Print

Author Topic: Star Fox  (Read 31245 times)

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »
chocobo u rock!

You, sir, are the best poster EVER.
Seriously, you bumped TWO almost SEVEN year old topics...
with a three word post complimenting one of the posters who hasn't posted since June of '08. SERIOUSLY?
AND you bumped a topic written in '04! Come on, dude. You can do better than that.

But in all seriousness, I love the Star Fox series.

-COMPLAINTS >:(-

Original: AUGH HOLY CRAP THIS GAME IS TOO HARD! For real, I make it to Stage 6 on Route 1 and get the crap bombarded out of me just out of entering the level.

2: (Yes, I played it. DON'T ASK HOW.) On Nintendo, for not releasing it. Really? I know the N64 was coming, but the game was roughly 96% finished. There was NO excuse for that.

64: That's all? Really? Normal mode was THAT easy? All 3 routes simply aren't hard enough. Of course I realize they were trying to make amends with worse gamers (such as myself) by making the normal mode easy, but...
I know about the expert mode, which you can only unlock by getting all medals in every level.
To all you Assault and Adventures haters (myself the later), this game introduced 3rd person on-foot shooter Star Fox. Not really a complaint, but get every medal on Expert. Go to multiplayer.

Adventures: You know, I'm not even gonna say anything about this game.
Okay, fine. Why tack Fox onto a completely unrelated game? I'm lookin' at you, Nintendo, for making this happen. On a related note, Nintendo, stop pawning the Star Fox games onto other developers. Rare? NAMCO? FREAKING Q GAMES!? (I know, the guy who founded it worked at Argonaut, which made the Super FX chip.) Really, that's just lazy. Thanks to Krystal still being in the game, we have...the plot for Command! But I'll get into that later. Oh, and not to mention the voice acting, generic, often stock sounding (at least to me) sound effects, and plain odd sounding MIDIs.

Assault: It just had this...bland atmosphere to it. It didn't have the same excitement as Star Fox 64 with the Arwing portions. Don't say nostalgia filter, I played Assault first. Krystal RETURNS? Oh, come on! I know furries think she's hot, but she wasn't originally a Star Fox character. and now...

Command: The fuel really bugged me. The stylus controls, like that of Phantom Hourglass, was annoying.
And now, the plot. Please, Star Fox has Action/Sci-Fi, not all this Soap-Opera crap. It tries to be complex sometimes, but oh lord, it just gets more irritating. Please, bring back the simple "Andross! Kill him!" General Pepper is dead. WHAT!? Peppy leads the army now, and has a daughter. Slippy has a girlfriend. Another new guy named Dash. Falco leaves AGAIN. Krystal breaks up with Fox, but is still in the main plot. Come on, now. A complete lack of Landmaster of Blue Marine missions.(Speaking of which, the Blue Marine needs much more love.)

-COMPLIMENTS :D-

Original: First 3-D polygonal console game. Also features a kickin' soundtrack, to boot.

64: Great graphics for it's time, another good, oft-underrated soundtrack, and the best voices in the series, at least emotion-wise. Most fun gameplay.

Adventures: Awesome graphics. Uh...not much else to say here. Oh, the voices are so bad they're actually pretty funny.

Assault: Pretty good graphics. (Noticing a pattern, yet?) Very nice (if slowed down for whatever reason) sounding orchestrations of Star Fox 64 music (Not to mention some pretty good original music.) and the best VOICES that get pretty good emotionally near the end. I really like the ability to switch between the Landmaster, Arwing, or on foot at ease.

Command: Very good graphics for a DS game. (Yep, it's back.) Don't remember much music, so I can't talk about that.

But, when broke down to the basics, they're all really good.

So, uh...yeah?
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2010, 02:46:02 PM »
The first Star Fox game I played was Adventures.  I haven't played any since then.  Interpret that how you will.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
I really like how Starfox has continuity. I like feeling like stuff happens to the characters and they change over time. Metroid has some of that, but not as much. Zelda might have it on a grander scale, but not as personally. And Mario doesn't have any, because it's Mario. And I'd really like to see some sort of prequel some day where you play as James. Maybe it could explain how he turned from a human F-Zero pilot into an anthropomorphic fox.

I also like it when 7-year-old topics are bumped and a conversation successfully starts up again.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
The first Star Fox game I played was Adventures.  I haven't played any since then.  Interpret that how you will.
It means you're a n00b who doesn't know what Star Fox is actually about? But that's okay, neither does Nintendo. HEYOOO!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
Oh man, I don't even want to read the post at the beginning of this thread.
That was a joke.

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
Nah, it's fine, just a cheerful innocent post typical of those happy-go-lucky days.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
This thread needs moar Krystal.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:50 AM »

I guess as another topic, you can discuss this short piece on why Krystal's popular and whether she ruined Star Fox. Maybe I should be scared that the few reasons for and against Krystal are the same as mine: liked Krystal because she was hot, hated Krystal because Fox already had Fara in the comics.

Oh yeah, I remember what made me notice Star Fox in the first place. Well, Nintendo Power not shutting up about it was one, but also because the first Nintendo Power issue I checked out had the Star Fox comic in it, and it looked pretty cool. Then it took five years to rediscover the comic (and how it kept moving to different websites). Those were the days. Yoshi's Story was known as Yoshi's Island 64, the Nintendo Power Star Fox video was the coolest 10-minute video ever... and darn it, back when I read some Star Fox fanfiction that now is lost to time forever.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:26:08 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 01:21:10 AM »
*sigh* Now back to the crappy modern-day.

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2010, 01:29:47 AM »
*sigh* Now back to the crappy modern-day.
We need a thread where someone makes up lyrics to the All In The Family song relevant to how Fungi Forums or the world has changed. Maybe with a touch of "when Star Fox showed promise".

YTMND time!!

An obvious Luigi's Mansion parody.
In one video, sums up all the nostalgic feelings we have for the original game.
Inspirational music to a screenshot from the Star Fox 64 ending. Beautiful.

And... this Star Fox parody from CollegeHumor, now on YouTube.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:51:00 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2010, 01:45:25 AM »
You edited your post to have more than just the pic so I now retroactively apply my post only to Brian's. That abominable word "moar".

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Hee hee, I guess I'll point out to penguinwizard that SF64 was a reboot and Fara was only in the SNES continuity. Surely I posted that here somewhere long ago.
That was a joke.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
Yeah, it's probably not a good idea to let your young'uns hear this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enS4UhAUwd8&fmt=18
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:19:40 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 04:13:53 PM »
Come to think of it, maybe I can just accept that original stuff that appears in the Nintendo comics usually won't appear in the series. Star Fox didn't have much of a storyline to begin with, so they invented stuff left and right for the comics, probably including Fara to give a bit of a romantic angle. I saw that Beltino made it into the games (I think Falco's backstory appeared in SF64 too), but not much else. The Super Metroid comic had that annoying second-banana blue bounty hunter (started with an H...) tagging along with Samus (who for some reason had purple hair), and that stuff's been ignored. Super Mario Adventures had all sorts of crazy stuff happening, including that Yoshi village, although I suppose the Mario cartoons were even more out there.

Guess I'll bring up three more topics in the meantime.

1. What do you think of the new characters introduced throughout the series, like ROB, Bill, Kat, Prince Tricky, Beltino, and... uh... the new characters of Assault and Command? I know you don't see them much, but do you think they show promise as characters to be fleshed out more in later games? ...Just like Krystal got more of a role in Assault?

Bill shows promise, what with being involved in a planet crisis that seemed ripped off from Independence Day (you know, it'd be fun to race through a canyon trying to shake off an alien ship. Wonder why the series hasn't had anything like that yet, probably since you can't boost continually to move fast enough to make it exciting). I liked his voice. Kat's just annoying, acting like she's flirting with Fox and Falco the whole time. This is enemy-blasting time, not relationship time. At least she hasn't tried flirting with Slippy yet... ew, EW, bad image, bad image... I don't think many people liked Tricky, but he usually stayed out of the way enough to not be a problem. He was a fun scamp to have around, even if it was annoying having to feed him over and over. And I liked how he would teleport to your location without you noticing. But now that Tricky's grown up, I don't see what else they can do with him unless they made him ridable (maybe they have, I haven't played Assault). I liked him as a youngster. And Beltino... well, he's great in the Assault briefings, but that's all I know about him. It'd be more interesting listening to him than the 108-year-old General Pepper. *checks intro of SF Command on ArwingLanding.net* oh, sorry, 108-year-old Peppy.

2. What do you think of the Star Wolf team?
(too lazy to look through this thread to see if it was already brought up)

I like them primarily because they put up an actual fight, so because of that I have respect for Wolf. And Wolf used to have an eyepatch, which is cool. I could care less about the rest of the team, but since I always enjoyed the boss dialogue in Star Fox 64 (I remember being amazed that bosses actually talked to you for once), it adds a bit of colorful chatter, especially when Pigma gives the rare saying "Daddy screamed reeeaaal good before he died!" I heard that the Wolfen 2 ships were a little faster than Arwings but couldn't turn as well, so it feels more like a fair fight with the ships being about as good as yours.

3. What is your dream Star Fox game like?

Foremost, the ability to talk to your teammates through a headset and have them act on your vocal commands or return relevant commentary. There's a sore lack of feeling that your teammates actually help you (the best thing I ever heard Falco say was "You are NOT taking him down today!" referring to not letting an enemy shoot me down), so make the teammates smart enough to help themselves and you. It's great that in Star Fox 64 you can see your teammates circling around the boss, but that's not good enough. I mean come on, some of the most memorable moments I've had in games were when teammates or sidekicks helped. The difficulty would have to be ramped up so that you'll need and appreciate the help.

Second, just steal the graphics and atmosphere of Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation. The first time I saw that game in motion, I thought "this is what Star Fox needs to be." Even when the plane was just floating there in mid-air, it felt like there was always something intense going on because of all the teammate chatter and beeping noises of incoming missiles. This also implies that I want a Star Fox game that relies more on All-Range mode.

Third, if and when I want the immersive experience, have a cockpit mode where the lights and screens inside the Arwing actually do stuff. Metroid Prime showed how cool a fully-functioning cockpit interface can be, as you have the Hazard Warning indicator, counter of how many missiles you have left, and more.

And fourth, give Slippy a lower voice (something approximating his "voice" in the SNES version), maybe give him back his goofy hat, just so he won't be annoying anymore. I accept we'll never get rid of that frog, so the least they can do is tone him down.

I didn't say "go back to the planets, music, and atmosphere of the SNES original" because the games seem good about keeping many of the old places and music around, so it's probably a given.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 04:18:38 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

foxmccloudfan

• Guess who's banned!!!
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 07:10:51 PM »
Alright, this is definitely the page for me. I am obssessed with starfox. This started when i began playing as Fox in SSB Brawl. Heres what i have to say about my favorite video game series:
Starfox 64 is the best SF adventure game, but Assault has the BEST multiplayer I've ever seen...SF Adventures isn't that great, and SNES is fun, but no save function, Command is fun, especially because you beat it 8 times to win...
Oh, and Penguinwizard, Krystal didnt ruin the game, she got rid of peppy, who I hate, but I think its cheap that in Adventures she speaks in some weird language. The star wolf team is as cool as the SF team aside from Panther
And as for Coolkid, Whats wrong with bumping topics?
Guess who's back!!!

Print