Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy dethrones Ocarina  (Read 13051 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 04:48:29 PM »
If you want pointless running around in 3-D space, go play Animal Crossing or something.  Mario took a wrong turn with the open levels of Mario 64, and SMG just fixes that.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »
Come to think of it, were SM64's worlds really so open? Let's take Shifting Sand Land for example. If you wanted to go through the entire level, all you'd have to do is this: You start in a corner of sorts, you move towards this table-shaped structure, you go across the stone platform maze with the Tox Boxes on it, you arrive on the other side, you go around and into the pyramid, up through the pyramid and end at the top.

Or, Bob-Omb battlefield. You begin crossing the bridge. There's a small field with not much to see. You could skip that to see a Chain Chomp and a see-saw-like bridge. There's another small field without a lot to do. You can now go back to the beginning by a lower dirt path or climb the spiral mountain. If you do the latter, it's a short path to the highest point in the level. You're done!

Cool Cool Mountain and Whomp's Fortress were rather linear as well.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
I just mean that in SMG, the camera angles are always forcing you in one direction and gravity keeps you in one place.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 10:31:15 PM »
The camera can't force you to go in any direction and the gravity constantly changes, keeping you in tons of places.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 11:51:21 PM »
A lot of people seem to not know that you can actually adjust the camera in most places.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 10:05:14 AM »
I know you can adjust it sometimes, but I guess it's just the lack of a c-stick is what hurts it... I just was expecting something along the lines of the SMS camera.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »
Which everyone hated?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
Obviously someone liked it.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
I never really thought much was wrong with it. But I guess a lot of people did.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 04:41:22 AM »
The camera doesn't often interfere with how well I can play Galaxy.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 09:45:08 AM »
Oh, I never found it interfering with the gameplay; it's just that a game feels more open (to me) when I can swirl the camera any which-way if I want a different perspective. On circular planetoids, I can totally understand a fixed camera, though...

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 06:03:37 PM »
i think mario galaxy was better than OoT >.>  <.<

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »
Update:

For comparison:
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »
Apparently Marios are getting better and Zeldas are getting worse.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »
Apparently Marios are getting better and Zeldas are getting worse.
Interesting comment.  I decided to do a comparison by system of the top Mario and Zelda games.  Unfortunately gamerankings.com has very few SNES and no NES scores. 

Wii: 

GCN: 

N64: 

SNES: 

A few of these comparisons may be unfair.  For example, TP Wii was orginally going to be a GCN game.  That helps explains TP high scores and rankings for Wii and GCN as compared to Mario games, although it is easily arguable that SMG is better than SMS. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print