Print

Author Topic: EGM tidbits: SSBB rumors, or truths?  (Read 4952 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »
Despite the daily updates, Smash Bros. DOJO!! has yet to confirm a lot of information on Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However, EGM has managed to make two bold claims in their latest issue (August 2007, #218). Firstly, in their rumors section, they proudly reveal confirmation that the game will use the physics engine Havok (wikipedia).  Finally, in their "Best of the Rest" section, they state SSBB will utilize the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for online battles and more. Now, nowhere in all this E3 mess have I heard or seen confirmation of either, especially since the game isn't going to be on the show floor for playability, but don't you think Nintendo would have said something, anything, about either of those things today? Do you think EGM is going out on a limb, or is the printed word still more trustworthy than the typed one? Let your opinions be heard!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:12:30 PM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:49:46 PM »
Well, first of all, it's called the Rumor Mill. Granted, they get these tidbits from somewhere, but I've never really been able to find out where (I think they just don't give the sources so people won't chew 'em out when their RUMORS turn out to be falsse, but who knows). As for the Wi-Fi thing, I don't recall--wait, maybe I do. Where DID they get that, anyway?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:49:04 PM »
I don't think the use of Havok is something Nintendo would ever announce. Sure, it could be true, but Nintendo wouldn't make a big deal about it. How often do they ever talk about their engines?

As for Wifi, I don't think it's going to happen. They already annouced Wifi for Mario Kart simultaneously with the game announcement. Unless there's a session at E3 dedicated specifically to Brawl info (which I doubt b/c they don't have a playable demo or anything), they would have announced it already if it were going to happen. No online in Brawl, you heard it here and you can quote me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 08:50:57 PM by Lizard Dude »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:00:10 PM »
I personally think that Nintendo would not release Super Smash Bros. Brawl without Wi-Fi matches. It would deal a huge blow to sales and disappoint those who do buy it. If they held Twilight Princess in for as long as they did to fine-tune it so and get the best sales results, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same to the Wii's best-seller to be... if you don't count Wii Sports.
Rumors are sometimes wrong and sometimes right. Believing a rumor isn't going to really get you anywhere--Mr. Melee and I are planning a showdown of sorts in the event that Wi-Fi battles are made reality, but nobody outside of #tmk will know about it until we know for sure, at which time polls will be made. Oops!
He challenged me. Can you believe it? ;D
I believe Sakurai said himself that he wants Brawl to have Wi-Fi. He didn't specify in what manner, but online scores aren't all that likely... Win-loss records would work, yes, but win-loss records won't work without online fights from which to make them, hmm?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 03:09:28 AM »
First, it won't deal a huge blow to sales or any blow to sales. Anyone who cares enough about Brawl to eagerly anticipate online matches in it will care enough to buy it anyway when it comes out without online matches. SSBM was the top-selling GCN game and SSBB will be the top-selling Wii game.

Second, sure he *wants* online multi, but the fact is that current internet connections are not fast enough to properly allow non-messed up twitch fighting games. A few have tried, like SF2 on XBLA, but the game system itself is slowed down and all the hardcore still complain furiously about how messed up it is because of lag. Most of the big-name fighting series are going to have online in the next iteration, and someone will get the combination of mad network programming combined with natural increase in internet speed right eventually, but it sure ain't going to be Nintendo, the worst company at online gaming in the history of the world.

So either

A) There won't be online because they can't get it right and they don't want to release a crappy mode

or

B) They'll put it in anyway and people will complain nonstop about how bad and laggy it is, even though it's as laggy as any game, but it matters way more in fighters.

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 06:49:27 AM »
SSBB was literately made for wi-fi. Miyamoto or Iwata(I forget) came to Sakurai wanting to make an online SSBM for wii, but Sakurai wanted to make a whole new game instead. Is what I heard, I think it was on the Smash Bros Dojo in fact, back when they had the 'Story of Brawl' section.
If they don't use Wi-Fi, I think it will be a blow to sells. Maybe not that huge, but people love online games, and in the long run having it will definitely increase sales.
Now, I have no clue about the engine, but I've heard they are using the same engine that they used in Melee on the Smashboards website.
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:30:44 AM »
I don't see Nintendo making any special points of giving out info on Brawl at E3.  SSBB is a hardcore gamer's game.  That's not Nintendo's focus at E3 (note that I'm not there).  Hardcore gamers will get there info from every source they can, but I think Nintendo knows SSBB will sell regardless of them releasing info about it at E3.  Keep in mind that E3 is basically a big press conference and Nintendo's aim is at new/non/casual gamers.  Besides, I think the engine rumor is almost certainly false and the WiFi rumor is most likely false as well.  Never mind the fact that I want more online titles.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »
I'd like to see Brawl go online, but LD makes a good point about current internet connections not being fast enough to experience a fighting game w/out lag.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print