 Peter 2:18
Slaves, you should obey your masters respectfully, not only those who are kind and reasonable but also those who are difficult to please.
1 Corinthians 7:21
Even if you have a chance of freedom you should prefer to make full use of your condition as a slave.

Hmmm.  Why don't we have slavery in America today?  It seems perfectly justified according to your manual.

...all men (and women) are created equal.
Post hidden for God's sake.
User's Manual on a woman's role:
1 Corinthians 11:4
For any man to pray or to prophesy with his head covered shows disrespect for his head.
1 Corinthians 11:5
And for a woman to pray or prophecy with her head uncovered shows disrespect for her head.
1 Corinthians 11:7
But for a man it is not right to have his head covered, since he is the image of God and reflects God's glory; but a woman is the reflection of man's glory.
1 Corinthians 14:34
As in all the churches of God's holy people, women are to remain quiet in the assemblies, since they have no permission to speak: theirs is a subordinate part.
1 Timothy 2:11-12
During instruction, a woman should be quiet and respectful. I give no permission for a woman to teach or to have authority over a man. A woman ought to be quiet.

Well, so much for women being created equal to men.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 02:42:58 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2006, 07:06:53 PM »
I think I'll make that thread about life being entirely luck, also, since this notion is apparantly "crap".

No, he was saying "crap" because he has horrible luck and you just 100% doomed his life.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2006, 07:19:19 PM »
If AB thinks the Bible is his user manual, than it isn't anyone's right to take that from him. Please back off.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 07:28:25 PM by PaperLuigi »

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »
No, he was saying "crap" because he has horrible luck and you just 100% doomed his life.

Ah. That explains it. It should have listed as a caveat that 98% or so of that luck has already been determined (at conception).

And Luigison got to the "women are inferior" stance in the Bible before I did, heh. I was just going to link to that quiz on the Landover Baptist site.
~I.S.~

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2006, 07:26:24 PM »
I vote no because I don't want it to influence the kids I may have, I know it is very ignorant, but thats what I believe.  Like it or not.
I only watch [adult swim]

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2006, 07:28:42 PM »
Have you guys ever heard of "The meek shall inherit the Earth?" When life is all said and done, the slaves and the meek will be righteous in God's eyes. It doesn't matter if you were a slave on Earth. The fact that you are obeying your master and not bringing yourself to killing him, means you will be given something better after this crappy life is over. This isn't the true life. Our mortal lives mean nothing when compared to the life afterwords.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2006, 07:35:10 PM »
Wow! A discussion on gay marriage has turned into a discussion about religion!

Who woulda thunk it?

(Oh, the meek don't inherit squat. They die and face the same eternity of nothingness their masters face, only their lives were terrible. That line, in my opinion, was placed by whoever wrote the Bible as a way to make sure slaves don't revolt. "Wait, so our lives will improve after we die? There's no need to revolt!" ... It's probably the EXACT reason all the "women are inferior to men" passages were added -- to maintain the patriarchial status quo. "Ya, the Bible says you need to be subordinate to me, so it's true."

Think about it. If you had the ability to write a book with the authority to influence everyone in a society, wouldn't it include the same viewpoints that you believe in? You know, so everyone else believes the things you do? I think the Bible was designed by ruling classes to keep their beliefs and standard of living intact for as long as possible.

That's just my opinion, though. It can't be proven at all.
~I.S.~

Print