Print

Author Topic: What happens to underage members?  (Read 37599 times)

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:39 PM »
I must have a bad memory, I don't rememeber posting that......but unless you lied to Sapph in the birthday thread, your're 15. If you really are 12, I don't mind, because I'm 12 too...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2005, 12:33:22 AM »
I guess you guys don't realize this, but the 13-year-old requirement was an unalterable part of the old board system, and was put in place to comply with a US law:

COPPA requires that commercial websites obtain verifiable parental consent before collecting personal information from a child under the age of 13 (age 12 and under). A failure to obtain such consent is an unfair and deceptive trade practice. COPPA took effect on April 21, 2000.

And you guys saying that you're under 13 but post like you aren't... in most cases it isn't true; your age really does show... maybe just not to those that are still around your age.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2005, 12:39:51 AM »
Yeah, but who is to say you were significantly less mature 6 months before your 13th birthday?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2005, 12:44:58 AM »
The government.

Not saying it's right, but that's what they do.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2005, 12:48:05 AM »
XD
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2005, 03:05:09 AM »
Are we a commercial website (because of the ads, maybe)?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2005, 03:16:05 AM »
The paragraph after on the linked website said:
COPPA applies to commercial websites, online services "targeted at children" and any online service operators with actual knowledge that they collect personal information from a child. (Actual knowledge can be as simple as a child sharing their grade or age in a monitored general audience chatroom on your client’s site, or can be supplied by an email or phone call from concerned parents who object to the collection practices on behalf of their child.) Personal information includes such items as full name, home address, e-mail address, telephone number, social security number or any other information that the FTC determines "permits the physical or online contacting of a specific individual."

We fall under the third category, so theoretically, we should bring the age limit back.

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2005, 04:25:01 PM »
Could that be why I wasn't getting any members or posts on any of the boards I've run? I've opened several boards within the past few months, and have had to take them down.
BTW, what if this place was non-compliant (other than being forced to shut down and face court litigation, even if no users were harmed?)

ottermi619,
'Cuse me again for dissent of our overly regulated Internet.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2005, 04:50:25 PM »
I don't want to go back to having almost nothing to do! I sort of only said I was underaged because Saph said the 13 thing wasn't a requirement. Please do not not not ban me!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2005, 06:23:27 PM »
Hmmm... But how can we prove Mr.Melee's not 13? He could have been lying.
Since when have we really cared about age though? Until the government comes here threatening to arrest Deezer unless Mr.Melee is banned (which I doubt will happen), don't ban him.
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2005, 06:27:55 PM »
Well, I really am fifteen...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2005, 08:24:33 PM »
Remember, n00bs are just junior versions of all of us! Eventually they will grow to check their spelling more like us, create more meaningful posts like us, and eventually understand what all of the BORED threads are all about, like us.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2005, 08:51:26 PM »
Back on topic, when I first registered, I was probably early 11. My topics weren't top-notch, but at least I used correct grammar. Soon after I acted mature and I was accepted into this forum.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »
Yeah, what Bird Person said. Is this another joke like the SSBM one? If it is, darn it! I'm young and easy to fool!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »
Er... I can't remember a time when MB wasn't serious, but if I were you I wouldn't worry about it. If you were going to get banned for your age it would have happeneed a few days ago when you confessed.
It's YOUR problem!

Print