Print

Author Topic: Are any of you... pokemon masters?  (Read 19410 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
I gotta find me some pokemon masters. Talk some team strategies and competitive stuff. Who got a Deoxys? Etc...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »
Well I played Pokémon long enough to cause my game to transform one of my Pokémon into bad eggs, but I'm not sure if that qualifies me as a Pokémon Master though. On the other hand, I do have my fair share of level 100's

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
What defines "Pokemon Master"?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »
It has been theorized that when one becomes a Pokémon champion of a regional Pokémon League, one attains the title of master - however, this cannot be correct, as Ash won the Orange League without attaining the position. Indeed, other League champions haven't ever been referred to as Pokémon masters, either. Another theory is that, in the context of the anime, Pokémon masters are the members of the Elite Four. However, even these characters are not always referred to as Pokémon masters when Ash meets them.

Another popular theory is that one must catch one of every kind of Pokémon in the world to become a Pokémon master. However, this is likely to be incorrect as far as the Pokémon anime is concerned as well. For one, it would be impractical, as capturing legendary Pokémon is both extremely difficult, and is often shown to be morally wrong. In addition, various negative and dangerous effects appear to come as a result of capturing legendary Pokémon. While some legendary Pokémon have willingly partnered with humans (for example, an Articuno was befriended by Noland of the Battle Frontier and battled for him on occasion), it is highly implausible that anyone has ever convinced all of them to do so.

Aside from the legendary issue, it would be impractical for anyone in the anime to capture and maintain at least 493 different creatures. Unlike the Pokémon games or Pokémon Special manga, in which Pokémon can be stored in suspended animation as computer data - Pokémon in the anime need to be fed and exercised regularly to maintain their health. Such a task would be impossible for anyone to perform alone, or even with many assistants or helpers. A worldwide community containing at least one of each is logically possible, considering that Professor Oak had a research facility which doubled as a living ground for the Pokémon. This may have resulted in the franchise's dropping of the familiar "Gotta Catch 'em All!" motto.

The answer may lie by looking at a real-life skill that also has trouble defining a master - martial arts. In that field, as in the world of Pokémon training, even winning tournaments, belts, and competitions doesn't define if someone has achieved the status of a "master". Instead, masters are defined more by inner character, inner strength, and intuition, rather than who has the most power or skills.

Indeed, a Pokémon master may not be someone who has won a title, so much as it may simply be someone who has striven so diligently, that Pokémon training and befriending Pokémon is intuitive.

According to the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, a Pokémon master is simply an elite trainer who is considered a professional and regularly takes part in League competitions.
- Bulbapedia
Noy Duh

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
I am. I caught and seen all 493 Pokemon. 100% AR free. (Aside from the ones that you couldn't get at events currently, I had to have someone trade them to me, and they did have to use AR to their areas, however.) Took me about a year.

Of course, not to brag though. I'm not the best at battling, but I'm pretty good.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
I stopped playing Pokemon after the ruby era.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »
Yeah. Like that article suggests, I'd really just define a pokemon master as someone who knows almost everything about every pokemon, and is prepared to battle anything. The anime is dumb though, so I also believe you should be able to catch at least the top evolution of every pokemon family to be a pokemon master.
= = = = = = =

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »
I stopped playing Pokemon after the ruby era.
I've got the nerve to stop playing it after three or four generations of taking it up the tailpipe with the whole, "oh, look, here's a third game with a different Legendary on the cover and some new features." That, and all of Game Freak's weird quirks they never seem to get over (i.e. using weird Korean expressions and all-caps-ing everything related to POKEMON).

And yet... I can't stop! (though, of course, I've stayed away from the spin-offs... in recent years that is. Forgive me, Lord, for I bought Pokemon Channel).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
If "spin-offs" include the Mystery Dungeon games, then :[
They're way more tactical and less stale-tasting... unless you hate roguelikes. But hey, they don't put every NOUN in all-caps.

As for the topic title, no way am I. I hardly care about the Pokédex and my "strategy" sucks.

On the subject of abandoning the series, the new species they thought up for IV are all terrible, and I don't like Diamond or Pearl. Still holding out for Gold/Silver remakes, though. Chomping at the bit, actually.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:07 AM »
All terrible? Dude, you can't hate this:

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »
If "spin-offs" include the Mystery Dungeon games, then :[
I bought Blue Rescue Team (and yes, I hate dungeon crawlers with a bile-spitting fury).

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »
All terrible? Dude, you can't hate this:

Congratulations, LD, you just posted what is possibly the most obnoxious Pokemon of Generation IV (unless you count Bibarel).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
the most obnoxious Pokemon of Generation IV

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »
Naw, he's just nosy...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »
He's also my favorite Pokemon of this generation, natch. :P

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 06:15:29 PM »
What's up with the origami duck heads sticking out of his sides?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 07:51:04 PM »
I have nearly every version of Pokemon released (need to get Emerald), I've completed each generations Pokedex at least once (though still working on 4th gen), I've got multiple teams and strategies prepared for various opponents, I've bought the awful GCN games and purified every one of them just for Lugia and Ho-Oh and I've never used GameShark/Action Replay for any reason. All my legendaries are legit.

Am I a master yet?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 10:17:02 PM »
Wasn't Porygon an origami duck?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 11:53:50 PM »
No, it's a virtual Pokemon created in cyberspace. But, yes, I suppose it could be meant to resemble an origami duck...

According to the Pokedex descriptions, they're "Mininoses". Beats me...

Congratulations, LD, you just posted what is possibly the most obnoxious Pokemon of Generation IV (unless you count Bibarel).
Oh God, I HATE Bibarel. It's so annoying to get owned by that glaring, buck-toothed beaver! (especially considering he reminds me of a kid I kind of know with a similar appearance)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 12:38:39 AM »
I've seen SUVs that resemble it. when I see one want to use Brick Break on the windshield.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »
I would use Spacial Rend, but to each his own...

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2008, 12:37:44 AM »
Mr. Wiggles, I'd say you're a pokemon master.
= = = = = = =

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »
I could... identify every Pokemon.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2008, 02:08:01 PM »
The challenge has been set before me.

I am to defeat the Elite Four in Pokemon Yellow in one sitting. On the plane. To Australia. With my family. For vacation.

I may only shut off the Game Boy to change batteries. Otherwise, I must do it all without turning off the system.

Can I do it?

Will my eyes fall out?

Will I truly be a Pokemon master?
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »
Beating the Elite Four doth not a Pokemon Master make... but go for it all the same.
Aw, heck, I don't know what I'm talking about.  For all I know, the Elite Four in pokemon Yellow may actually be challenging.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 04:07:45 PM »
From the beginning of the game.. I should have said.

I am going to restart as soon as electronics may be turned on at a safe altitude. Then I am going to play for non-stop time until I defeat them.

That is the challenge.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 07:31:26 PM »
From what I remember, Pokémon Yellow's Elite Four were the strongest, or maybe that's because I was a fool and skipped all wild encounters and the whole victory road back then.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 06:34:08 PM »
While I have a mostly-completed copy of Pokemon Silver, I mostly just replay Red Blue and Yellow... over and over...  and I STILL don't have a link cable. -_-  So I've never actually gotten all 150.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 06:44:57 PM »
Trading with yourself is an experience everybody needs to have. Making the music in both games just barely line up wrong so it sounds like you're in the Poké Space Center, mashing A on two handhelds at once... it's really magical. I don't think I've ever had a real trade, though. You know, like "Give me that one there, and you can have this egg." With other people it's always been "Okay, I need one of those in my Pokédex, and I need this to evolve... okay. Time to trade back."

The best thing ever, though, is mixing records. I set up my secret base in Ruby with how it'd look on another person's game in mind. After beating the Elite Four, you get to fight your friend's party in their base every day. I have done a sequence of trading to get my FireRed team fightable in Ruby, and it's not that easy. I know all my traps now, of course... but the first time, I actually walked right into them and got beaten pretty badly.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 08:16:09 PM »
From what I remember, Pokémon Yellow's Elite Four were the strongest, or maybe that's because I was a fool and skipped all wild encounters and the whole victory road back then.

I honestly believe Diamond/Pearl had the hardest E4 of all the games. There's a big gap between the trainers and wild Pokemon in Victory Road compared to the Elite 4 and the Champion. Stupid Garchamp and Spiritomb.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 11:41:01 PM »
All of my team members except for Torterra were below level 50 when I battled the Diamond E4; one of them, the HM slave I forgot to switch out, was below level 20. I didn't lose to any E4 members or the Champion. I agree that they're probably the hardest E4 to date, but they're still too easy.

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 04:16:35 AM »
Trading with yourself is an experience everybody needs to have. Making the music in both games just barely line up wrong so it sounds like you're in the Poké Space Center, mashing A on two handhelds at once... it's really magical. I don't think I've ever had a real trade, though. You know, like "Give me that one there, and you can have this egg." With other people it's always been "Okay, I need one of those in my Pokédex, and I need this to evolve... okay. Time to trade back."
I never got a chance to actually trade Pokemon when I had the original game, but when I played Red and Blue in an emulator, I would duplicate the save file so I could trade with myself to evolve certain Pokemon and nab exclusive/missable Pokemon.

And then I use cheats/glitches to perfect the Pokemons' genes and get any other unlockables you're not supposed to get on your own, because darned if I'm going to link up with more stuff and feed Nintendo's money machine just so I can have ONE HUNDRED PERCENT COMPLETION!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »
Mr. Wiggles / WarpRattler: While the DP Elite Four may have been the most difficult at the first attempt, I find that overall, they aren't nearly as difficult as the LeafGreen/FireRed Elite Four after the first time you beat them. The second round in LeafGreen/FireRed is excruciating-- if you don't have high enough level Pokémon. Once you do, however, not only will it be a piece of cake-- it'll be perfect for level grinding. I strongkly dislike the Level 60- Elite Four Pokémon in Diamond/Pearl. They just don't give me experience points fast enough for my higher levels.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 08:25:29 PM »
I never had a chance to go through the Diamond E4 a second time (my card got snapped in half by a guy that found it on the floor of the bus), but I went through the LeafGreen E4 many times, and never had a problem with them either.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure the Pokémon Diamond Elite Four don't change on the second time you blast through them.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
Warprattler, did you punch the guy who broke the game, in the face?
= = = = = = =

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 11:12:27 AM »
Needless comma, insertion?
That was a joke.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 05:43:46 PM »
It sounded, a bit awkward when reading it back, and so I threw that comma in, because I make up my own rules for english.

...... ,
= = = = = = =

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »
That's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 08:37:05 AM »
I honestly believe Diamond/Pearl had the hardest E4 of all the games. There's a big gap between the trainers and wild Pokemon in Victory Road compared to the Elite 4 and the Champion. Stupid Garchamp and Spiritomb.

Really?  I rather thought they were the easiest... FireRed had the hardest E4 for me...
but I agree about the stupid Garchomp; he killed my poor Staraptor Nestle in one hit with Giga Impact... it's a good thing I had Palkia with me at the time, or that would've cost me the match.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 05:04:19 PM »
Way back in the days of pokemon I got Pokemon yellow pikachu edition for christmas.  I beat the entire game and I had a level 70 something pikachu and I put the game away for about five years.  When I came back to it to play it a little more again my entire game was for apparantly no reason completely formatted.  I was furious.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:08:49 PM by MushroomJunkie »
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »
Chances are the save battery died, MJ. Speaking of which, when I get the chance I'm gonna see if my friend's Gold suffered the same fate.

Meanwhile, I managed to breed up a Houndour in Emerald with the nature I wanted (Docile), the ability I wanted (Early Bird), and pretty well-rounded IVs with the highest being HP.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 07:15:03 PM »
Interestingly, my copy of Pokémon Red still has its original save. Have I just been really lucky or something?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
Well I tried re beating it and its been saving and not formatting itself so I'm not sure if anything broke or ran out.  I am just completely unsure of what happened.  Right now my highest level pokemon in the game is a level 68 nidoking.  Oh yeah I have pokemon red for the gameboy too, I found that one rather boring and never got very far.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
Pokemon carts seem notoriously bad at retaining saved data.
That was a joke.

« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »
wow, almost everywhere i look people seem to hate pokemon (its mostly due to the anime) but i like it anyways.

so let's see...i guess i consider myself a pokemon master...but i'm sure there are many people better than me.

i'm almost done completing my sapphire's national dex (343 out of 386)
i have enough experience since i own red, blue, yellow, gold, silver, sapphire, emerald and diamond...

hmmm...if i could get a glameow and a purugly in my diamond, plus manaphy, darkrai, shaymin and arceus, i think i could complete the national dex there. my sapphire has most of the pokemon i need, the rest i have/can get in diamond. the only ones i would need trades to obtain them are the ones i listed.

as far as training goes...i only have 4 lv 100 pokemon, and i'm training a group of 5 pokemon of mine so they can reach lv100 soon too.
so that would be rayquaza, kyogre, blaziken and blissey lv100. but i never used any game hacking devices.

i'm also into glitches...(old red and blue!) and as far as that goes, i own a couple of glitches...to those of you who know what i'm talking of, i own MissingNo., 'M, A, a, .4, h POKE, PKMN, LM4, and pT.

compared to the people i know, i think i'm a pokemon master. i even have a copper trainer card in sapphire, and supposedly, to beat a game 100% you have to get the maximum trainer card color (have all of the little stars, ex. you obtain one for beating the elite four)

but again, i think there are many people out there who are more of a pokemon master than me.

event pokemon....due to buying a used pokemon emerald game pak, i own all the event pokemon from generation 1-3, except deoxys due to a corrupted save file...(it got deleted) but i managed to go to the recent nintendo event at gamestop and i got myself a new lv50 deoxys in diamond (its lv58 right now)

i wish i had wi-fi though...i would like battling some people there.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2008, 08:43:31 PM »
Update on my friend's Gold cart: the save is gone. It also refuses to save. However, his Yellow still has its save. So does Pokémon Trading Card Game. XD

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »
I used to consider myself a Pokemon Master, but I stopped caring after R/S/E.
The only 4th gen pokemon I like are:

Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »
I do not have the guts to call myself a "master". Though I've been a fan of the series since the beginning(or at least, since Mom and Dad got me Pokemon Yellow and my first Game Boy Color for Christmas), I am in no way a master due to the following:

~ I have never beaten the Elite Four.
~ I have never even come close to "catching them all".
~ I am unable to fill every Pokedex entry due to lack of personal connectivity availability(I know no one willing to hook up GB/GBA versions, and I have no WiFi so sad).
~ Some Pokemon I absolutely refuse to evolve, like my Wartortle(Wartortle's my favorite) or my Pikachu from LeafGreen.

If the definition of "Pokemon master" was changed to "someone who has followed the Pokemon series since their earliest days and is a truly dedicated fan", yeah, I'd be a master. Otherwise, I'm just a Pokenerd.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2008, 12:12:35 AM »
Pokemon carts seem notoriously bad at retaining saved data.
My copy of Red suffered such a fate, but that was probably because I banged my Game Boy on the ground when I got really ticked about something (I got the satisfyingly enhanced, albeit somewhat promotional, Pokemon Yellow to compensate). My copy of Gold, as I recently discovered, has fallen prey to the same fate, un-bashed.

Granted, any old cartridge game with battery memory will probably suffer save-loss eventually. It's just that Pokemon games are really complex (which is why there's only one save file. However, that excuse doesn't cut it for Pokemon Colleseum--that name is the only time a Pokemon game will send me to the dictionary, mind you--a game that, though I'm not insanely fond of it, still bugs me in that I have to use a separate memory card so my brother and I can have indvidual files (heck, I'm only even playing it so I can get G/S Pokemon on Ruby and, by extension, Pearl).

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 10:24:24 AM »
wow, almost everywhere i look people seem to hate pokemon (its mostly due to the anime) but i like it anyways.

I got into pokemon when it first came out and I loved it.  I still do like the old pokemon games and show but I dislike the new one.  They changed characters, the new pokemon look alot different then they used to back in the early days and personally think it was stupid of them to change it.

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 06:38:19 PM »
I stopped playing Pokemon after Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. They just got worse after that.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 08:45:53 AM »
If you haven't played them, how do you know they're worse?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
The Diamond and Pearl series were the first to be admitted to the hospital because of its worsening conditions.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 09:31:31 PM »
I don't see how any of it could get any worse, because it's virtually the same... uh, game. They add a bunch of new features each time, I can't think of any ideas that they "threw out".

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2008, 05:53:04 AM »
What about the PokéGear from Gold & Silver? The radio never came back (not that it made a huge difference to begin with) and the phone sort of returned in Emerald, then dropped again.

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2008, 08:18:52 AM »
Man, I hate my AR. I was getting kinda close, seen all the Sinnoh Pokemon, brought up my high level Rayquaza and Swampert, but, I got out of hand with my AR and, due to my horrible programming skills, I had to delete that file, thus making me lose alot of that data (then again, most of it dissapeared anyway.) I'm going to have to re-beat Pokemon Diamond and Emerald. Either that, or wait until Platnium comes out.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
Question about EVs and training my Porygon-Z... I have maxed out it's base Sp. Att. with Calciums, infected it with Pokerus and equipped it with the macho brace.  Then I pit it against endless Gastlies in the old chateau.  From my understanding, because I'm getting quadruple EVs (1 Sp. Att. from defeating Gastly x2 from Pokerus x2 with macho brace=4), for however many Gastlies Porygon-Z defeats before levelling up, he should get +1 in his special attack stat.  However, the most I've ever gotten after levelling up on 8 or so Gastlies was +6 special attack.  I've even gotten as low as +3.  What am I doing wrong, if anything?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2008, 05:33:26 PM »
Man, I hate my AR. I was getting kinda close, seen all the Sinnoh Pokemon, brought up my high level Rayquaza and Swampert, but, I got out of hand with my AR and, due to my horrible programming skills, I had to delete that file, thus making me lose alot of that data (then again, most of it dissapeared anyway.) I'm going to have to re-beat Pokemon Diamond and Emerald. Either that, or wait until Platnium comes out.

D'awww a cheating device made me have to restart my game. I sure wish I hadn't cheated.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 11:35:03 AM »
If you were cheating on the file, why do you have attachment to it? Can't you just cheat up a new one?

In conclusion, cheaters are losers.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »
See CrossEyed7's sig.

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
I love to play Pokemon. (The anime was ruined) I don't think I could be called a "Master," though, I kinda suck. I can breeze through the games easily, but when I face other people I always seem to get my butt kicked.
No image sigs? =(

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 06:02:49 AM »
Thanks to Serebii.net and their Pokemon of the Week articles that only seem to focus on competitive battling...

Serebii's battlers:  First, I'll use nasty plot, so I can hit you harder with my Porygon-Z's relentlessly trained Special Attack.  Then I'll use agility, so it'll be faster.  Then I'll eat a cheeseburger because I'm hungry.  Then I'll use Baton Pass to confuse you.  Then I'll...etc.

Me:  Lucario!  Use Aura Sphere!  *One-hit-KOs Porygon-Z*

Yeah... IMO, Serebii waaaaaaaaaay over-think their battle strategies.

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 06:40:12 AM »
I tried to learn what EVs and IVs are, but, due to my low attention span, I got bored and played a game instead.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 07:02:22 AM »
I didn't know much about that until Suffix brought it up. It's simple--you fight a lot of the same thing over and over, and the stat or stats it represents goes up. Everything has specific EVs to give. For speed, beat a lot of Zubat and Golbat. For attack power, beat a lot of Carvanha.
There's a limit of 510 total EVs with any individual one capping at 255, so don't bother with stats you won't need. Say, I wanted a Politoed with Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam and Rain Dance. I would completely avoid having it fight things that yield attack EVs because the stat is utterly useless. That way, its other stats could be higher. And... I do in fact have a pretty durable Politoed like that.
IVs I still don't know, but I think it's something you can't really control.
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
I'm fairly certain the cap for the total amount of EVs of any category is 255-- meaning that if you train in one area a ton and reach 255, you won't be able to train in another area.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »
Not according to this article here.
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2008, 02:11:55 PM »
Wow! This changes a lot for me!

Thanks for that.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »
Me too; I didn't even know about the power accessories...

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:49 PM »
If you haven't played them, how do you know they're worse?

I played them for like an hour.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2008, 05:44:32 AM »
That's like reading the first two chapters of a book and then writing a negative review for the whole thing...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2008, 06:48:31 AM »
Unfortunately, that's what a lot of people do.

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2008, 07:50:42 PM »
I tried to learn what EVs and IVs are, but, due to my low attention span, I got bored and played a game instead.

That's exactly the reason that I hate them. It completely ruins and sucks out the fun factor.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2008, 08:01:10 PM »
I hate how unless you have Pokerus-infected Pokemon, a Macho Brace, and know exactly which Pokemon give which EVs, your Pokemon can't reach their maximum battling potential.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2008, 08:16:47 PM »
Pokérus: I actually did get that in Ruby. No hacking or Action Replay. Sorry I can't help you here--I got lucky.
Macho Brace: Big deal, those are easy to get.
Knowing which Pokémon give what EVs

So for two out of three, you're all set. If you're playing Emerald or a Generation IV game you can use those berries to lower EVs of stats you don't want (example, you have something with all Special moves, you don't need the Attack stat to be any higher than minimum) to free up points to go to other stats. Once you hit level 100, though you're out of luck. That's why you've got to earn the points fighting weak things that won't give a lot of experience.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2008, 12:56:22 PM »
Do I have all the Pokemon?  No, but pretty darn close.

Print