Print

Author Topic: A question on copyright infringement...  (Read 3229 times)

« on: October 10, 2002, 09:17:30 PM »
A few days ago a few of my friends and I  were walking in PE, and we were really bored. So one of my friends decides to enlighten us with some info. He says that the PS3 will be able to play Xbox and Gamecube games.

Yeah right.

We got into a big arguemunt about copyright laws and disks' compatibility and all. He says it's like using a panosonic(sp?) VCR with a sharp tv. I say that nintendo would sue, because they pay second and third parties lots and lots of money to make the games gamecube exclusive. According to him, copyright laws only protect the data on a cd, not the way its used.

Anyway, post your thoughts on this head hurting topic.

I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance
I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2002, 10:44:16 PM »
That's 50 pounds of Bologna.
Of course it wouldn't be able to run GCN games, they're on a proprietary media. They have a different band width on the disc, have totally different data encryption, not to mention they're a different SIZE than your standard DVD. It probably wouldn't be able to play Xbox stuff either, because of the data format.
It was just the guy making something up to see if he sounded like he knew something you didn't. You know, people do that all the time.
Once, this guy told me that he had a Game Genie that could copy N64 games to SNES carts and SNES to NES... dumb, huh?
Oh, and if you look at most software licenses, they usually say they're for use on ONE computer... this is an example of how the copyright protects how you use the software as well.

Dexter, boy genius...Dexter, the cookie

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 10/10/2002 9:50:21 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2002, 10:47:22 PM »
Yep. There's just too much ignorance in this world.

I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2002, 10:57:25 AM »
oh yeah, well i once heard that if i roll around in a feild of dasies enough that when i go home to play super mario sunshine waluigi will come out and kill mario and then king boo will become princess peach and my dog will turn into a dragon and kill godzilla and take his place as rightfull tokeyo-ne'er-do-well.
"Tetris: the movie"
Yeah, I can see that. A guy throwing bricks out of a window for 2 hours.

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 02:21:19 PM »
Yeah, I heard about doing that, but when I tried to play after, my video game was interrupted for a special announcement: Tokyo is on fire! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 10:09:35 PM »
Yeah, well, as long as Kyoto's safe... heh heh
Not only is it where Shigeru Miyamoto's from, but it's our sister city/state/prefect whatever. That's Tulsa, in case you were wondering.
You know what's funny... is how people say To-kee-yo and Kee-yo-to, and really, it's To-k'yo, and K'yo-to... Kyo being one syllable.

Oh, and I heard that Starfox Adventures rules... and whoever said that was right. (It was me)

None shall dispute my word!
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2002, 04:43:33 PM »
I have a friend who told me that he KNEW how to put GCN games on a snes cart. lotta bull.

If it cannot break out of it's shell, the chick will die without being born. We are the chicken. The world is our egg. Smash the world shell! For the revolution of the world!-the student council, "Utena Revolutionary Girl"
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2002, 04:52:26 PM »
On top of that. a gamecube and xbox hve different controllers than a "ps3". The game wouldn't know what it was doing.
 Oh and by the way, sick your dog on Sadam. Mwahahahahahaha!!

If it cannot break out of it's shell, the chick will die without being born. We are the chicken. The world is our egg. Smash the world shell! For the revolution of the world!-the student council, "Utena Revolutionary Girl"
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2002, 07:42:40 PM »
The controllers aren't really an issue.  I have a controller that works on a n64 and playsation, so I sure one could be made to work with the GC and PS3.

Hey "weird", your right on the names.  I have a Japaneze friend who also teach Physics named Ryono.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2002, 07:55:13 PM »
They do have to change controls for game ports. In most multi-platform games, there are slightly different button combinations and such that must be corrected.

Most people here call me "CW" if they don't want to type my whole name, and I can see why they wouldn't, sometimes.

That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2002, 10:53:27 PM »
Yeah!

Why would you want to play a really cool gc game with some crappy ps1 carbon copy control pad when youl could play the same thing on a better looking system with the best controller out there that THE GAME WAS DESIGNED FOR!!!

Let's look at button counts:

N64:
Action buttons: 6
Analog sticks: 1
d-pads: 1
Shoulder buttons: 2
convieniently placed Z trigger: 1

ps1:
action: 4
analog: 2
d-pad:1
shoulder: 4
innovative placed button: 0

GCN:
Action: 4
analog:2
d-pad: 1
shoulder: 3
allnew sensitive shoulder buttons that ps1 don't have: 2

ps2:
action: 4
analog: 2
d-pad:1
shoulder: 4
innovative placed button: 0

xbox:
action: 4?
Analog: 2
shoulder: 2
oddly placed button that I don't know about because I've never looked for it: clueless.

As you can see, It never would work, even if you could hook up different controllers to the ps3, which would be more copyright infringement.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2002, 12:18:57 AM »
xbox:
action: 6
shoulder: 2 hair triggers (or whatever)
Analog: 2
crummy junk: 100%

Dede jxucc tajfiko mo neht!
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2002, 02:22:22 PM »
You are all forgetting the Controller S for the Xbox. It's the new SMALLER controller that is shaped much like the PS2/PS1 controller (in my opinion, it is far easier to use).
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2002, 10:45:38 PM »
I'd just as soon use a keyboard over an xbox controller-the big x in the middle takes up too much space.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2002, 11:18:03 PM »
Yeah, but XBox stole the GC controller design and painted it black, and voíla, a "controller S", with a couple rearranged GameCube buttons. They should think of their OWN original design.

Dedo jxucc tajfiko mo neht!
That was a joke.

Print