Print

Author Topic: Mobile Gaming General  (Read 8346 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
EDIT: Changed thread title to reflect broader topic.

Alright, so I'm getting a fourth-gen iPod touch on Wednesday (technically Thursday morning - I'm picking it up at midnight when I get paid). I'll have access to most of the apps available for iOS - the main concern is, what games should I be looking for?

Here's the current list of games I'm already getting:
-Every CAVE iOS game (DoDonPachi Resurrection, Espgaluda II, DeathSmiles, Mushihime-sama Bug Panic, and when it comes out, Bug Princess)
-TapSonic (free rhythm game from the DJ Max publisher, with some music I like from that series available)
-Words With Friends (Scrabble)
-Hanging With Friends (Hangman)
-Angry Birds, just to annoy ShadowBrian
-The King of Fighters -i- (and probably The King of Fighters: Encounter, though that one's not as much of a game)
-jubeat plus (I'll check out Jukebeat, the US version, as well, but I'm mainly focused on the Japanese version with the real bemani songs)
-Reflec Beat (if it's iPod-capable - I know it's on iPad right now)
-Possibly Final Fantasy Tactics, if I can get over the ridiculous price
-osu! (yes, I'm jailbreaking my device)

Anything important/cool that I'm missing? I'm also open to suggestions for non-game apps.

EDIT: Forgot a few:

-World of Goo
-various PopCap stuff
-Space Invaders: Infinity Gene
-Groove Coaster
-Infinity Blade
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:01:23 PM by WarpRattler »

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »
Donut Games gives one of their games for free on Mondays. They're decent little puzzle-like games. Good to waste a few minutes. Spikeys bounce and their breakout knockoff are very good.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:33:08 AM »
I remembered in the course of discussing stuff with some people elsewhere that the Ace Attorney games and Ghost Trick are all on iOS...

...but only the first Ace Attorney game is in English. God[darnit], Capcom.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:05:02 AM »
Man I bet my dad would like Ghost Trick. I'd make him play it if it came out on iOS here
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
Minecraft is on iOS for 7 bucks, but it's also on Androids, which are a [dukar]load cheaper if you get the right phone. :)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:40:54 PM »
So it turns out osu! was released on the App Store at some point, with some really cool licenses. That's good to know.

I also found this.

I don't want Minecraft on a portable device when it's Creative-only, because that's not why I'd be interested in the game. And an Android phone would be more expensive than an iPod touch, because I already have a phone under contract.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 01:15:15 PM »
I know this isn't related to iOS, but Windows Phone has a lot of games currently on Xbox Live like Assassin's Creed and such, and more games are being developed for it all the time (I'm even making one).
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 03:12:31 PM »
So it turns out osu! was released on the App Store at some point, with some really cool licenses. That's good to know.

I also found this.

I don't want Minecraft on a portable device when it's Creative-only, because that's not why I'd be interested in the game. And an Android phone would be more expensive than an iPod touch, because I already have a phone under contract.
Minecraft will have Survival soon, and I thought that you were getting an iPhone.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
From the first post:
fourth-gen iPod touch
lrn2readingcomprehension

Anyway, when Minecraft Portable has Survival and some of the actual features of the PC version that I'd be interested in, I'll look into it. Until then, I'm unlikely to touch it (aside from downloading the Lite version to see how well it runs).

Kimimaru, yeah, I know. I had a training course at work where I got to use a Windows Phone 7 device for a day - customize it, use it as my own phone, and so on - and I loved it, especially the LIVE integration (for that day, I basically got paid to earn achievements in some of the free titles). Once I'm up for my upgrade (which probably isn't until next year), if there's a good Windows Phone 7 (or, more likely, Windows 8) device available on Verizon, that'll probably be what I go with.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 07:30:11 PM »
Junk Jack. It's amazin'.

Also, both of the Call of Duty Nazi Zombies games are pretty awesome, though I'd recommend only getting the first one because currently it's cheaper and has more maps, and the Black Ops has performance problems (but it has the top-down Dead Ops Arcade mode, which runs fine).

Oh yes, and Doom. It's perfect.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:33:38 PM by Ninjap00 »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:22:19 PM »
I don't know if I'll buy Doom, but Wolfenstein 3D on iOS is $1.99 and includes Spear of Destiny, which makes it a no-brainer.

I found out previously that the first four episodes of sound novel series Higurashi: When They Cry are on iOS, with a pretty neat pricing scheme: the first episode is ninety-nine cents, while the other three are $6.99 each. I know I'll definitely buy the first episode at that price.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
So far:
-TapSonic, Groove Coaster, osu!stream, and Jukebeat are all excellent.
-I bought Zoo Keeper because it was a dollar. Good Engrish match-3 fun.
-I haven't bought any of the CAVE stuff yet, but I'll definitely be picking up DeathSmiles and Bug Panic. DoDonPachi Resurrection and Espgaluda II don't really have any advantages over their console ports, and Bug Princess isn't out yet for me to know if I'll get that, but the smartphone mode in DeathSmiles seems like it'll be fun, and Bug Panic is iOS-exclusive, so if I want to play more of it I'll have to buy this version.
-I didn't buy The King of Fighters -i- because it didn't have Athena Asamiya in it. The King of Fighters: Encounter, which is a free social game involving KoF characters, does have her.
-I found a couple of other free games that are really fun: ElectroMaster and HungryMaster, two arcade-style games from a small Japanese dev. I laughed out loud when I launched ElectroMaster for the first time and saw a screen-alignment grid with scanlines.

Oh, and the MP3 player functions of this MP3 player I bought are excellent too, except that iTunes itself sucks.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
So, I've recently been playing Kairosoft's management sims Game Dev Story and Grand Prix Story.

In Game Dev Story, you manage an up-and-coming game development studio for twenty years, starting with humble PC-based origins and eventually moving up to developing for platforms like the Intendro Whoops. My studio, Box of Mice (thanks, Fifth), was known for its well-polished niche titles that never failed to sell millions of copies and gather high review scores, including their beloved visual novel series Dragon & Dumpling.

Meanwhile, in Grand Prix Story, my racing team, SAY SPEED RAVE (thanks, Tatsh & Naoki), is still up and coming, having just finished their last race of their first year, but they're already shaping up into one of the hottest teams around, already known for their sleek cars wot go fast.

Kairosoft has several other games as well, and all of them are proving to be pretty fun so far. Highly recommended for those with iOS devices (and I believe at least Game Dev Story is on Android, if that's how you roll) and a few bucks to spare.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 09:35:34 PM »
Minecraft Pocket Edition is getting Survival this month.
BUY IT.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 02:06:20 AM »
Forget Minecraft, man. I just found out the iOS version of Ghost Trick was released in English a week and a half ago.

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57:31 PM »
...and I just bought both of those! The App Store and Steam are like wallet vacuums!
I also plan on buying an iControlPad because I recently found out the you can map taps and swipes to it with a Jailbroken app called Bluetrol (this makes
it compatible with every iOS game with a virtual pad), and because if it's still on sale after it's restocked I will be able to get it for $30 less with my
gift certificate.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:26 PM »
SpaceChem Mobile is on sale for $1.99 (normally $5.99) until February 22nd.

Maybe this way I'll finally get around to playing the game!

(Ghost Trick is excellent so far.)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »
Turns out SpaceChem Mobile is iPad-only. [darn].

However, I did download the free iOS version of Ticket to Ride yesterday. Haven't played it yet because I've been busy with Ghost Trick.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »
Tim Rogers made an iOS game!

It's really good and only costs a dollar!

You guys should buy it!

You Android users should buy it when that version comes out!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:29 AM »
Because We May

Not just mobile stuff, but iOS and Android games make up the majority of sale items here. I've already grabbed a bunch of stuff from this sale.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
Minecraft now has craf- Ow, why did you slap me.
I actually have been playing Angry Birds Space. It's like Super Mario Galaxy, but with realistic gravity.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
Angry Birds is nothing like Super Mario Galaxy.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 06:03:50 AM »
Lately I've been playing a free iOS card game from Square Enix called Guardian Cross. It's more or less a social game, with the main draws being that it's designed by the guy who created the Active Time Battle system and that the cards have nice art.

Like many card games, the actual gameplay lies in the deckbuilding, but Guardian Cross takes it one step further by completely automating battles. Its card-collecting system is also rather odd; instead of buying booster packs, you earn tickets for hunting grounds, where you capture monsters by shooting them with a sniper rifle (which apparently turns them into cards).

The game itself is okay enough, but suffers from a worse version of the Pokémon multiplayer problem, where some cards just aren't viable for competitive play. This is made worse by the ability to pay Real Money for access to a special course where you'll only find rare monsters (which do appear in the normal course, but far less often, of course).

Anyway, if anyone wants to try out the game, it's iOS-only right now, but it's free, and if you use the invite code AV24795 while the launch promo is still going, you get a free Final Fantasy XI Mandragora card.

In other news, REFLEC BEAT plus (iOS port of a pretty fun touch-based Konami arcade rhythm game) had an update last month that changed which devices it's compatible with. It was iPad-only when it launched, but it can now be played on any current iOS device, which fortunately includes my iPod touch.

The game itself is mad fun. Rather than trying to explain it, here's a video of the arcade version (minus fingers):

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDRwpoZI-c" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfDRwpoZI-c</a>

Note that only the bottom half is a human player in this video, but the game does have a versus mode (which isn't available on my device at the moment, but will probably be added as a local Wi-Fi option like in jubeat plus) for two humans.

Unlike jubeat plus, REFLEC BEAT plus is very playable on a smaller screen, without any real gameplay or vision issues. Unfortunately, very much like jubeat plus, REFLEC BEAT plus is very expensive if you want to play a large variety of songs, and unlike jubeat plus, there isn't an English version of REFLEC BEAT plus, so you need a Japanese credit card to purchase song packs (the game itself is free and includes three songs, but requires a Japanese Apple ID, which is also free but can take a bit of effort to set up) or some jailbreak stuff to get it for free (oddly, from Konami's own servers).

Print