Print

Author Topic: Wreck-It Ralph - Official Trailer #1 -  (Read 16557 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDQHVkYq4g" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHDQHVkYq4g</a>

An 8-bit video-game character attempts to shed his bad-guy image by escaping into a popular first-person shooter, but inadvertently wreaks havoc in the video-game universe by freeing a digital villain.

How many video-game characters can you name in the trailer? 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 10:04:10 AM »
So far, the obvious plus the ones people have pointed out to me:

1. Bowser
2. Eggman
3. Zangief
4. M. Bison
5. Zombie (from House of the Dead 2, supposedly)
6. The purple rhino from Altered Beast (forget his name)
7. Q-Bert
8. Clyde (from Pac-Man)
9. Paperboy (You can only see him briefly)
10. Someone from Mortal Kombat (I don't remember the name but people are claiming he's visible in the trailer)

The promotional stills for the movie also show the following:

11. Chun-Li
12. Coily (Q-Bert)
13. Ugg (Q-Bert)
14. Wrong Way (Q-Bert)
15. Sam (Q-Bert)
16. Slick (Q-Bert)

...and that's all I know of.

To be quite honest I'm not all that impressed with this movie. It's nice they got the rights to feature these characters but if they're just gonna appear for one scene and maybe deliver a (rather cheap and corny) gag than that doesn't give this anymore weight than your average sprite comic or Robot Chicken sketch. Other than the video game hook this film's premise looks like a lame repeat of Megamind, yet I see people praising it everywhere. Some even compare it to Roger Rabbit (something I cannot understand, since it looks like the amount of "love" for video games here pales compared to the tribute they paid to classical animation there), or Toy Story (which once again is hardly an apt comparison considering Toy Story at least gave certain well-known toys some important roles while this movie appears to just use the game characters for throwaway scenes).

Also, you all know [darn] well that Disney is gonna make this their next merchandise juggernaut.... and people will likely eat it right up.What does it say about the state of video games in the public eye when what essentially amounts to a copyright safe parody of Mario and Donkey Kong winds up eclipsing the real thing? How is it that we finally get a proper animated movie featuring game characters with some honest effort behind it, and the end result is a premise we've seen a million times before (a meta-parody, for those couldn't figure it out)?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »
I can see where you're coming from with this - because yeah, the premise itself has been done to death.  You've got to expect them to go with what they know will work (well, where "work" means "make a lot at the box office").  But still, I do enjoy video games enough that I want to give it a fair chance.  To be honest, I don't mind going to see "just a fun little movie" once in a while.  It probably won't match Pixar fare (although from what I've seen of it, I've got my misgivings about Brave), but at the very least it'll be enjoyable enough around the holidays, and a good opportunity to go to a movie with geeky friends.  And it may well be surprisingly good.  Look at how Tangled turned out.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:07:00 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:44 PM »
Lame jokes and music aside, this seems...actually very interesting.
Relics.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
"Good Feeling"... ugh. I'll probably end up seeing it, but only because Bowser's there.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
I wasn't aware anyone was taking this seriously.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »
The Chef's got a point, but I still can't not be excited for this on some level.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »
Sweet. Hopefully this movie will be awesome. What would you like to see in the movie?
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
A better story.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »
Nah, that looks like a regular Nicelandian bartender, all of whom look like Mario-style humans.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
Certainly does give off an 80s Mario vibe, if you ask me.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »
Well, I think this movie looks good and I'm excited to see how they integrate 8-bit retro graphics and music into the more modern environments in the newer video games.  And I really like the song "Good Feeling," so the trailer was effective in getting me excited.

As for the plot itself...  It seems like Cars backwards.  Rather than a youthful, new hotshot entering an obsolete environment and learning to respect old people, this film shows an obsolete video game character from an arcade entering youthful, new environments to teach hotshots to respect old people.  Or something, I haven't seen much more than the first trailer.  "You don't have to be a bad guy if you don't want to," I guess.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »
You're making me wish the end of the movie will depict Ralph as an old man barking at his grandson who is now the main character of Wreck-It Ralph Country (it won't happen).

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:28:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the bartender from Tapper?
Go Moon!

Print