Print

Author Topic: Are any of you... pokemon masters?  (Read 19410 times)

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:33:57 AM »
I gotta find me some pokemon masters. Talk some team strategies and competitive stuff. Who got a Deoxys? Etc...
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 12:11:05 PM »
Well I played Pokémon long enough to cause my game to transform one of my Pokémon into bad eggs, but I'm not sure if that qualifies me as a Pokémon Master though. On the other hand, I do have my fair share of level 100's

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 12:21:52 PM »
What defines "Pokemon Master"?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »
It has been theorized that when one becomes a Pokémon champion of a regional Pokémon League, one attains the title of master - however, this cannot be correct, as Ash won the Orange League without attaining the position. Indeed, other League champions haven't ever been referred to as Pokémon masters, either. Another theory is that, in the context of the anime, Pokémon masters are the members of the Elite Four. However, even these characters are not always referred to as Pokémon masters when Ash meets them.

Another popular theory is that one must catch one of every kind of Pokémon in the world to become a Pokémon master. However, this is likely to be incorrect as far as the Pokémon anime is concerned as well. For one, it would be impractical, as capturing legendary Pokémon is both extremely difficult, and is often shown to be morally wrong. In addition, various negative and dangerous effects appear to come as a result of capturing legendary Pokémon. While some legendary Pokémon have willingly partnered with humans (for example, an Articuno was befriended by Noland of the Battle Frontier and battled for him on occasion), it is highly implausible that anyone has ever convinced all of them to do so.

Aside from the legendary issue, it would be impractical for anyone in the anime to capture and maintain at least 493 different creatures. Unlike the Pokémon games or Pokémon Special manga, in which Pokémon can be stored in suspended animation as computer data - Pokémon in the anime need to be fed and exercised regularly to maintain their health. Such a task would be impossible for anyone to perform alone, or even with many assistants or helpers. A worldwide community containing at least one of each is logically possible, considering that Professor Oak had a research facility which doubled as a living ground for the Pokémon. This may have resulted in the franchise's dropping of the familiar "Gotta Catch 'em All!" motto.

The answer may lie by looking at a real-life skill that also has trouble defining a master - martial arts. In that field, as in the world of Pokémon training, even winning tournaments, belts, and competitions doesn't define if someone has achieved the status of a "master". Instead, masters are defined more by inner character, inner strength, and intuition, rather than who has the most power or skills.

Indeed, a Pokémon master may not be someone who has won a title, so much as it may simply be someone who has striven so diligently, that Pokémon training and befriending Pokémon is intuitive.

According to the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, a Pokémon master is simply an elite trainer who is considered a professional and regularly takes part in League competitions.
- Bulbapedia
Noy Duh

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »
I am. I caught and seen all 493 Pokemon. 100% AR free. (Aside from the ones that you couldn't get at events currently, I had to have someone trade them to me, and they did have to use AR to their areas, however.) Took me about a year.

Of course, not to brag though. I'm not the best at battling, but I'm pretty good.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
I stopped playing Pokemon after the ruby era.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 01:52:12 AM »
Yeah. Like that article suggests, I'd really just define a pokemon master as someone who knows almost everything about every pokemon, and is prepared to battle anything. The anime is dumb though, so I also believe you should be able to catch at least the top evolution of every pokemon family to be a pokemon master.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »
I stopped playing Pokemon after the ruby era.
I've got the nerve to stop playing it after three or four generations of taking it up the tailpipe with the whole, "oh, look, here's a third game with a different Legendary on the cover and some new features." That, and all of Game Freak's weird quirks they never seem to get over (i.e. using weird Korean expressions and all-caps-ing everything related to POKEMON).

And yet... I can't stop! (though, of course, I've stayed away from the spin-offs... in recent years that is. Forgive me, Lord, for I bought Pokemon Channel).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
If "spin-offs" include the Mystery Dungeon games, then :[
They're way more tactical and less stale-tasting... unless you hate roguelikes. But hey, they don't put every NOUN in all-caps.

As for the topic title, no way am I. I hardly care about the Pokédex and my "strategy" sucks.

On the subject of abandoning the series, the new species they thought up for IV are all terrible, and I don't like Diamond or Pearl. Still holding out for Gold/Silver remakes, though. Chomping at the bit, actually.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 05:21:07 AM »
All terrible? Dude, you can't hate this:

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »
If "spin-offs" include the Mystery Dungeon games, then :[
I bought Blue Rescue Team (and yes, I hate dungeon crawlers with a bile-spitting fury).

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 09:04:42 AM »
All terrible? Dude, you can't hate this:

Congratulations, LD, you just posted what is possibly the most obnoxious Pokemon of Generation IV (unless you count Bibarel).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
the most obnoxious Pokemon of Generation IV

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:17:35 AM »
Naw, he's just nosy...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"