Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Mario Power Tennis Remakes for Wii  (Read 24122 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: October 03, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Announced during Nintendo's Fall Conference yesterday, the "Wii De Asobu Selection" (Play on Wii Selection) will bring select GameCube titles to the Wii, updated with motion controls. The lineup includes Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Mario Power Tennis, and Pikmin 2.

Visit the link below for a Jungle Beat video and more on Wii De Asobu.

Link: Keynote Address translation

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:34:33 PM »
But- but- used copies of the GameCube originals are much cheaper! Plus, the Wii can already play GameCube games! What's the point? The virtual console is useful since those games have long been out of print, can usually only be found online (not everyone shops online) and even then, you got a low chance of the cartridges actually working properly. This is just insane! The only way I'll buy these games is if they're Ten dollars or lower, the usual price of used games.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:45:03 PM »
I doubt I'll pick up any of them since I was never interested in those games in the first place. It's almost sad that Nintendo's rehashing market is this big....

The virtual console is useful since those games have long been out of print, can usually only be found online (not everyone shops online) and even then, you got a low chance of the cartridges actually working properly.
What the heck? These games are too big for a VC release, and they came on those little GameCube discs.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 03:03:40 PM »
Jungle Beat - Bongos ≠ fun.

However, I never got around to picking up Power Tennis, so this might be a good opportunity for that.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 03:09:15 PM »
YES! AWESOME! Now my wish of a motion controled Metroid Prime 1 and 2 may possibly come true next year! :D

But- but- used copies of the GameCube originals are much cheaper! Plus, the Wii can already play GameCube games! What's the point?

The point is that games like Pikmin will be far easier to play for some people using the motion controls. I myself never have gotten how people can play certain generes like the RTS or First Person Shooter on systems like the Gamecube and X-Box - they just aren't natural to play on a joystick controler. Using the Wii motion controls will make it feel almost like playing on a PC, and that will draw in far more people.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 03:34:50 PM »
motion controlled Metroid Prime
I will worship Iwata the day this happens.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
-GCN games play on the Wii
-Used GCN games would be just as cheap, if not cheaper
-Tacked-on motion controls don't please a whole lot of people
-Gamers probably already have them, nongamers probably won't want them
-Remaking incredibly recent games makes the original less special

What the crap is the point of this, again? Oh, and if Nintendo thinks this means they don't have to make new entries in any of those series...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »
Yay! Mario Power Tennis! I always wanted that game for GCN, but never got it. Though, hopefully it's not an exact port with the same graphics and features. I hope Nintendo doesn't consider this the Mario Tennis title for the system's lifeline.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »
ShadowBrain, they already confirmed that Pikmin 3 is not Wii Pikmin 2 Remake.

you got a low chance of the cartridges actually working properly.
What the heck? It's virtually impossible for cartridges not to work. If they don't display right away they only need a little cleaning.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »
Hmm. I don't car for those games.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 12:26:58 AM »
What the crap is the point of this, again?
I actually agree with you 100% on this matter.

Hmm. I don't care for those games.
Yeah, neither do I.

If it's rehashing time, why not Nintendo 64 remakes that have been surprisingly scarce on the DS? If it's port-last-gen-games-to-Wii time, why not get Konami to put Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 on it?

Mmmmm... but, if F-ZERO GX gets this treatment and includes Wi-Fi... I'll probably fall for it. Definitely doesn't amount to a new game, though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 12:30:17 AM »
Guys, you're all nuts because Jungle Beat is an awesome cool game that deserves to be played.
That was a joke.

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 12:33:52 AM »
Has anyone even said if this series is coming to the US?

The more people get to play Jungle Beat the better, but I'm interested to see what they do with the controls, particularly what they make "clap" (probably A) and seeing if they remove DK Bongo support (I bet they will, the basts).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »
It's already been confirmed that they're just going to use the same s***ty controls from Bongo Blast.

And, yes, DKJB is an awesome game, and the best way to keep it that way is to not drag it through the mud like this.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »
Barrel Blast was a masterpiece and you're too much of a Grinch to admit it.

The less eyesore bongo controllers JB has the better. Now all it needs is Diddy, Cranky, Kremlings, Barrel Cannons, actual DK Isle locations, Rambi and Enguarde and it'll be good.

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 09:49:18 AM »
I don't think you know what makes a game good.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 12:32:23 PM »
Good for me, or good for you?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 12:54:27 PM »
Good as in good. More superfluous characters and rehash items and locations do not a good game make. Fresh, innovative controls and pure fun, on the other hand, do.
That was a joke.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
If it's rehashing time, why not Nintendo 64 remakes that have been surprisingly scarce on the DS? If it's port-last-gen-games-to-Wii time, why not get Konami to put Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 on it?

Paper Mario DS should be made. WITH ALL NEW TOUCH SCREEN CONTROL GIMMICKS! Nah just make a completely new game (and please don't make it a platformer) Oh and thanks BP for not rubbing in that spelling mistake in my face. But know what, I'm not going to change it.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »
Good as in good. More superfluous characters and rehash items and locations do not a good game make. Fresh, innovative controls and pure fun, on the other hand, do.

Everybody and their dog would complain big time if the next Mario game lacked Peach, Bowser, Toad, all of the usual enemy drones, and the Mushroom Kingdom/ some place that looks like it's set in the Mushroom World. Seriously.

EDIT: What I find even more hard to believe is that the fanservice/reference-ridden SMG was made by the same team as Jungle Beat. Why is this?

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
Super Mario Land?
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2008, 07:54:25 PM »
Do you see anybody liking anything about SML besides it's music?

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
I liked everything about the game, but I guess the reason I don't mind Peach, Luigi and the rest of them not being there is because it was my first Mario game.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
Super Mario Land 2 lacked pretty much everything as well, and it's pretty decent. Not groundbreakingly great like Jungle Beat is, however.
Also keep in mind that Miyamoto apparently hates DKC games, and while I don't, I see no reason to continue with them instead of making stuff that is way more awesome.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2008, 09:08:43 PM »
I liked everything about the game, but I guess the reason I don't mind Peach, Luigi and the rest of them not being there is because it was my first Mario game.
It was the developer's first Mario game, too.

Has anyone even said if this series is coming to the US?
Well, I've heard mixed reports on that. It seems like one of those Japan-only things, but the line between too weird/superfluous to come to the states has been fading in the last few years. As a business, Nintendo's pulled more boners than chronic masturbator, but this one really takes the cake. I mean, at least the Virtual Boy was original.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 07:16:54 AM »
Super Mario Land 2 lacked pretty much everything as well, and it's pretty decent. Not groundbreakingly great like Jungle Beat is, however.
Also keep in mind that Miyamoto apparently hates DKC games, and while I don't, I see no reason to continue with them instead of making stuff that is way more awesome.

I read that Miyamoto made amends after Yoshi's Island was made, so if anything it's Nintendo Tokyo that hates the DK franchise.

I don't mind JB's game concept in the least. I just didn't like the fact that every possible role that was already filled by something from past games was replaced with crappy un-DK looking facsimiles. I mean, why did they give us those white monkeys when they could've just as easily been Barrel Cannons? Why do we have to fight koosh ball pigs and evil cactuses when they should really be Gnawties and Kremlings? Why do we have the buffalo and the orca whale rejects when those are really the same thing as Rambi and Enguarde? It makes no sense.

I mean, didn't it bother any of you when they used those cruddy "Strollin' Stus" instead of Goombas in SMS?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »
So that's what those obese, midgets clowns are called? Yeah, that P'd me O.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 09:40:54 AM »
Hmm. I always considered it just an extension of the near lack of traditional enemies seen in SM64. What I disliked more was the weirdly redesigned Bob-ombs.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
Hmm. I always considered it just an extension of the near lack of traditional enemies seen in SM64.
Uhh... like Goombas, Koopas, Bob-Ombs, Thwomps, Chain Chomps, and (Monty) Moles? SMS is practically a class all it's own when it comes to non-"traditional" enemies (but hey, barring the possibility that Isle Delfino is an island nation subordinate to the MK, what do you expect?).

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
Well, I've heard mixed reports on that. It seems like one of those Japan-only things, but the line between too weird/superfluous to come to the states has been fading in the last few years. As a business, Nintendo's pulled more boners than chronic masturbator, but this one really takes the cake. I mean, at least the Virtual Boy was original.

I wouldn't say that re-releasing old games with new features is necessarily "weird." It's certainly not infrequent. When I think of weird Japanese exclusives, it brings to mind strange hardware devices like the Satalite BS-X, or zany games like Captain Rainbow. I'm not getting the same feeling from this "new" series - it sounds like a pretty normal move, actually.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 08:00:31 PM »
Wearing five pairs of pants at once is weird, even though pants are a normal thing to wear. Sometimes superfluousness is enough to qualify as too "off" for the States (think the iQ).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 10:01:52 PM »
iQue was specifically developed for China, a country that didn't have official Nintendo systems before. It wasn't even marketed in Japan.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 07:11:04 AM »
I didn't even use the word "Japan" in that post, did I?

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
Doesn't this mean we'll eventually get a Luigi's Mansion and SMS remake with motion controll?
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Great, way to jinx it. Hey, as long as they're going back and fixing history, why don't they give us a 3-D Link to the Past?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »
Forget remakes. I want a Luigi's Mansion sequel with Wii MotionPlus.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »
I didn't even use the word "Japan" in that post, did I?
I think you're missing the point. You make it sound like the iQue wasn't just some select games released in China. Games we got way earlier.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 07:05:43 AM »
What I meant is that that sort of thing would be totally superfluous in the US, and I think remakes of four or five-year-old GCN games with tacked-on controls fall under the same criteria.

But hey, America is the Land of Extravagance! Bring it on! Make a $40 remake of Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess with WiiMotion Plus while you're at it!

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 07:45:56 AM »

If there are games you have no intention to buy, then don't buy them. Period.
Don't complain and swear incessantly every time Nintendo announces something you don't agree with.
You don't have to keep reminding people you hate Nintendo.
I wasn't joking when I said this. You deliberately avoid the good. This isn't being "cautiously pessimistic." This is "not getting over it." I'm pretty sure that most of us are tired of your constant "Nintendo keeps releasing s**t that I don't want to buy" posts. Is there some insatiable hunger that you must satisfy by buying a new game or two every single month? As much I myself love video games, I have the capacity to wait. I will keep on the lookout for the games I truly want while glancing over the others and seeing whether or not I ought to try them. If I do not see something I really want, then I may either go back to my older games or give others a go. I do not complain at every game I see that I may not buy or if a game is delayed, which is both annoying and tiring.

Really, if you see no hope for the future, why do you keep sticking to Nintendo? Sell your Wii and its games, and go buy an XBox. It's a much more effective protest to Nintendo than spewing "F**k you Nintendo" over and over.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 08:08:00 AM »
Mm-hmm. I agreed with you on the pointlessness of remaking such recent games, but what I find most superfluous and extravagant is... the complaining.

That being said, the newest game I own is probably Brawl. I bought some games after that, but you know--F-ZERO GX, StarTropics and Bonk's Adventure on Virtual Console... I go back to old games I've never played. I have some video games I've never started! Of course, you own and have spent so much time on every video game ever and don't have that option, right? It's great being a peasant.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 12:03:06 PM »
Great! Now all MPT needs is Toad playable and it'll be fine by me. It's likely not going to happen, though.. *sadness*
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
Mm-hmm. I agreed with you on the pointlessness of remaking such recent games, but what I find most superfluous and extravagant is... the complaining.
I'm continuing the conversation. People say something, I do the same right back.

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
According to this, it seems like new content will be added, other than motion controls.

Toad being playable in MPT may yet come! :D
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print