Print

Author Topic: Could Mario be a bad guy?  (Read 4455 times)

« on: June 03, 2000, 08:27:20 PM »
Could Mario be a bad guy? I know you are confused as to how I came to that conclusion, but here me out.
1) We have only seen the story of Mario     vs. Bowser through Mario's perception
2)Who's to say that the Mushroom Kingdom wasn't Bowser's to begin with?
3)Everyone says that bowser is evil, but why doesn't he ever kill anything? He didn't kill any of the inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom, he aloud them to live in stone form, and put the yoshis in eggs, but Mario will squash his enemies without thinking twice.
4)It's undeniable how cruel Mario is to Yoshi.  He in Super Mario World (SNES) he punches Yoshi in the back of the and forces him to eat enemies and fruit that hasn't been washed.
5)Mario is constantly taking other people's coins without asking

These are just a few points to get the ball rolling.

I would appreciate any feed back!

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2000, 10:01:53 PM »
But you have to know Bowser has kidnapped Mario's women  more than 8 times!  I mean, who wouldn't be mad about that?!  I would be doing the same thing that Mario is doing.  I don't really blame the guy.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2000, 10:47:41 PM »
Mario is also a bad role model.  Image all the little kids around the world seeing Mario going around throwing fire balls every where.  Next thing you know you have an army of kids throwing lit matches at poor little turtles

Omega Pipberus, The Triple Headed Demon
Omega Pipberus, The Triple Headed Demon

Kat

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2000, 11:17:27 PM »
mmm... flaming turtle soup....heheheh

•^v´~`·._•(·~Kat~·)•_.·´~`v^•

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2000, 01:57:43 PM »
1) We have only seen the story of Mario vs. Bowser through Mario's perception.
    Actually, we've also seen it through the eyes of Yoshi (see SMW2:YI and Yoshi's Story) and Luigi (see Mario is Missing).

2)Who's to say that the Mushroom Kingdom wasn't Bowser's to begin with?
   Well, given that the Mushroom people keep saying that Bowser is invading... also, Bowser never claimed TMK was his.

3)Everyone says that bowser is evil, but why doesn't he ever kill anything? He didn't kill any of the inhabitants of the Mushroom Kingdom, he aloud them to live in stone form, and put the yoshis in eggs, but Mario will squash his enemies without thinking twice.
   Wait a sec... Bowser's killed Mario hundreds of times! Why do you think I grab all those 1up mushrooms? ;)
   Also, direct evidence does not exist to prove that Mario actually KILLS anything. He thwomps them, true, but generally the enemies then disappear in a puff of smoke (Koopa magic?) or fall/run away off the screen.

4)It's undeniable how cruel Mario is to Yoshi. He in Super Mario World (SNES) he punches Yoshi in the back of the and forces him to eat enemies and fruit that hasn't been washed.
  Actually, those punches aren't -- they are just cute directional movements that are misunderstood by us due to the two dimensional view we have (this also applies to the misconception that Mario bashes blocks with his HEAD, as opposed to with his fist).
  Secondly, Yoshi eats anything and everything, and of his own will. Note that in SMW Yoshi eats ANY berry he walks by.

5)Mario is constantly taking other people's coins without asking.
  This is an interesting point... generally, the coins Mario gathers are:
   1 - Floating out in the fields. These would obviously belong to whoever found them, as there is no claim to objects in the wild.
   2 - Inside ? blocks. Again, the laws of TMK seem to suggest that items in blocks belong to whoever claims them first.
   3 - Inside Bowser's castles, etc.. In this case, Mario is actually reclaiming the coins Bowser stole from the Mushroom people.

Thus, it is my estimation that Bowser is, indeed, evil, and that Mario is good.

Of course, that still leaves the whole Donkey Kong Junior game open for debate....

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

http://codebook.stals.com
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2000, 03:55:15 PM »
In response to David.  Touche!
To everyone. Thank you for you for your feed back!!

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2000, 06:24:45 PM »
I have nothing against Mario, the guy is the coolest but do you know of Wario's origin?
According to the comics in Nintendo Power, Mario used to bully Wario when they were children.
(Thanks for that one, Deezer)

I see all, hear all, and know all. (At least about SMB DX.)
I see all, hear all, and know all. (At least about SMB DX.)(and SM64 )

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2000, 08:34:58 PM »
I'd also like to add that in the Donkey Kong games DK played Mario's neglected, abused pet.

I see all, hear all, and know all. (At least about SMB DX.)
I see all, hear all, and know all. (At least about SMB DX.)(and SM64 )

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2000, 09:06:47 PM »
I would have to disagree with David just a bit on one thing. If you look closely, he doesn't smash the blocks with his head. Whenever he jumps, you can see that of his arms go up, supposedly to help him jump higher. But if your right, he must have padding or something in that hat, or mabye some bottles of asprin!

Oh yeah! Well, Luigi's taller!
Oh yeah! Well, Luigi''s taller!

Ralph Wiggum: Hello SuperNintendo Chalmers!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2000, 09:15:14 PM »
Mario WAS a bad guy, in "Donky Kong Jr." Or maybe it was really Wario.  : )
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2000, 09:38:21 PM »
Luigi99, it seems that you think Dayton said they opposite of what he meant to say. Re-read his message about the Mario-head-bashing. Get it?

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2000, 09:48:07 PM »
I believe Mario is a badguy...I suspected him for along time.

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2000, 02:43:26 AM »
Thanks to all for being able to see it from my percpective, but the important thing to keep in mind is that Mario is still an excellent video game character (good or bad).

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2000, 09:50:58 PM »
It's a possibility. He did some of those things, but you forgot one thing. He stole that statue of Peach from Wario at the end of Wario Land 2 and probably got all the credit. Poor Wario...

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2000, 06:12:37 PM »
I think you're right.  I think it's time to see things from BOWSER'S point of view.  Also...here's an interesting thought: How do we know Yoshi isn't secretly loyal to Bowser?  After all, it COULD be interpreted that, in S.M.W., Mario gets bumped by an enemy while on Yoshi's back, and that is when Yoshi decides to take advantage and run, run, run!  After all, why would he run otherwise--and run off cliffs?  I have a hunch--I think none of the critters actually die, but when they are defeated or fall off a cliff they are transported by complex methods back to Bowser's kingdom.  Bowser then--well, e-mail me for my whole theory.

Also, do you realize what Mario does to Bowser's kids?  We don't hear about Bowser doing that to Mario's kids!  And, besides, if he's that much of a nightmare, why would he have so many loyal subjects?  (a.k.a Koopas)  Why don't his kids run up and hug Mario instead of trying to get rid of him?  Anyway, write me at: writeusat@juno.com to hear more and to discuss this with me.  Thanks!  :  )

Print