Poll

Should mods, who shall remained unnamed, manually censor swear words?

Yes
5 (22.7%)
No
17 (77.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Print

Author Topic: Censoring  (Read 60198 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: February 25, 2009, 02:29:32 PM »
Should moderators edit posts to remove percieved offensive language, when the [autocensor] already does that?

There is only one right answer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 11:35:05 PM by Black Mage »
every

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »
Will the wrong answer be censored?
No! I don't want that!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »
If people try to get around the filter and succeed, they're still breaking a rule, so yes, they should be manually censored.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:54:36 PM »
It's not a question about getting around the filter, or words that aren't on the filter, or anything, but about words that are already filtered out getting censored for anyone who already opted out of the filter.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 04:00:35 PM »
Offensive posts should be edited/removed. But mods might take advantage of their power. Look at history. Power is taken advantage of every time there isn't limits. And many times when there is limits.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:36:25 PM »
Offensive posts should be edited/removed.

This coming from a guy who talked about a dream he had with his naked teacher.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:38:29 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 04:45:42 PM »
Well, let's face it; you can't control what you dream.  You can control what you say/do/type in reality.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Leave the mild swears alone.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
I don't especially like swearing and I'd discourage it... but censoring them if the censors get them is ridiculous. If the censors don't get them, it's time to enhance the censors.

Which are optional for a reason.

Edit: My signature (<censored>) has nothing to do with censors on the Fungi Forums. It's a joke from the chatroom.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »
I feel that if an individual finds cussing/cursing/swearing offensive, he/she has two options.

1. Has the option under his/her profile to censor most common swear words via a preset word bank.
2. He/She should just leave or deal with it. "If you can't stand the heat, than leave the kitchen."

I personal find option 1 more reasonable.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 07:55:10 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Either there should be no auto-censor or mod should leave swears alone unless they're complex statements.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »
Swear words are filthy, poorly chosen words that we use to express our anger or frustration towards certain people or things. Those type of words shouldn't be tolerated anywhere. Even on the internet. The auto-censors should be enhanced/upgraded so that guests and members here don't have to cringe at every swear word they might see while reading a post. And those of us who do swear a lot should look for alternative words to use or just try not to say it at all. It's a bad habit, it offends people, makes you look foolish, and doesn't make you look cool. 
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 07:27:56 PM »
Censoring is not fun!

Anyways, since a censor is set up, I believe that the mods don't need to edit the posts of people who swear.

Are you referring to Sapph?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 07:54:31 PM »
Why can't English be one of those languages that doesn't have profanity?
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 07:56:03 PM »
There are languages without profanity? I don't believe that.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print