Print

Author Topic: Wii U  (Read 11504 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »
Where are you getting this information from?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
The Wii U so far has been a disappointment financially.
The Wii U has been out for seven months.

There are people who would say the 3DS is a disappointment financially, despite having over 30 million units shipped worldwide by the time it reached the two-year mark, and despite it passing the PS3's lifetime sales in Japan with less than 1/3 as much time on the market.

No third party companies are making games for it
Third-party publishers who either had Wii U games come out recently or who have upcoming games:

Namco Bandai
Atlus
Sega
Capcom
Square Enix
Activision
Disney
Ubisoft
Warner Bros.

There's a big difference between "EA isn't supporting it" and "no one is supporting it." Guess which companies are actually relevant on Nintendo platforms? Hint: not the one whose only million-seller on any Nintendo platform was a Harry Potter GBA game.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 08:15:17 AM »
The Wii U has been out for seven months.

The WiiU has consistently missed Nintendo's sales forecast (even after revision)  and, after a very front-loaded launch, is currently below the PS3's - a console launched at 599$ for the most common SKU and which, unlike the Wii U, had no risk of its 3rd-party support being jeopardized by upcoming, disproportionately more powerful systems. I've also read that the Wii U's been doing below both the 360 and PS3 worst ever weeks, but I'm having trouble finding an up-to-date archive of monthly NPD numbers.

Of course, it's possible Nintendo turns things around (and not in a "DROP GAMEPAD CUT PRICE TO 150 BUNDLE SMASH BROS THERE I SAVED YOU NINTENDO"-kind of way), when first-party games finally hit but it's pretty safe to say that the Wii U is plainly not doing satisfactorily at this point of time.

Third-party publishers who either had Wii U games come out recently or who have upcoming games:

There's support and then there's support, though. Sqeenix, for example, may have released a quick and dirty up-rezed port of a Wii game in one region, but is it really substantial support when they've announced two blockbuster releases for competing systems and basically nothing else for the Wii U?

I attribute it to this: Nintendo makes so innovative consoles that no other company besides themselves can figure out what to do with them.

As opposed to a combination of poor branding, featuring a quirky proprietary architecture while competitors are moving to more standard x86-based systems, extended first-party software drought caused by the chronic delay of "launch window" games (and that despite Nintendo basically abandoning its predecessor for the two preceding years, which should've guarranteed some time to get accustomed to HD development), mediocre launch lineup.. etc?

If the WiiU did well, the third-parties would make games for it, quirky control method be [darn]ed. Look at the DS.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »
Namco Bandai
Atlus
Sega
Capcom
Square Enix
Activision
Disney
Ubisoft
Warner Bros.
also:
Lego
EA
lots of indie game companies

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
EA

I thought EA was staying clear of Wii U until it did better... http://www.ea.com/wiiu
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »
If EA would stop making so many sports games updates, they would be doing just fine.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
Nope, EA is coming back to Wii U.

I don't understand why there is always a games shortage with Nintendo releases.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »
I thought EA was staying clear of Wii U until it did better... http://www.ea.com/wiiu
Madden.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 11:45:20 AM »
System update today, guys.
Relics.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 12:54:51 AM »
Nope, EA is coming back to Wii U.

I don't understand why there is always a games shortage with Nintendo releases.

Strange system designs make third parties hesitant.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »

Just got my Wii U today. It's fun stuff! Only got the one game for it, though. We'll see how long that keeps me entertained.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »
So if one were to play Smash Brothers Brawl in a Wii U, would Toon Link be upgraded to HD
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
That would be a hell of a lot of foresight on Nintendo's part.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 04:03:41 PM by TheMightyThor »
Relics.

Print