Print

Author Topic: It's the 3DS!  (Read 50666 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
The DS will go HD and 3D before the Wii.  This gives me mixed feelings. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
They did with the DSi.

Ah right. I try to pretend that never existed.

And unlike my dislike of WarioWare, I DO have good reasons to dislike the DSi.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »
There were nine years between the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. Six between the DS and its follow-up isn't that bad by comparison.
GBC -> GBA  three years
GBA -> DS     three years

It's bad.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 12:31:58 AM »
Which GBA: the original release or the GBASP?

I think it's too soon for another DS iteration. DSlites, DSi's, and the upcoming DSXL are (or will, in case of XL) still selling pretty strongly, and they're still making good games for these systems (not just the puzzle game fillers that typically come near the end of a system's life).

I know the comic has nothing to do with the subject, but that word made me think of that comic..
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:16:05 AM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 05:49:06 AM »
GBC -> GBA  three years
GBA -> DS     three years
If anything, those systems' lifespans were shorter than usual (and the original Game Boy's lifespan far longer than the norm), since the system cycle is normally about five years. But I see what you're saying, especially since it'll have been close to seven years between systems by the time the 3DS actually comes out.

Also, GBA compatibility isn't that big a deal. Just play games on an Actual GBA. (This also applies to people who ***** and moan about not being able to play PS2 games on their PS3, though it's understandable there with such a small number of games worth playing on the PS3.)

And he means the original, obviously, Toad. The SP can be treated as you would the DS Lite.

And the 3DS hopefully won't just be another iteration of the DS. If even half the rumors are close to the truth, it'll be a completely new system that happens to also be compatible with DS games.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 06:02:50 AM »
Also, GBA compatibility isn't that big a deal. Just play games on an Actual GBA. (This also applies to people who ***** and moan about not being able to play PS2 games on their PS3, though it's understandable there with such a small number of games worth playing on the PS3.)
It would help if my GBA and PS2 still worked...

Also, have you considered that even with access to a GBA, you don't get the same backlighting and vibrant colors the DS Lite provides?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:37 AM »
Assuming this is real, Nintendo really dropped the ball not including GBA capability. Yes, yes, I can always play on a GBA, but it's still nice to have.

octopus gun
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 07:12:29 AM »
Turtlekid, have you considered that you do with a newer SP (which you could pick up for about $20 at a used game store)? Or better yet, on the Game Boy Player (same as long as you didn't get rid of your GameCube)? (And PS2s are pretty cheap now too.)

Glorb, have you considered that including the GBA architecture in the system would make it physically larger and cost more to make?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:13 AM »
How much more? Early models of the PS3 that could play PS2 and PS1 games actually included the chips for them (or at least the one for PS2).

Octopus Gun
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:54 AM »
Has anybody at all considered that there's generally not a separate lane for horses on the highway? I love the GBA, too, but we've all got to move on at some point.

Also, the 3D thing will definitely give them a leg up, but it sounds pretty crude, and it doesn't take much imagination to ponder the gimmicky crap we're going to have to suffer through before, if ever, it gets put to good use.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »
Heck, I'll take gimmicky 3D over a gimmicky touch screen any day.  At least 3D isn't nearly as hard to use creatively.

...in theory, anyway.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
I'd be inclined to say the same, if it didn't sound like the 3D is going to be that Paper Mario-esque "layers" tripe that's currently infiltrating every theater in the country. Heck, at least with the original DS, you could count on two dozen games about magical writing implements, but about all I can think of for faux-3D is a couple "hey, look, there's such a thing as spatial dimensions!" Super Paper Mario gimpers. That, and shoehorning excuses to have random crap fly at my face.

...Actually, in all seriousness, you know what series will be perfect for this thing? DQ-style RPGs.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
How much more? Early models of the PS3 that could play PS2 and PS1 games actually included the chips for them (or at least the one for PS2).
Did you notice that when they took out PS2 backwards compatibility they also dropped the MSRP by two hundred bucks? (Also, PSX compatibility on the PS3 is via emulation.)
Regardless, the effect including GBA hardware in the new system would have on the system's size and/or shape would probably be greater than the effect it would have on the cost.

And Turtlekid, ShadowBrian, I'm guessing neither of you guys have played a lot of DS games that really use the touchscreen well. They're out there! And didn't really take that long to come out!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 10:17:56 AM »
Um...I didn't even know there was anyone around who still called the touch screen on the DS "gimmicky". Oh well, I guess you learn something new every day.

Octopus Gun
every

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 04:30:57 PM »
PS1 on my PS3 is done through the Emotion Engine I believe (which also handles PS2), not emulation. It's probably emulation on PS3s now though.
That was a joke.

Print